Savage 11 Hog Hunter

adrenaline151

Does anyone have any experience with the Savage Model 11 Hog Hunter rifle? It looks like it would make a decent coyote rig for not a ton of money.

Last edited:
I have one en route from Bud's as we speak. I thought the same as you as to its utility as a coyote rifle. I just like the idea of iron sights and the options provided by the threaded barrel are cool, too. I was considering a Stevens 200 and ran across the Hog Hunter. The sights, heavier threaded barrel, and accu-trigger convinced me to spend the extra $100.
Mine's in .223 and I'll be putting a Redfield 2-7x, that I already own, on it.
UPS says by the end of the day next Thursday. I hope to have the scope mounted and get it sighted in for the weekend.

I don't have a hog hunter but I have several savage bolt guns and they are good solid products. I to think there is some real utility in the way the hog hunter is laid out.

Originally Posted By: YellowhammerThe hog hunter is model 11 isn't it?

What difference do the iron sights make if you are putting a scope on it?

The irons appeal to me because I like the idea of iron sights. I have an inherent distrust of tiny, meticulous mechanisms. The scope is undoubtedly more susceptible to failure than iron sights (Yes, I know that there are scopes available at sufficient cost so as to be almost indestructable). I like that the rifle would not be useless without the scope.

I did some online research on this model (google is your friend).

Mostly positive but did run across a negitive review about a rusted bolt.

Some videos on youtube:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=G9PMLXP0pNY&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DG9PMLXP0pNY

I have one in .308 no rust or any issues. The straight stack magazine can be a little hard to load at times. Just not much room to work with a scope on it. No big deal though. I love mine. It will shoot 1.5 with remington core lock and right at .75 with federal 168 match. Trigger is sweet med con barrel is just about perfect. Ill be getting one in .223 in the near future.

Back