.225 win

rbart

Was in the local gun shop the other day and they have an old savage .225. Never heard of it before why did it die?

They came out with something called the 22.250

I have a Springfield bolt action 30-30 that has "30-30, 225 Winchester" on the magazine. They offered the 225 in the Savage model 340. The Springfield I have is the same gun as the model 340. I guess they used the same magazine as the 30-30.

Originally Posted By: rbart
"... why did it die?"

It came out at the time that Winchester underwent one of the worst production changes in their history.

It was a factory version of the .219 Donaldson Wasp, which was one of the most accurate cartridges of the time (and still is) - unfortunately, it came out in 1964, the same year that Winchester cut the quality of their rifles so much (because of union problems) that they almost went out of business... and the .225 fell victim of that mistake.

In a quality rifle, it is a more accurate cartridge than the 22-250.

The 22-250 did NOT kill the .225. It never had a chance.

It also replaced the .220 Swift in the lineup and many felt that was going backward. The .225 is a really accurate caliber. I have only shot one and it was a post-64 sporter. It hummed with a 55 grain bullet and IMR 4064.

Quote:The 22-250 did NOT kill the .225.

I guess that is a matter of opinion. Before my time, so I can't say.

Quote:If there is any cartridge the chaps at Winchester would like to forget, it is probably the .225 Winchester. Had it's obituary appeared in the "New Haven Gazette" back in the 1960's, it might have read something like this: "Born in 1964 as a replacement for the .220 Swift, Died a victim of the .22-250"............"It is doubtful that Sherlock Holmes, Charlie Chan, and a pack of thoroughbred blood hounds could detect any difference in performance between the .225 Winchester and the .22-250, but the much older wildcat had such a head start, its domestication by Remington left the .225 gasping for air like a carp out of water."

http://www.reloadbench.com/cartridges/225w.html

Originally Posted By: Yellowhammer Quote:The 22-250 did NOT kill the .225.

Quote:If there is any cartridge the chaps at Winchester would like to forget, it is probably the .225 Winchester. Had it's obituary appeared in the "New Haven Gazette" back in the 1960's, it might have read something like this: "Born in 1964 as a replacement for the .220 Swift, Died a victim of the .22-250"............"It is doubtful that Sherlock Holmes, Charlie Chan, and a pack of thoroughbred blood hounds could detect any difference in performance between the .225 Winchester and the .22-250, but the much older wildcat had such a head start, its domestication by Remington left the .225 gasping for air like a carp out of water."

Not before my time - I sold some of the first ones released. It was the first year of the post 64 Winchester, and people hated that rifle. That is what killed it - I had customers that looked at the M-70 rifles, and bought Remington 700 HBV BDLs instead.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: Yellowhammer Quote:The 22-250 did NOT kill the .225.

Not before my time - I sold some of the first ones released. It was the first year of the post 64 Winchester, and people hated that rifle. That is what killed it - I had customers that looked at the M-70 rifles, and bought Remington 700 HBV BDLs instead.

Long live the Remington 700. If the post 64 is all Wincheter could do then there you go.

Originally Posted By: CatShooter
In a quality rifle, it is a more accurate cartridge than the 22-250.

I'm not surprised that the .225 is more accurate. The .22-250 just doesn't seem to live up to it's claims in my opinion. I never got great accuracy that most claim to get.

The one I seen at the local shop is a savage 340 looks to be in good shape but I'd never heard of the cartridge.
Thanks

The sad thing is that I would take a late 60's early 70's model 70 over the rifles made in the last years of the gen 2. I have a buddy that used to work with me but "defected"... He shoots a 225 win in a beautiful late 60's rifle and it is very accurate. Same guy that I've talked about getting "burned" by model 70 stainless coyote, in .223 wssm. Rifle went back to service twice before it would chamber a round. Then when they finally got it to function, he spent a year of load work up to get it to shoot under 2" groups. But he was a die hard Win fan, and even that didn't sour his loyalty!

Originally Posted By: GregtexI have a 225 custom heavy barrel Martini action single shot. Great prarie dog gun.

Bet that's a sweet rig.
Even if Martini's are one of the ugliest actions ever.
grin.gif

Speaking of the 1964 Model 70's...I was just getting out of the Navy in Dec 64 and bought one of the new Model 70's in 30'06 it had a free floating barrel of about an 1/8th of an inch. You could fit 10 business cards down thru there. It also had impressed checkering, but I'll tell you something. That puppy killed me a lot of deer up until about 1990 when I sold it. It was a very accurate rifle. At the time I had 9 other Pre 64 Model 70's. Kinda collected em. Had one of the hard ones to get calibers, 7 mm Mauser. Wish I still had that one.
Don't have a single one left. Thats life.
I also have a Model 670 in .225 Win right now that I'm willing to sell if someone wants that caliber. It is in just about mint condition.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GregtexI have a 225 custom heavy barrel Martini action single shot. Great prarie dog gun.

Hear, hear--

img038.jpg

...and Savage Tgt. Action/8T McGowen 225 Win. 80 SMK's at 2900ish--

IMG_1003.jpg

I don't think it'll die for awhile--as enough guys use the case for TC Contender and Encore chamberings/wildcats.

Back