Biggest reason a dog doesnt preform?

Originally Posted By: Duane@ssuMost dogs out of good breeding, fail because of the handler.
Not being a jerk, just the way it is.

Duane,

You are dead on!

You get out of a dog what you put into them, Lazy trainer = Lazy dog!

Funny a guy brought up what I posted awhile back. I was thinking about this same thing today. I have some dogs outta my stock, and some outta other stock, my thoughts where about if the dogs I got from other guys fail, is it my fault or is it the breeding, and if so can I honestly say I (as the handler) did my best? Lucky for me the pups I got from other guys are bred up real good, and they are really coming on.I hunt the feet off dogs, if they are bred to hunt they dam sure get a chance to do it. On the flip side, if a dog don't want to hunt, I don't know anyway to fix that.So breeding is very important, but once they are bred they need a "fair chance".

Originally Posted By: Dead Down WindOriginally Posted By: Duane@ssuMost dogs out of good breeding, fail because of the handler.
Not being a jerk, just the way it is.

I would strongly disagree with that. Some dogs are just culls and no matter what you put into them they are still going to be culls and some of the best breedings are still just culls. Some of the greatest bred dogs I have ever seen line bred on the top and bottom were nothing more than culls. What happened? The breeding just did not line up. Breeding is like a lottery ticket, you have a better chance of winning the loto than getting that world beater cross.

if the breeding is good the chances of culls are way lower than just breeding your stud dog to every b itch in the yard

Last edited:
Ok, so since this has gone into nreeding, ill ask this. How many of you guys have bought a pup to use as a decoy dog and got a cull? How many have ended up with a worthless dog?

im on my 1st so i ant say yet.lol. back to the feed though, i switched to a high energy feed and my dog does seem to be alot more active on stand.

My dog wants to hunt non stop. But little things make me wonder. She's about 8 months. I say "load up" she loads up. Sometimes I say "load up" and she looks at me and is just like "to [beeep] with you!"

I'm buying a shock collar

Breeding is no "sure thing" training is no "sure thing", best bet, is good breeding and lots of time in the feild. You will still have culls, but alot less, than breeding a dink to a dink, and leaving them on a chain or in a kennel.
Just my experience.

All have different personalities and some are just not right. Breeding definately helps some but some will be differentand some will wash out..Greg

i must be missing something here. From what i have seen a dog who is to be strictly a decoy dog for the majority of guys one here need a pretty small skill set.
Im basing this on what i see repeatedly on here.

#1 must be good with the family. I see that constantly. Cant say how many times i hear "family pet will be his main job" well that doesnt require any special blue ribbon bloodline. You can pick up a mut from any dog pound that will make a great pet.

#2 must be obedient and handle well. any hunting dog or pet for that matter should have a desire to please its master. If you put in your time the dog should do his part regardless of bloodlines. I have seen some dogs out of trophy stock that i would just soon shoot in the head than try to handle. Then i have seen some muts that handle like a dream.

#3 must have some drive and want to hunt. We are not talking about your dog putting on 16 miles a day running a track, or standing treed for hours. we are talking about a dog ether sitting by your side while you call, or running around and checking things out or even for some of you guys running up to a mile out and checking back in from time to time. This is also something i feel like you could get from almost any cross pretty steadily.

#4 they need to have a mix of teeth and reverse. not too much of one or the other. well to me that just totally fits several different breeds all together, not bloodline specific.

#5 They need to have enough nose to smell a two min old track. And if a decoy dog is tracking a coyote its because he is shot and bleeding. Doesnt take much nose to find a shot bleeding yote five to fifteen min old. Pretty much any cur, hound, or terrier should be able to accomplish this fairly easily.

And i dont personally think that 99% of guys on here will ever hunt their decoy dog to truly wear them out, or require any extreme endurance.

Now i know some of you guys use your dogs for much more than just decoying yotes. But then they are not strictly decoy dogs so thats a different conversation.

So after looking at it from that point of view, just how important is breeding in a decoy dog?

#1 must be good with the family. I see that constantly. Cant say how many times i hear "family pet will be his main job" well that doesnt require any special blue ribbon bloodline. You can pick up a mut from any dog pound that will make a great pet...............................

I think there are a lot of "decoy dogs" that are nothing more than companions on stand simply because guys don't hunt them enough or just can't put enough coyotes in front of them to give them experience and make them better.

Originally Posted By: Jesse lackeyi must be missing something here. From what i have seen a dog who is to be strictly a decoy dog for the majority of guys one here need a pretty small skill set.
Im basing this on what i see repeatedly on here.

#1 must be good with the family. I see that constantly. Cant say how many times i hear "family pet will be his main job" well that doesnt require any special blue ribbon bloodline. You can pick up a mut from any dog pound that will make a great pet.

#2 must be obedient and handle well. any hunting dog or pet for that matter should have a desire to please its master. If you put in your time the dog should do his part regardless of bloodlines. I have seen some dogs out of trophy stock that i would just soon shoot in the head than try to handle. Then i have seen some muts that handle like a dream.

