What's the best ar for coyote hunting

KAG is pretty much right. Any AR will take a yote, reguardless of caliber. Some are more accurate than others, so if you're expecting more than 200yd shots, you'll want to find a higher quality weapon. Rock River and Stag are both fairly accurate without being too pricy (for yotes, I use a Rock River Coyote Carbine with a Leupold Mark AR scope, shoots 55gr Hornady varmints into 1/2 inch). Some DPMS and newer Colt rigs are great shooters too, but they do turn out some "spray that way" guns as well. Give us a little more info and we can help you narrow things down a bit. What kind of terrain are you hunting in? How far are you expecting shots to be? What's your budget? Etc.

The preferred situation is to call them in close enough to hit them with a thrown rock...If you get that good, it won't matter what brand of AR you have or what accessories you hang on it...

If you don't feel comfortable building your own, almost any of the name brand factory rifles will get the job done...If you consider that the military grade rifles are equipped with iron battle sights that allow hitting a man size target at 600 yards, a Coyote at 200 yards should be a piece of cake for a decent shot...

The one you have
thumbup.gif

I personally lean towards an 18-22" fluted heavy barrel with a rifle length gas system under a free float tube, two stage trigger (Gies is best, RRA 2 stage is phenomenal, Bushy 2 stage is great). Flat top receiver or EOP, WITH forward assist and dust cover. No quad rails for me. Just a bipod mount on bottom.

That set up pretty much nails what I want for handling and balance, as well as accuracy. I don't want a lot of bells and whistles, just a fast cycling rifle that I can handle easily and get fur on the ground.

Off the shelf, I'd be hard pressed to say there's one that I really like, since I'm spoiled by tinkering on my own, but there are plenty out there that meet my requirements.

A loaded one...

I didn't know there were any choices, I thought all AR's were Bushmaster's? Does the media know about this? Surely this can't be true...
wink.gif

To the OP, any AR will work just fine, but I would suggest a Specialized Dynamics AR15. The guns I have gotten from Scott have been awesome shooters. Even a CMMG bargin bin rifle will shoot well enough to hunt coyotes with. If you want to hunt long range varmints you may want to go ahead and get one specifically tailored to your application.

The one I have and ill even sell it to you for the low price of $3000. I only have about $750 wrapped up in it but it should be worth my asking price do to the fact that it only misses what I shoot at sometimes.

All kidding aside any ar will work just fine for coyotes. I would suggest starting out with a lower cost ar such as the DPMS Orcale or Sportical until you make sure you are going to like hunting with one. I went a different route and put a DPMS Lo-Pro 16" bull barrel on top of a NFA polymer lower. I have right at $500 into to before getting a scope. With the way prices are going up though, you may have better luck getting the Sportical that I mentioned from Wal-Mart. Last time I checked they were still selling for close to $600.

I'm not bagging on them as I have one, but in these times I would get on an order list somewhere for an forged lower. If you don't have an AR and might only be able to buy on in your life time due to finances, laws, what ever. Get one that you won't have to worry about wearing out for a really long time.

Back