6.8spc vs 223 accuracy

KyScott

Im really thinking about pulling the trigger on a 6.8 spc. Are they as accurate as the 223? Ive looked at all kinds of pictures of groups but im looking for feed back from people who have both or have shot both. I have a RRA 223 coyote rifle and it is very very accurate. My reason for thinking about a 6.8 spc is because my family owns several 270wsm rifles and I already have a couple thousand pieces of lead from 90 gr sierras to 140 gr accubonds and everything in between. Planning on buying a reloader after Christmas and thought it would be nice to keep everything simple as far as lead goes. Except for my daughters 243 but I wont sacrifice accuracy to do so. Thanks ahead for the help guys and have a Merry Christmas!!!!

Yes

My wife and daughter took a total of three bucks this year with this round. Great carry in 16" barrel, low recoil, and great for hogs too.

6.8 forum is the best information resource.

I have a 6.8 SPC and the accuracy is just as good as a 223. IMO though, that's not really an issue as far as any comparison between the 2 cartridges go. Now, I have a 270 Winchester and just sold a 270 WSM, but still reload for it. You cannot really compare the 6.8 with the 270 Win or the WSM because they are totally different. I reload my 6.8 with only one bullet.....a 110 grain Sierra. Trying to go with anything heavier would be defeating the purpose of the 6.8., although lighter weight bullets would work. The 6.8 is designed to operate within a certain velocity range, and the 270 Win. and the WSM both are much faster cartridges, so you have to keep that in mind when wanting to use the same bullets to reload with. Personally, I'm not all that enthused with the 6.8, even though it has performed well in the field. It is not on par with the 22 centerfires for varmints, and it falls well below 270 Win. and WSM performance on deer. If you are a fan of the AR platform, it does have a niche and is a nice addition, as long as you don't expect too much of it.

Originally Posted By: kymailman98I have a 6.8 SPC and the accuracy is just as good as a 223. IMO though, that's not really an issue as far as any comparison between the 2 cartridges go. Now, I have a 270 Winchester and just sold a 270 WSM, but still reload for it. You cannot really compare the 6.8 with the 270 Win or the WSM because they are totally different. I reload my 6.8 with only one bullet.....a 110 grain Sierra. Trying to go with anything heavier would be defeating the purpose of the 6.8., although lighter weight bullets would work. The 6.8 is designed to operate within a certain velocity range, and the 270 Win. and the WSM both are much faster cartridges, so you have to keep that in mind when wanting to use the same bullets to reload with. Personally, I'm not all that enthused with the 6.8, even though it has performed well in the field. It is not on par with the 22 centerfires for varmints, and it falls well below 270 Win. and WSM performance on deer. If you are a fan of the AR platform, it does have a niche and is a nice addition, as long as you don't expect too much of it.

Dont get me wrong i know the 6.8 doesnt reach the ballistics of the 270wsm. Just thought it would be nice to keep things simple and have a large variety of the same caliber and even though the heavier bullets wont work in the 6.8 the lighter ones for the 6.8 will work in a 270wsm. Thanks for all the info guys. Keep it coming. Ho do the 6.8 and 223 compare in accuracy at say 300 yds?

Neither is inherantly more accurate than the other. The 223 has a flatter tragectory, but isn't really more accurate. The barrel and trigger make all the accuracy difference. I have a Bison Armory 6.8spc and a RR Coyote Carbine. Once I found what each likes to eat, they'll put up nearly matching groups (both mounted on ther same Spikes lower with a JP Ent. trigger)

Thanks again for all the info guys.

Mutthunter thats axcactly the kind of info i was looking for. How does the recoil compare? I know it doesnt kick hard just wondering how fast you can get back on target for multiple shots compared to 223.

Originally Posted By: KyScottThanks again for all the info guys.

Mutthunter thats axcactly the kind of info i was looking for. How does the recoil compare? I know it doesnt kick hard just wondering how fast you can get back on target for multiple shots compared to 223.
The the 6.8 does have a little more kick if you don't run a muzzle break (but not much more than 223, and less than a 6.5 Grendel). I put a Ops Inc. break on my 6.8 that makes it recoil very similiar to my RRA Coyote Carbine in .223Wylde with just a Smith Vortex flash hider (the break eats the recoil very well, but it does make the gun blast ya a little, and the guy next to you at the range won't like ya very much either LOUD!!!). Even without a break the 6.8 is pretty mellow and very easy to control. If your good with an AR in 223/556, you shouldn't have much trouble following up. Make sure your rig has a specII chamber and a 1 in 10 or a 1 in 11 twist and you should be good to go.

Last edited:
You can change out buffer springs and buffers on both calibers to reduce recoil quite a bit.

Your empties should be landing at 3:00 to 4:30 if not you might consider changing the above.

I have both a 6.8 SPC II, and a Colt AR 15 in 5.56. Both are 16" carbines. The 6.8 is a Bison Armory with a stainless recon profile barrel, while the Colt has an HBAR barrel. The Colt AR is very accurate, and will easily shoot half MOA out to 300 yards with my handloads. The 6.8 is not quite as accurate, but will easily shoot under an inch, and sometimes I can get under .75 inch groups with it. I handload for my 6.8 mostly using Sierra or Speer 90 grain bullets.
The 6.8 is simply not as flat shooting as my .22 centerfires, and my .243 Winchester bolt rifles. I understood this fact going in, and use my 6.8 for hunting coyotes in or near cover. This is what I built it for, and it works well for me.

Back