#3 must have some drive and want to hunt. We are not talking about your dog putting on 16 miles a day running a track, or standing treed for hours. we are talking about a dog ether sitting by your side while you call, or running around and checking things out or even for some of you guys running up to a mile out and checking back in from time to time. This is also something i feel like you could get from almost any cross pretty steadily.

#4 they need to have a mix of teeth and reverse. not too much of one or the other. well to me that just totally fits several different breeds all together, not bloodline specific.

#5 They need to have enough nose to smell a two min old track. And if a decoy dog is tracking a coyote its because he is shot and bleeding. Doesnt take much nose to find a shot bleeding yote five to fifteen min old. Pretty much any cur, hound, or terrier should be able to accomplish this fairly easily.

And i dont personally think that 99% of guys on here will ever hunt their decoy dog to truly wear them out, or require any extreme endurance.

Now i know some of you guys use your dogs for much more than just decoying yotes. But then they are not strictly decoy dogs so thats a different conversation.

So after looking at it from that point of view, just how important is breeding in a decoy dog?

Now I am confused. How did "Biggest reason a dog doesnt preform?" turn into what is needed for a decoy dog. Sounds like you have decoy dogs all figured out. lol

No, not at all. The op just didnt seem to be going anywhrre other than you need a good bloodline. So i decided to take a good look at that.

Im hoping someone will prove me wrong. I wont beat around the bush anymore. I continue to see guys who have almost no knowledge what so ever of hunting dogs giving advice. It shows pretty clear to me. A perfect example was posted even after i started this thread. In the thread about shocking a dog.

I keep hearing about the stellar breading behind these decoy dogs. And the loads of hunt drive. Why because they follow you around the desert? I dont think 90% of these guys really know anything at all about the breeding of their dog, or what makes that cross good or bad. But we keep hearing about how important the blood is.

This is not directed at anyone. It is just the general attitude of a talk forum that gets me.

So, someone please prove me wrong!

Merry Christmas !

I say if it is a mutt on mutt cross and it does everthing the owner wants it to do then in their eyes it's a good dog. I thinks good blood sure helps but that does not make the dog. I have a pup that I'm going to have around 2000.00 in when she is done and I have know idea if she is going to be good or not that is the chance I took. If she does not turn out it is going to be the most expencive FREE dog anyone around here will have. I will try again. A trud is a turd no matter the breeding.IMO

Originally Posted By: Jesse lackeyNo, not at all. The op just didnt seem to be going anywhrre other than you need a good bloodline. So i decided to take a good look at that.

Im hoping someone will prove me wrong. I wont beat around the bush anymore. I continue to see guys who have almost no knowledge what so ever of hunting dogs giving advice. It shows pretty clear to me. A perfect example was posted even after i started this thread. In the thread about shocking a dog.

I keep hearing about the stellar breading behind these decoy dogs. And the loads of hunt drive. Why because they follow you around the desert? I dont think 90% of these guys really know anything at all about the breeding of their dog, or what makes that cross good or bad. But we keep hearing about how important the blood is.

This is not directed at anyone. It is just the general attitude of a talk forum that gets me.

So, someone please prove me wrong!

Merry Christmas !

LOL I just thought maybe you were going to get into the decoy dog business. Just breed any two dogs that come along. I wish I could tell you. You are right after seeing some of the stuff on here me and my dogs are really just a screwed up mess.

Jesse, i figure you can make just about any dog a decoy dog. i would just think that a lap dog or a great dane would not be the choice to go with, both for different reasons.

there are alot of breeds i would never consider. not saying it couldnt be done, but certain breeds will have natural hunting abilities.

i think a person needs to figure out what they want there dog to do on stand and then find a dog that is capable to do that.

some guys like myself has a dog that doesnt range alot while others have dogs that will travel a long ways and actually "toll" a coyote back. now, guys that have dogs like me, can probably use about any dog. but the guys that have dogs that travel a mile or so and actually find a coyote probably needs a good hunting breed type of dog.

this is just my opinion. and i will add, if i knew before i got my dog that there were dogs that acutally go out and find you a coyote, a true decoy/tolling dog, that is the direction i would have went. lesson learned. do your homework before you get into something!!!

So does the bloodline make them range? (Not being a smart azz here, this is a seriouse question)

Are certain breeds more apt to range? Or is it in the training?

Im not saying that a good bloodline isnt a good thing. For instance Duane makes it clear that his dogs are very versatile, and they will and do about anything you could need from a dog. He is breeding for nose grit, endurance........ With the type of breeding he is doing i truly think you could get a dog from him and make a tree dog, a cow dog, a cat dog, pretty versatile.

Now if all you are wanting is purely a decoy dog, do you need all of that? What are the desired traits that should be bred for to make the ideal decoy spacific dog?

Dustballs, i tries that once, and it didnt work, i just ended up bringing Ryan a truck load of culls! A few other members got some free ones also. But i couldnt afford it for long since i gave them away, and had to deliver the dogs everywhere from Oklahoma City to Indiana! I knew i should have payed more attention in economics!
Hahahahaha

Back