6-06 ackley 22-243 ackley 6-6.5 rem mag

Originally Posted By: OKIE2any one here have one of these and have any good loads for them?

No such thing as a 6-06 Ackley, or a 22-243 Ackley.

They are stand alone wildcats - not improved cartridges.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: OKIE2any one here have one of these and have any good loads for them?

You sure about this? Pac-Nor claims to chamber in 6-06 Ackley as well as 6-06.

Originally Posted By: KlrDrvrOriginally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: OKIE2any one here have one of these and have any good loads for them?

I don't care what Pac-Nor says...

The definition of an Ackley Improved cartridge is that it is an improved version of a factory cartridge - that you can still fire a factory cartridge in, and get out an improved case.

There never was a 6-06 or 22-243 factory cartridge...

... so they cannot be Ackleys.

Just a fact - and a mislabel by Pac-Nor.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: KlrDrvrOriginally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: OKIE2any one here have one of these and have any good loads for them?

I don't care what Pac-Nor says...

The definition of an Ackley Improved cartridge is that it is an improved version of a factory cartridge - that you can still fire a factory cartridge in, and get out an improved case.

There never was a 6-06 or 22-243 factory cartridge...

... so they cannot be Ackleys.

Just a fact - and a mislabel by Pac-Nor.

Possibly an Ackley'ized version of each?

Originally Posted By: travjc

Possibly an Ackley'ized version of each?

I reckon so. Whatever we call them, they seem to exist.

They are probably a 40 degree shoulder improved version of a wildcat. Right, Wrong or indifferent Most wildcats that use the 40 degree shoulder are referred to as a ackley whether or not he ever did the improvement or wildcat.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: OKIE2any one here have one of these and have any good loads for them?

thank you for your opinion But I didn't say anything about improved cartridges.
and your reply has nothing to do with what I posted

Originally Posted By: OKIE2Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: OKIE2any one here have one of these and have any good loads for them?

Oh really... then please enlighten us - what is an Ackley cartridge??

Inquiring minds want to know
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: OKIE2Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: OKIE2any one here have one of these and have any good loads for them?

Not opinion, fact. Please supply data to support your claims...man they seem to be everywhere lately.

First off you obviously are ignorant of the definition of an "Ackley Improved cartrige"
Secondly, if you can show me some mass produced, non specialty amunition for either a 6mm-06 or 22-243, then I shall formally retract my first statement.

My definition is: a cartridge that is fireformed to a 40 degree shoulder with less body taper.

All the major reamer manufacturers list some form of a necked up or necked down "Ackley" Pacific tool and guage lists the 6.5-06 Ackley improved reamer just for example.

I think we are getting caught up in technicalities so we need to find where the definition is and clear all of this up.

Originally Posted By: sixtwoeightyfourMy definition is: a cartridge that is fireformed to a 40 degree shoulder with less body taper.

All the major reamer manufacturers list some form of a necked up or necked down "Ackley" Pacific tool and guage lists the 6.5-06 Ackley improved reamer just for example.

I think we are getting caught up in technicalities so we need to find where the definition is and clear all of this up.

A good place to start would be to find out who this "Ackley" character is and what he did! Oh, and maybe what his name is...

Just a little homework for the ignorant.

Originally Posted By: travjcOriginally Posted By: sixtwoeightyfourMy definition is: a cartridge that is fireformed to a 40 degree shoulder with less body taper.

A good place to start would be to find out who this "Ackley" character is and what he did! Oh, and maybe what his name is...

Just a little homework for the ignorant.

Thanks for the homework assignment. I lived about 2.5 miles from "parkers" shop, maybe I should have walked and asked him who he was and what he did. Oh maybe next time. Maybe someday Ill figure out what the Ackley means on the rifles I own. Until then I bow to your expertise and will not respond again in fear of public humiliation.

Sorry again.

Originally Posted By: jlh321Is there such a cartridge as the 6 mm/.30-30 Ackley Improved?

I own a barrel for my Contender very distinctly marked as such done by Virgin Valley Guns. Obviously not based on any factory chambering. But to avoid all the silly pining and condescending comments I just call it a 6mm 3030 imp.

Knowing everything can keep you from learning anything.....

Last edited:
I'll have to eat a little crow on this one, as Parker Ackley very well did do wildcat versions of his own "Ackley Improved cartriges"

That being said, OKIE2, these cartriges (6-06 Ackley, or a 22-243 Ackley, 6 mm/.30-30 Ackley) are truly a wildcat. As such they have no factory chambering allowing the use of factory ammunition. They are based upon an Ackley Improved cartrige which has been either necked up or down from it's parent.

Sixtwoeightyfour, I had accidentally quoted your post instead of OKIE2's. I do apologize for seemingly calling you out.

Back