Nikon Monarch 7 ATB 10x42 Bino Review

Calypso

The old adage is true; you get what you pay for in sport optics. I had the opportunity to test the new Nikon Monarch 7 ATB 10x42 binoculars this season. Nikon Monarch ATB’s have been the best selling binoculars in their price range for many years now. I have used the original Nikon Monarch ATB’s for many years and also have a pair of the Nikon Monarch 3 ATB’s. The original Monarch ATB’s sold for $250 and the Monarch 3’s sell for $200. The Monarch 7’s sell for $500. The “7’s” are Nikon’s mid-priced binoculars.

The first thing I did was compare all three from my deck out here in the country in south Texas. The Monarch 7’s are noticeably clearer, have better and easier focus, especially at the closer distances (they have a close focus of 8 feet). The “7’s” are also slightly more compact than my original ATB’s and ATB 3’s. I am able to wear them comfortably with a bino harness all day long in the field.

The “7’s” feature the Nikon ED glass (Extra-low Dispersion glass) with a dielectric high-reflective multilayer prism coating and phase-correction-coated roof which give truer color and better light transmission. That is a mouth full! They also have phase corrected coated roof prisms for higher resolution. The “7’s” feature Nikon’s easy to use “turn and slide” rubber coated eyecups with multi-click adjustments, which make it very easy for folks like me with glasses. The body is rubberized and has the flip down lens caps. The field of view at 1000 yards is a generous 351 feet (versus 314 yards on the original ATB’s and 291 yards on the “3’s”). They are completely water and fog proof too.

I have used the Monarch 7’s this year so far on a black bear hunt along with many hog and predator hunts. They are crystal clear, easy to handle and focus, and work great with my glasses. They are a big step up from the original Monarch ATB’s, which you would expect with the higher cost. As much as I like my original Monarch ATB’s, these new Monarch 7’s really are worth the extra investment. They will stand up to binoculars costing up to twice as much. I just wish I didn’t have to send them back to Nikon!!

Here are the technical specifications:

Nikon Monarch 7 Specifications
• FinishBlack
• Focusing SystemCF
• Magnification x10
• Objective Diameter (mm)42
• Angular Field of View (Real)6.7
• Angular Field of View (Apparent)60.7
• FOV @ 1000 yds (ft)351.0
• Close Focus Distance (ft)8.1
• Exit Pupil (mm)4.2
• Relative Brightness17.6
• Eye Relief (mm)16.4
• Size (L&W - inches)5.5 x 5.1
• Weight (oz)23.6

Here are the three Monarch ATB’s side by side.
L to R: Original Monarch ATB, Monarch 3, Monarch 7

ATB-M3-M7.jpg

The Monarch 7’s in the field.

bcbear3.jpg

DSCN1379.jpg

DSCN1063.jpg

DSCN1087.jpg

I have the Monarch 5 10x42 this year and they have worked good for me, they replaced my Buckmaster 8x36 that now belong to my grandson

I just purchased a pair of the Monarch 5 ATBs 8x42 then, realized they were made in China. I guess I should start doing more research before ordering things online. I live in an area where a 30-30 brush gun is all a person really needs for most deer hunting so, I guess maybe they will be good enough for the ranges I will be dealing with.
smile.gif

Back