Lets hear from WV!

We need to lobby for changes to the regs. During what should be some of the most productive time of the year we are restricted to fields...Quoted from the regs...

Coyotes may be hunted year round.
Hunting coyotes at night using any color artificial light is legal
from January 1 thru July 31.
Firearms legal for night coyote hunting are shotguns with #2
or smaller shot and rifles and handguns of .22 caliber centerfire
or smaller and .22 caliber rimfire or smaller.
During closed small game season, coyotes may only be hunted
in open fields. Guns must be cased while being transported to
and from the open field.
Electronic calls are legal.
There is no daily, annual or season bag limit.

Originally Posted By: john007Originally Posted By: bigleroyWhat scattergun load are you guys using in Wv. at night? I use #4 buck in the day, not sure what I will use at night.

Might as well use the #2 loads, I believe thats the max we can use now. Or on the 1st

Yes I am talking #2 but what ones do everybody prefer? Not to many #2 shot out there that aint steel or high dollar heavy shot.

I am faaaaar from an expert but, I just use 4 shot 3 inch turkey loads. Granted I havent shot a dog with it, but at 40 yards or so I wouldn't doubt its effectiveness. Ive killed turkey at 55 with it.

Originally Posted By: BAMMOI am faaaaar from an expert but, I just use 4 shot 3 inch turkey loads. Granted I havent shot a dog with it, but at 40 yards or so I wouldn't doubt its effectiveness. Ive killed turkey at 55 with it.

I have killed two with #4 turkey loads myself while turkey hunting,but I dont feel they are mean enough for a detiacated yote load past 30 yards max!.

Originally Posted By: BAMMOI am faaaaar from an expert but, I just use 4 shot 3 inch turkey loads. Granted I havent shot a dog with it, but at 40 yards or so I wouldn't doubt its effectiveness. Ive killed turkey at 55 with it.

Please doubt its effectiveness. You may get that lucky shot but #4 shot is not your best bet. Remington and Federal both make #2 shot. Cabelas etc. may carry them. Midway probably does but their shipping and handling will break you. Might want to check out Graf and Sons also .

Thats right. Thats the only time I ever have any luck. Went out this afternoon and didn't even see a squirrel. Bad winds didn't help. Goin to McDowell county next week. Hoping for some luck.

I hunted down in Braxton county today at our bowhunting spot. No takers or none that I seen anyways. I hope to get back out in a couple of weeks again.

Originally Posted By: wv-outdoorI hunted down in Braxton county today at our bowhunting spot. No takers or none that I seen anyways. I hope to get back out in a couple of weeks again. where at in braxton do you hunt? i go to a camp there with my buddy quite often

Nope.. I'm not from the area and have only been hunting this one farm for the last 6 years. So I'm not familiar at all with the area.

Originally Posted By: WvYotehunter65Is mason county or surrounding areas producing anything?

Yes it is , if we can just hit`em
cursing.gif

This is about all I have to show,for now anyway.Got a fox back in Jan.

Went out two Fridays ago and called 4 coyotes in,my buddy was shooting a 17HMR.180 yard shot dropped it,got back up and took off.We had a very exciting night.

EK000023_zps68e3be2a.jpg

Last edited:
Back