Anyone Hunt With Mark AR 1x4?

Sharps4570

I am in the process of putting together two uppers. One 5.56, one 6.8SPC. (assuming I will be able to get the parts!) We hunt terrain that in places is very steep, with some open hardwoods, but also a lot of brush and pine thickets.

I had originally pictured the beautiful 20 inch barreled, A2 stocked rifles..but have realized that age, health and terrain dictate that I save every ounce I can.

I rarely get time to use anything other than the 4x setting on my deer rifle...So I wondered if I would be better served with the small 1x4 Mark AR?

We do have some field edges we can hunt, but most of our time will be up on the ridges...Thanks for any suggestions.

Don't have a Mark AR but a couple VX-II 1x4s and find them to be great predator hunting scopes if your calling. I have a few other 1x4 ish scopes by Weaver Bushnell and Nikon and all work well out to 300yrds or so.

I own a 3x9 Leupold AR MIl-dot scope. I like it on my 6.8mm.
The 1x4 Leupold would be a good scope. For brush and woods I like a red dot with a circle and a dot.

I have 2 of the Mark AR 3-9 x 40 scopes. They are very good scopes, but like you, I have started to prefer lower power scopes for hunting in the terrain I do. I think you would be well pleased with the 1-4 Mark AR. I've looked through them and they are nice. Recently I purchased a Leupold 1-4x 20 pig plex non illuminated scope as well as a Weaver Classic 1-3 x 20. Both are great for the hunting you've described with the Leupold having the edge in glass quality.

I've got one in 1-4 on my 16" M&P and really like it. It pretty much stays set on 4x but it's nice to be able to turn it down when the terrain gets tight.

Thanks for the replies guys..By far most of the deer I kill are under 100 yards. (This years buck was at 45 yards!)

IF I can get the parts, I will probably go with a 1x4 on both.
I noticed on Leupolds site that the 1x4 was like 9.5 ounces versus 14 or so for the 3x9. Thanks again
Much of the terrain we hunt is like this..

[img:left]
74932_1623518158179_626720_n.jpg
[/img]

And then we run into this..

[img:left]
74329_1625514728092_3894284_n.jpg
[/img]

Last edited:
Back