Custom Build Versus RRA Fred Eichler

Cotterboy

I have had a RRA Fred Eichler AR on order for nearly 150 days with no word on when it might be ready. The shop I ordered it from has offered to build me something close. They provided the following specs. Please see my comments below the parts list.

This is the parts list. The price in this configuration is $1249.00. Which would leave you with a credit of $146. Shipping time on it is 4-6 weeks. Modifications are possible if you would like something else. Just let us know if this sounds about right and we’ll get it cooking for you. If you have any more questions, please let us know.

Parts List

Barrel: 223 Wylde 1/8 mid length 16” SS

Muzzle: Rainier XTC (Extreme Tactical Compensator)

Gas Block: Troy Lo Pro

Trigger: Armalite 2 Stage Tactical

Handguard: Midwest 12” SS Gen1

Pistol Grip: Magpul MOE Plus

Buttstock: Magpul STR FDE

Magpul XTM FDE Rail Covers

Badger Latch

Bolt Carrier Group from Young Manufacturing

I would surely update the trigger, but not sure on the other items listed. What do you guys think of the rifle as proposed, and would you just continue to hold out for the RRA. WHat other questions should I ask? Does barrel manufacturer make a huge difference? Please give me any opinions you might have as I am new to AR-15's

Last edited:
Cotterboy,

I would recommend that you ask them who made the barrel before you pay them for a custom build. It's probably from a reputable manufacturer, but the barrel is an important component of your rifle and $1249 is a lot of money. Just my 2 cents.

I'd second looking into the barrel maker. It also doesn't say what receivers they are going to use.

You could order all of those parts and put it together yourself in under an hour for well under $1000.

I tend to buy-sell-trade often and the RRA would be the way I'd go. Name recognition is important as far as that goes. I do have an RRA PP and I have no plans on letting it go because it shoots so well.

You need to spend the majority of your money on your barrel and your trigger. If you do this the gun will shoot great groups for you. I have built numerous AR's and only use top notch triggers and barrels and all of mine shoot well under SUB MOA and I have several calibers and several barrel lengths. That wouldnt be too bad of a price if the barrel is from a good company..

Save me searching and let me know which barrels are quality and what to steer clear of. Also, what profile should I be looking at? I was thinking either Timney or Gieselle(Spelling ?) for the triggger, but not sure which model of either to look at. Any other trigger suggestions are welcome and I will research them.

The Rock may take awhile to come in, but it is worth the wait. PS. I just got done waiting over 5 months for a new S&W M&P40 Sheild to come in, everyone is behind on there orders the last year or so. Just wait it out, Good Luck----Riflemann

Timney or Geissele triggers are sweet and supper easy to drop in. I have a timney 3 lb drop in and have three of the Geissele SD-E (Super Dynamic Enhanced) triggers. Geissele tops the cake no doubt but the Timney is nice too. Guess it depends if you want a two stage (Geissele) or single stage (Timney). As for barrels, there are a lot of good barrels. To name a few.. Wilson, AR Stoner, Lilja, Black hole weaponry, Rock, Bartlein, Krieger, Shilen, White oak, and the list goes on and on. Any of these above barrels will shoot under MOA with the right loads. Some WELL under MOA. It depends on exactly what you want to do with it. You dont need the super heavy barrel for accuracy. AR's are typically a little heavy any way. Get a mid weight, good barrel and it will shoot. I have had EXCELLENT luck with Shilen barrels. They are pricey but if the gun isnt shooting accurately then you need to switch loads because it isnt the barrel.. LOL... But I also have a couple of Black Hole barrels and they shoot excellent as well and are typically a little cheaper. Yes there are more barrels out there that will shoot great. These are just some names to look at.

Last edited:
If you want the RRA Fred Eichler AR contact Sheel's customer service and request a list of their stores with phone # then start calling. I found one at the Sand UT store last month.
Jim

Originally Posted By: OhiochuckIf you want the RRA Fred Eichler AR contact Sheel's customer service and request a list of their stores with phone # then start calling. I found one at the Sand UT store last month.
Jim

A lot has changed in a month. Good luck finding any kind of AR right now.

Yes alot has changed in 1 month; last month almost everyone I talked with said I could not find the RRA Fred Eicher rifle in stock except for a couple of men who each found their's before I ask. It is still possible that one or more might be on a dealer's shelf. Phone calls, e-mails and some leg work might help to locate one. It might be time well spent!
Jim

I would suck it up and wait on the RRA. Took me almost 4 months to get my Stag 3G and I too got itchy waiting on it. Now that I have it, I wouldn't trade it for anything else I looked at in the meantime! If you settle for something just to get a rifle in your hands now, you will always wish you had waited on the special order

Back