Prehunt scouting?

Big95xj

What if any prehunt scouting do you guys do? The reason i ask is i am gonna be hunting a new area sunday. Its about 5000 acres with 1000 acres of crop land 1000 acres of old field/prairie and the rest forested...but we dont know for sure there is song dogs there. So should i go out and howl the night before or something along those lines?

There's several things or ways to go about Pre-Scouting.You can walk part of the area looking for scat,tracks and any other signs that Coyotes are in the area,ask local Farmers if they are hearing any Coyotes in the area or as You mentioned go in there in the late evening and use some Barks and Howl sounds to see if any answer You back?

Open Fields are a good place to check if there's been Cattle in there,check along the field edges,creeks and any Cedar Thickets since Bobcats like those area's too.

Good Luck Hunting...and personally I'd pack a Rifle along with You because You may very well jump up or see a Coyote while Scouting!
wink.gif

Thanks GTO. Its about a 45 minute drive to this place and its a conservation area surrounded by lots and lots of open farm country. So im kinda hopin the yotes will be thick in that area of forest. In addition to that the ca has a great population of rabbits supposedly and im assuming the mice are thick in the old fields/praries...i may run up there saturday night and howl a bit. Just to get an idea of whats there. I may call the agent for the county as well to see if he can give me any insite...

I like to howl the area at night. Count the starts, not voices. Mark location of responses on a GPS. Then go back in the daylight and determine where to make stands using the responses data gathered. Good hunting!

Back