Speaker Noise out of Primos Alpha Dogg

SDCoyoteCaller

Guys,

A few weeks ago I purchased a Primos Alpha Dogg as something else to play around with. Already have a MA-21. Anyways, when it arrived I messed around with it a bit and was pretty impressed with its volume and sound quality. However, today I was adding some sounds to it and when I played them back I noticed some distinct speaker noise when the sound was playing. It sounded like a tap tap tap tap sound with a little crackles in there. It sort of sounds like that machine gun sound we all made with our voice when we were kids only at a slower pace. It isn't real loud, but I can't believe I wouldn't have noticed it earlier. Seems like something has gone hay wire with the thing. I wouldn't think it would be because I added new sounds to the caller, but I guess you never know. I checked some of the primos sounds and they also have this speaker noise. I didn't crank the volume up much, so I don't know if the noise gets louder as the volume increases. Kids are asleep and I didn't think my wife would appreciate me waking them up. I thought that the batteries in the caller might have been getting low, so I charged them up and it still did the same thing. Anyways, for those of you that own an Alpha Dogg, is this speaker noise normal or do I need to be concerned? Thanks.

You said the kids were asleep so I'm presuming you were in the house. You didn't happen to be near some fluorescent lights that were on did you? I don't know for sure if that's what causes it, but I've had e-callers that do what your describing in the house but don't do it when out in the prairies and away from all the crap in town.

Just something I've noticed on occasion.

doggin,

I took it outside today and it did the same thing. However, it doesn't seem to affect the sound quality and it doesn't get any louder when I turn the volume up. I think the only reason I noticed it anyways was because I was sitting right next to the caller with it on real low volume. I had a Minaska UO that had a low buzz when a sound was playing that I only noticed on low volume, but it also never affected sound quality. This maybe just normal for the Alpha Dogg. The pulsating nature of the sound was kind of weird to me though, as my UO had a low hum to it.

For those of you who have the Alpha Dogg, do you experience this kind of speaker noise? Thanks.

Mark,

Mine makes some noise too, I have had mine about a year and just noticed lately that it was making a noise. I talked to a couple guys about it this weekend and they suggested changing the batteries, saying they noticed it when there batteries got weak. I haven't got mine changed yet so I don't know if thats my problem or not but I will let you know when I do.

Originally Posted By: coyotenutMark,

Mine makes some noise too, I have had mine about a year and just noticed lately that it was making a noise. I talked to a couple guys about it this weekend and they suggested changing the batteries, saying they noticed it when there batteries got weak. I haven't got mine changed yet so I don't know if thats my problem or not but I will let you know when I do.

Let me know if that works for you, Kotton. I thought the same thing with mine, so I charged up the batteries and it still does it. My batteries are brand new Powerex Imedion rechargables, so I wouldn't think the batteries would be the problem. Maybe I got a bad batch though. What does your speaker noise sound like? I don't notice it once I start turning the sound up and I can't hear it if I am a few feet from the caller. I pretty much have to be right next to the speaker with the volume on low. How about you? When do you notice it?

I noticed it for the first time the other night when I had it turned up all the way. Tommorow I will try to get the batteries changed and see if that helps.

Kotton, that definately sounds more like batteries to me. Do you have any white noise coming out of the speaker on low volume when playing a sound?

Originally Posted By: floridacracker22Mine does that when the batteries start getting low..and that takes a while to do, these alpha's are pretty good on battery life. I love mine..

So, when your batteries are fully charged you experience 0 extra speaker noise when playing a sound. I can understand the sound quality getting poor when batteries get low, but that is not my problem. My batteries are brand new and fully charged. The sound I hear is a background "white noise" that doesn't seem to be affecting sound quality at all. The sound has a pulsating or beating nature to it and isn't the typical "white noise" you think of when your TV goes out. I just want to know if others experience this same type of white noise, so I know if I need to send the caller in for service or is this a normal thing. I can probably live with it the way it is, but if it isn't the norm I want it taken care of. Like I have said previously, I really only notice it when I am close to the caller and it is on low volume. When the sound gets cranked up this "white noise" seems to get drowned out.

