..........6 BR for Coyotes....?.......

Originally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: alfOriginally Posted By: RePeteQuestion
I'm pretty sure that on a Remington the FP's the same size for large/small primer cases. At least the 22/250 I turned into a 22BR was. Therefore I've kinda assumed that all manufacturers were also the same, but never asked or really even thought about it much before.
Do other manufacturers actually have large primer/small primer specific FP's? Or are you talking about bushing the bolt to prevent primers from flowing.Not looking for a fight. Just asking a simple question. Thanks.
700's all have the same firing pins sizes. The problem sometimes is not the diameter, but too much clearance between the firing pin and the hole in the bolt nose, and running max pressures. Bushing a bolt tightens up those clearances, and eliminate piercing with sane loads.

Yea,,, that I did know.
It's actually why I said ""Do other manufacturers actually have large primer/small primer specific FP's? Or are you talking about bushing the bolt to prevent primers from flowing."" LOL

I think it's more of bushing the bolt to prevent the primers from blowing.

Originally Posted By: OK243Originally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: alfOriginally Posted By: RePeteQuestion
I'm pretty sure that on a Remington the FP's the same size for large/small primer cases. At least the 22/250 I turned into a 22BR was. Therefore I've kinda assumed that all manufacturers were also the same, but never asked or really even thought about it much before.
Do other manufacturers actually have large primer/small primer specific FP's? Or are you talking about bushing the bolt to prevent primers from flowing.Not looking for a fight. Just asking a simple question. Thanks.
700's all have the same firing pins sizes. The problem sometimes is not the diameter, but too much clearance between the firing pin and the hole in the bolt nose, and running max pressures. Bushing a bolt tightens up those clearances, and eliminate piercing with sane loads.

Yea,,, that I did know.
It's actually why I said ""Do other manufacturers actually have large primer/small primer specific FP's? Or are you talking about bushing the bolt to prevent primers from flowing."" LOL

I think it's more of bushing the bolt to prevent the primers from blowing.

Like I said "I'm not looking for a fight".
If you are, you'll have to have it without me.
Later

There will be some good competitions going on around here in NC this spring with alot of guys shooting these 6's... I'll have to go check them out... may find alot of information... and maybe a shooter for sale.

Originally Posted By: 1up5downDan, get yourself a good 243 or 6mm Remmington and be done with it. In the 6mm Remmy you can get 80gr. Bt to 3600+ FPS.

Good advise.

I will probably stick with the 243 for awhile... probably get into some 87 vmax for better wind bucking, and BC. The savage I have at the moment is 9 1/2 twist, which should allow me to step up from my 60's for better longrange performance.

I shot coyotes on my last trip with my 204, 223, 22-250, and my 243... all with 40-60gr bullets. What I desire to do, is to have one rifle that bucks the wind, has a hair trigger, fur friendly not important, lowest recoil for watching the hit, and accurate enough for one shot kills.

Here'sa pic of my 6x47 lapua Dan and the coyote I shot at 464 yards with the 105 bergers.

IMAG0427.jpg

Dan- of my 250 or so coyotes the two longest were with a .243 70 balistic tip starting out over 3700, and one with 6.5 -284. my last four were shot with sako in 6ppc all short range. i have a 6br for f-class i have not shot yet. it is set up as a single shot with a davidson ramp, 700 action. i do not think the 6br will feed very good in a repeater. not an issue though if you are shooting 500 plus. the savage lrpv in 22-250 has won a bunch of f-class matches. ron

Quote:I did the Mike Bryant modification to the magazine. Feeding IS still a problem... Same here. As much as I like the 6mmBR, I think I would just go with the .243 or 6mm for a coyote rifle. My BR stays in the safe in the winter.

Originally Posted By: Ankeny Quote:I did the Mike Bryant modification to the magazine. Feeding IS still a problem... Same here. As much as I like the 6mmBR, I think I would just go with the .243 or 6mm for a coyote rifle. My BR stays in the safe in the winter.
Again, the feeding issues with the short case is generally a left and right problem in the mag box and how the rounds set under the feed rails, not the fore and aft attitude, which is all the Bryant addresses.

Originally Posted By: alfOriginally Posted By: Ankeny Quote:I did the Mike Bryant modification to the magazine. Feeding IS still a problem... Same here. As much as I like the 6mmBR, I think I would just go with the .243 or 6mm for a coyote rifle. My BR stays in the safe in the winter.
Again, the feeding issues with the short case is generally a left and right problem in the mag box and how the rounds set under the feed rails, not the fore and aft attitude, which is all the Bryant addresses.

Can you show us pics or explain how to make this round feed in a Rem 700 for example?

Back