Savage 24 over/under combo - .223/12 ga - Who's got one?

IAyoteHNTR

Curious to know who has one of these guns and what you think of it. Ever since I saw one I've wanted one and was curious how they shoot. 12 ga pattern while shooting thru a scope, etc?

I keep thinking this would make a great all purpose coyote gun!

I think I might sell my $750 custom pool cue that I never use to finance a purchase of one of these if I can find one.

Show me some pics if you got some.

Thanks.

Trevor

Last edited:
I had one about 10 years ago. Bought it thinking it would be the ultimate coyote gun. Couldn't ever keep the scope mount solid while shooting the 12 ga. no matter what I tried. Even sent it to Savage and they failed. Sold it.

Moosetrot

Had one - gone and good riddance. Heavy, bulky and cumbersome, trigger was terrible, couldn't keep the scope sighted in and when the rifle barrel was sighted in the shotgun barrel wasn't.

I have the 222 over 20ga I love it partly because of some family history and it's a great coyote gun. I put some raised rings on it so I can just use the shotgun under the scope.

Owned one for a few years, the concept is great, ergonomics suck. Mine shot well and the scope was useable for the shot barrel also but 20ga is a little short on power needed to wait till they were close in. Ergonomics, to be able to use the scope quickly I had to mount it too low to cock the hammer and sellect the barrel, putting higher rings solved that problem but then had to lift my cheek off the stock to use the scope.

There are a number of O/U combos for right around $1000 that are alot better. 12ga over a number of good predator cartridges, with two triggers so selletion is quick, my curret one even has a set trigger on the rifle.

This is the Bernadelli in my avatar

Dogsandrifles008.jpg

Last edited:
I've got a .22 over .410. Loved that gun growing up. I single handedly eradicated the cottontail rabbit population in a 2 mile radius of my parents house growing up. It's in rough shape now as I didn't take very good care of it when I was a kid and dad has had it in a closet for 20 years. I'm in the process of restoring it.

Chupa

Still have a Savage 24 V. It is 222. on top 20 gauge on bottom. It was my first coyote gun my dad let me carry when I was about 12. I'm 35 now, so she has seen some miles. We have ours set up with a scope mounted on see-through rings. So when they get to close you can use the shotty. My dad swears up and down it is the best coyote rig he has ever owned. He's working on getting it a little up to date. He's refinished the stock, replaced trigger guard, and it needs new glass. Comparing it to our nice bolt guns or AR's isn't fair, but it has it's place.

i have one. shoots decent. mine has laminate stock. never thought the shotgun patterned like it should. also have 2 camp models 22 over 20. a 357 over 20 and a 22mag over 20

Back