how do i know how deep to seat the bullet?

You use all or one of the above ways to figure out how long it has to be for the bullet to be touching the lands. From there you begin testing new loads for that particular gun. Start at maybe .050 off the lands and try several loads varying the powder charge slightly. Once you find your best load you can try different seating depths to move the bullet closer to the lands and/or further away from the lands using you best load. Keep your targets and log your data. Pretty soon you will see a trend and you're a reloader!

Last edited:
Interesting article in the December issue of Handloader Magazine about chamber pressure revelations by Terry Wieland starting on page 46. He makes reference to a study done a long time ago by Lloyd E. Brownell PhD. The article translates the scientific approach taken by Brownell and puts it more into everyday understandable language.

There are 12 parts that the original study mentioned as having an effect on chamber pressure. Read Parts 6 & 7 about seating depth and freebore.

I'm sure there are some who would poop on the article but it does make you think.

Originally Posted By: CatShooter

A company designs a cartridge, and applies to SAAMI for acceptance. The cartridge (and firearms for it) may be on the market for a year or two, before SAAMI publishes standards (or, in the case of the Nosler 280 improved) rejects them.

Just curious and off topic but why was the 280 Nos Imp rejected?

Originally Posted By: smith1559I also cut the neck of a full length sized brass, insert the bullet of choice and using a magic marker I color the whole bullet. Then chamber, if the bullet sticks in the rifleing just knock it out and put it back in the brass and push it back to the line that was left with the marked bullet. I come back .01-.02 to start my loading. Here is what the modified cases look like...Jason

315D3627-6F10-4908-9B18-024CED2DF417-5573-00000734CA70B067.jpg

Dude, Dremel has a ultra thin cut off wheel that really makes a very thin cut, works very well when you cut ever so slightly into the neck.

ONLY cut one slice in the neck on one side, not through both sides.

Good luck

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1happyshooterOriginally Posted By: CatShooter
A company designs a cartridge, and applies to SAAMI for acceptance. The cartridge (and firearms for it) may be on the market for a year or two, before SAAMI publishes standards (or, in the case of the Nosler 280 improved) rejects them.

Just curious and off topic but why was the 280 Nosler Imp rejected?

A conflict in dimensions with an obscure production run by the Rem Custom Shop. SAAMI really does "do their homework".

Nosler had to change the dimensions before it was approved.

Would setting up a collett die to put light tension on the case neck work.
Chamber a seated round (no primer or powder). Then use this case as a dummy round to adjust your seater down from ?

Back