Fracking... What Do You Think?

woodguru

There is actually a hot debate on the hill here, the head of the EPA resigned in the middle of this hotly charged issue.

What do you all think, is there a problem or does the right think this is another left big deal about nothing?

We had Halliburton exempted in 2006 from all environmental and air quality regulations, no oversight of what chemicals are being used, and a total free pass for future pollution and cleanups.

If this fracking is so safe why would this special dispensation have been necessary?

Originally Posted By: woodguruThere is actually a hot debate on the hill here, the head of the EPA resigned in the middle of this hotly charged issue.

What do you all think, is there a problem or does the right think this is another left big deal about nothing?

We had Halliburton exempted in 2006 from all environmental and air quality regulations, no oversight of what chemicals are being used, and a total free pass for future pollution and cleanups.

If this fracking is so safe why would this special dispensation have been necessary?

The way I understand it is she resigned because she was caught up in the scandal of using 'alias' in her email programs so her email weren't audited.'Secret emails', I wonder what was on them?

I regards to 'fracking', who knows for sure if it's safe or not. I haven't seen any factual evidence either way. Halliburton, was probably given the go ahead with the exemptions from EPA so it could operate without never ending regulations put into place by enviromentals. Being a big political contributor could have helped.

The state of North Dakota found no issues with the process what so ever. Told the EPA to go the he11 back to DC and do whatever they do down there, that they'd take care of ND.

In defense of the process... ND acquifers are found from 40 to 800 feet deep. Fracking there is taking place at depths of 12,000 to 15,000 feet deep. Over 2 miles of below the acquifer. Kinda difficult to justify a problem as a result of fracking there.

I saw a program a while back on PBS about fraking in Wyoming(I believe it was)where the ranchers were up in arms because of the water pollution it was causing.

I haven't seen any problems with fracking that can be scienetficly proven..lots of enviornmentalists spewing lies about stuff, but nothing that has been proven..I don't see how the proccess can cause any real damage, but then I am not an engneer either..so take it for what it's worth..

Originally Posted By: BAYSTATE YOTEThat evil Haliburton again...

When you get in the mud and wrestle with a pig,you get dirty,and only the pig likes it.......

It`s all about power and money, not necessarily in that order, and some could care less if it`s right or wrong as long as the money is good. IMO, don`t matter what side of the aisle your on there are issues with politics that just aren`t right.
I DVR recorded a `documentary` type movie regarding fracking the other day but have not watched it yet. I don`t know if the rumors are true or not but I remember hearing stories about being able to set tap water on fire after the ground water was polluted...wt?..lol

Isn't it funny that the libs would be all up in arms about anything relating to oil. They want to drive their beamers and humvees though. Fracking, whether good or evil wouldn't be necessary if they allowed us to drill the massive fields we have available without major court battles. Let's see now someone remind me who stopped 99% of drilling here?

Originally Posted By: azmastablastaIsn't it funny that the libs would be all up in arms about anything relating to oil. They want to drive their beamers and humvees though. Fracking, whether good or evil wouldn't be necessary if they allowed us to drill the massive fields we have available without major court battles. Let's see now someone remind me who stopped 99% of drilling here?

I was in Fort Hood in 1975 and the oil fields were going like crazy everywhere. There was a Mexican in our company that would go AWOL every once in a while and go work in the oil fields. I think he said he was making around $25 an hour. He would be back in a few weeks in time so he wouldn't be charged with desertion. Even after the Article 15 he figured it was worth all the money he made. But that was only part of the story. The last time he went AWOL he got caught with something like 50 pounds of marijuana he was bringing across the border. It seems like it was somewhere around 1980 that I heard the government had the oil wells capped and we started being the Arabs favorite customer.

Keep the FRACKING going!

My family (Williston ND) currently has 2 wells free flowing 500 barrels per well a day, and, soon too be another pad added on one of them:)

NICE!!

DDW.. Youre Buyin Lunch!
lol.gif

And Dinner!

The land belongs to my mom, it has been passed down from her grandparents.

I am still waiting fer my check!

Nothing in the mail today:-(

one of my best friends works in the oil fields in ND. So I get to ask questions and get a straight answer
its a pretty interesting process actually, and seems to be working well.
the only problem that I have is the amount of water they need to use for the fracking process, it a huge amount.

and since that part of ND tends to be dry alot of years, I think its gonna hurt em in the long run. I hope im wrong [beeep]

That being said, I have just read/heard that they are making huge advancements on being able to reuse the water, I believe its up around 40%, which is a good thing.

other than that i dont have much of a problem with it.

Last edited:
....its funny you mention that because I'm the guy that goes out and recycles that water and makes it reusable. Not in that exact area but out here in w. Texas.

Originally Posted By: elixys....its funny you mention that because I'm the guy that goes out and recycles that water and makes it reusable. Not in that exact area but out here in w. Texas.

That's very interesting, please describe how the process works.

I think we need to do everything possible to NOT send out dollars to the likes Saudi Arabis and Argentina for too many reasons write here. I am a huge proponent developing our own energy where economically and environmentally possible.

That being said, I saw a documentary on HBO the other week on franking that has me wondering how good it is for the adjacent landowner.
I saw homeowners where their water wells were pumping muddy water to the spigot. I saw dozens of instances where the homeowner could put a lighter to their water coming out of the spigot and it would create a huge fireball because there was so much methane in the water. I saw numerous rivers where all living organisms were dead because too much methane. Birds and rabbits were found dead all over the place. This guy found a place at the edge of the river that has hundreds of places that had gas bubbles coming up out of the water. he would put a cone over the bubbles and put a lighter at the point of the cone and it would be like a flame thrower. There are over 200 chemicals that are pumped into the ground to fracture the ground, many are toxic and cancer causing. To boot, the companies that are drilling are supposedly not subject to the Clean Water Act laws, known as the Halliburton Exception. Homeowners have to prove that the cracking directly caused the well water problems with costly lawsuits. Now they want to frack in the mountain area that creates the drinking water for NYC and New Jersey.

Just regurgitating what I saw on the documentary, so don't kill the messenger on this one.

No fracking here but the corn for ethanol craze is taking it's toll also. Every wet spot is being drained and every blade of grass and tree line is plowed under for corn. Water does not get a chance to soak into the ground to replenish the ground water supplies and with the amount of water being used for ethanol production in them plants it's getting draining faster than it can be replaced.

If this keeps up I can see us heading back into the dust bowl days.

Back