Windy Morning Double

cathntr

Thursday evening I had contated the owner of a piece of property I have permission to hunt right outside of town and told her I would be out this morning. Little did I know that when I woke up, the wind would be blowing 15 to 20 mph out of the northwest. This is a bad wind direction for this property as its open crop fields with timber to the southeast. My scent would be blowing right to where the coyotes are going to come from. Normally I would of just curled back up in bed and and waited until the evening to see if the wind was going to die down but I decided to go ahead and get around since she was expecting me.

I left my house at about 10 minutes till 7 being that I only had 6 miles to drive. I arrived just as it was getting light enough to see. I parked my truck in the normal spot and gathered my things to make the grueling 50 yard walk to where I like to set up. There was a downed tree so I used it to my advantage to give myself more of a back drop. I walked out and place my Fury about 30 yards straight south of my position. I had planned on using a decoy but the ground was too frozen so it set this one out. I got back to where I was going to set up and flopped out my new Gobbler Lounger and had a seat. Slapped the Stoney Point bipod onto my ar and let things settle down for a couple minutes.

Once I felt that things were back to calm I fired up the Fury on volume 20 playing Tony Tebbe's cowtip cottontail. I planned on just letting the caller run with the wind gusting like it was to give incoming predators a better chance of locking down where the sound was coming from. The wind proved not to be a problem as I had a hard charger bust out of the timber at the 3 minute mark heading straight for the call. Once I felt she was getting close to my scent cone I hit mute and she stopped. I centered the cross hairs and sent a 50gr. v-max her way and thats where she took her last breath. At the shot, my Fury began playing pup distress 3. After a couple minutes there wasnt anymore takers so I went back to playing cowtip cottontail.

At the 15 minute mark I decided to switch back to hurt pup 3 to finish out the stand. 30 seconds into it another hard charger came through the trees in the same spot as the first one. This one didnt make it quite as far as the first bc she caught the wind of her downed sister and came to a stop. Another v-max and coyote number 2 was on the ground. She began to do the death spin so I fired a quick follow up shot to ease the suffering. Somehow while all this was going on I missed seeing a third coyote come out behind the second one. Once I realized this it was already at full speed ahead so I fired a warning shot to let it know its time is soon coming to an end. Once she was about 500 yards out just to crest over a little hill she stopped back for one more luck but no shot was fired. Another day and it will be mine. I left the coyotes where they were at and headed to my next stand. 20 minutes of calling and I called it quits. Two stands with three coyotes called in and two down. Not a bad way to start the day. Wish I would of had more time but I had prior plans to install some flooring for my aunt so I was done hunting for the day.

I got back to where my first stand was and snapped a couple pictures and then took my gear back to the truck before dragging them out. Both were medium size females. If you look in the first picture you can see the coyotes laying there about 20 yards apart. I talked to the owners husband for awhile after packing them out and then headed home to get ready to do some work. In the middle of laying some floor I got a text from a very happy lady. This makes 3 coyotes ive taken off this farm in the last two time I have hunted it. She feels that with each one I kill, her ducks and chickens are a little safer so she is more than happy to have me back. Thanks for reading and good hunting. Josh

DSC03924.jpg

DSC03925.jpg

DSC03926.jpg

HOMAnimated_zpsa2612f08.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Grueling hunt, glad you made it out ok...
smile.gif
I'm grumbling and jealous, I walked nearly six miles through the timber in the Mark Twain Thursday and made a bunch of stands without convincing anything other than some hawks to come eat me. Didn't see much coyote sign in the snow in this place either. We just got another 6” inches of snow last night with more predicted for Monday. Gonna make those Ozark hills tougher to get around in. Seriously, nice job on your coyotes, keep piling them up.

I put 300 miles on the vehicle and spent 10 straight hours hunting up north a couple weeks ago and couldnt of bought a coyote. Conditions were what I would call perfect, little to no wind, overcast skys, and temps in the low 30's. 1300 acres and the only thing I called in was a bald eagle which was a first for me. Drive 5 minutes from home and been staching them up.

Back