Yep I did it. I shot my Foxpro!

adk3210

Well I feel pretty bad right now. On Saturday I went out right before dark to try out my one day old foxpro fury. (did I mention that it was one day old!) I was hunting a 2 acre food plot on my own property. I set my caller about 60 yards away and my mojo critter about 5 foot from the caller. It was still light enough where I didn't quite need a light yet. I started off with some bird sounds hoping to call in a cat, after 15 minutes I switched over to rabbit sounds when a gray fox came out of the cover to my right and was headed straight to my decoy. It was just dark enough where I couldn't see well enough to get him in the scope of my 22 hornet so I switched on my kill light to take the shot. When I quickly scanned the area I immediately saw a glowing red eye that appeared to be about to pounce on my decoy. I focused on the eye and gently squeezed the trigger. These next thoughts all happened within about a half second. The first thought was sweet, first time out with new caller and already killed a fox. The second thought was hmm... that was a weird sound when the bullet connected, it wasn't the normal thump, it was more like a kaplunk! (not to mention my caller stopped working at the exact same time) and my third thought was oh [beeep] I just shot my new fury. To say the least, I felt sick and stupid at the same time. When I walked over to look what I've done I saw pieces of my caller scattered all over the ground. I counldnt believe what Ive just done! BTW the rear speaker of a fury will reflect light back to you when veiwed at the right angle. I just found out the hard way. The rear speaker is toast also the battery pack and left side of the case. I'm gonna send it out to foxpro to see if it is repairable. Anyways, hopefully this will give you a good laugh and also make you think twice where your caller is before you pull the trigger. Thanks for reading. Andy

HOMAnimated_zpsa2612f08.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of years ago I thought I had shot my Scorpion.

It was late in the day just before sunset and I had called in a Badger. I watched it come from about 300 yards away.
I was going to let it go but as it got closer to my caller I started to get worried that an angry Badger might tear up my caller so I shot him.
The badger was very close to my caller when I shot and at the shot my caller went quiet. I was like oh [beeep].
I walked out expecting to find a hole in my caller. Come to find out my batteries went dead at the shot.

007.jpg

The caller was to the right in that Sage.

I was also coming down with the flu that day and almost ended up in the Hospital two days later.

I doubt you are the first to do that. Hopefully FoxPro can help you out and it isn't a total loss.

Ive worried about that lot hunting with a shotgun at night. I usually put it behind something. Hard to do in a field though.

I had a bobcat come to the Foxpro FX3 one time, and he approached the caller, putting himself between the caller and me. The cat was probably 8-10 feet from the caller and just barely off to the side a bit. I took the shot very carefully since the bullets I use out of my 6x45 always completely penetrate. The cat jumped and ran down the hollow a ways from a well-placed shot, but didn't go far. Afterwards I nervously approached the caller to see if the bullet had hit it. It didn't and I sure was relieved.

I guess many of us have had to wipe sweat from our forehead a few times over such things. In your case, it really happened. That was an expensive error and I really do hate to hear about your loss.

The cat near my AR is the one that just about cost me a Foxpro. I'm much more careful now after that incident. It scared me just enough to make a lasting impression.

Bobcats3.jpg

Kinda makes my want to tie a piece of orange ribbon on the antena of my MA21.

Sorry to hear about that Andy. As much as these callers cost, I would probably just stand there and cry!

Shayne

Man that sucks! I've past up a couple of shot with my shotgun because i didn't want to shoot mine. At night I put the caller right in front of me because I want them looking at me to see eyes. Mostly just use hand calls. No fumbleing around with a remote in the dark.

Man that sucks, but I can see how that could happen. Hopefully FoxPro can do something with it. If not that was an expensive hunt. Sorry bud.

That's pretty funny from where I'm seeing it.

I killed the wading pool we used for our geese trying to shoot a raccoon.

It was looking over the back edge, I had his eyes in the scope and aimed a few inches under the eyes thinking I'd shoot it in the chest.

My wife asked me the next day about the hole in the wading pool. Her exact question was, "Keith, you didn't shoot the goose's wading pool did you?" I asked what made her ask a silly question like that. She said because there was a hole in the side that looked like a bullet hole.

I realized then what I'd done when I shot low and told her "Maybe I did". She was pretty merciless, she was laughing and asking what kind of an idiot shoots the pool. Of course it was a favorite thing for her to tell friends for some time.

"Keith wasted the geese's wading pool" was always accompanied by a lot of laughing and an explanation of how I managed to do that.

I ran over mine once. I blame the girl I was trying to impress. Had nothing to do with me being a complete idiot. That's not possible.

Don't feel too had. I've put a few 00 sized holes through at least two e-callers that I remember. Sitting here with my dad he swears I've shot at least three callers, but I'll own up to two of them for sure.

It never gets any easier to deal with emotionally! I'd say it's better now than it used to be. The electronics are a lot smaller than the older callers. Other than the speakers, the vulnerable target of the modern stuff is pretty small.

Hopefully FP can hook you up!

Back