Anyone else out there with some experience with the Alpha Dogg. There has to be more than 2 people on PM with one. I am just looking to see if you experience this same kind of issue or not.

Last edited:
I have had one when they came out my first unite was bad with noise speakers I SENT IT BACK AND IN A WEEK i GOT A NEW ONE THAT SOUNDS GREAT sorry about the big letters but I aint gonna retipe it Ron

Originally Posted By: ron stephensI have had one when they came out my first unite was bad with noise speakers I SENT IT BACK AND IN A WEEK i GOT A NEW ONE THAT SOUNDS GREAT sorry about the big letters but I aint gonna retipe it Ron

Ron, thanks for the reply. I should probably contact Primos from the sound of it. Did you send it into Primos or back to where you bought it from?

I have the Alpha - no speaker noise and run Energizer Lithium Ion rechargeables. It sounded so good this morning, my buddy is thinking of selling his foxpro and grabbing an Alpha Dogg. This caller absolutely rocks compared to my old foxpro firestorm.

Originally Posted By: harleypredatorI have the Alpha - no speaker noise and run Energizer Lithium Ion rechargeables. It sounded so good this morning, my buddy is thinking of selling his foxpro and grabbing an Alpha Dogg. This caller absolutely rocks compared to my old foxpro firestorm.

Thanks alot, Harley.

I am definately going to contact Primos and see what they can do for me. If they can't help, I will be sending it back to MidwayUSA for an exchange. I really like the caller also just playing around with it in the house. Have you had pretty good luck calling coyotes with it?

Well, I finally got around to calling Primos today and talked to a real gem of a women. (Sarcasm intended) She basically told me that it was normal and to live with it. She said that the noise was from downloading the sounds onto the caller. I am no electrical engineer, but that just doesn't sound right to me. I wasn't impressed to say the least.

The noise I hear out of the speaker is probably just typical white noise and I only hear it on low volume (1-5) when I am only a couple of feet from the caller. It doesn't seem to effect sound quality and I can't hear it as I increase the volume.

The lady also told me that I shouldn't be using rechargables in my caller. She said that the manual specifically says not too. When I attempted to argue this point she got real condecending towards me. She said that rechargables don't have a constant enough stream of power. I was like what the heck are you talking about. I have used rechargables in every e-caller I have ever owned and they far outperform akaline. She said that not in ours and if I switched to alkaline it would fix my problem. I asked her what if it didn't and she just responded that it would. She didn't offer anymore help. Just to prove her wrong I bought some alkaline batteries and wouldn't you know it I still have the problem. I also checked the owners manual and they state right in there that you can use alkaline, lithium, or RECHARGABLE batteries. I think I will call her up tomorrow and point this out. I am less than impressed with Primos customer service. Hopefully nothing major goes wrong with the caller. I hope not all of Primos' customer service reps are that arrogant. I actually like the features on the Alpha Dogg and generally like Primos products, but this experience has put a sour taste in my mouth.

You are probably hearing the amp in the unit. I'm on my second season with my Alpha. While I don't hear it on mine (i'm hard of hearing)I don't think there is anything wrong with the unit. In hunting situations you will never use it at that low of volume. If you were hearing it at 30% volume and higher then I would be concerned. But not at 1%-5% volume.
I would say go hunting and have fun and not worry about it.

This was from Friday night

image241.jpg

Last edited:
I have one coming on thursday from midway, which is on sale for 225.00.... we'll see how it does.

you should have gotten the name of that rep... I wouldn't stand for a minute with bad attitudes from customer service reps.

Originally Posted By: IHarvestFurYou are probably hearing the amp in the unit. I'm on my second season with my Alpha. While I don't hear it on mine (i'm hard of hearing)I don't think there is anything wrong with the unit. In hunting situations you will never use it at that low of volume. If you were hearing it at 30% volume and higher then I would be concerned. But not at 1%-5% volume.
I would say go hunting and have fun and not worry about it.

This was from Friday night

image241.jpg

IHarvestFur, you are probably right about the noise just being the sound of the amp. I just wish it wasn't there. Your also probably right in the fact that it isn't going to hurt a thing. I took it out this morning and got some vocal responses to the young answer howl far off in the distance, but no takers today.

Back