E calling question

Radio

Only used a closed reed rabbit distress before, so pretty new to e callers. Was wondering how long most of you let it play and how long silence before starting it up again.
Was playing the Cottontail distress this evening and had a hen turkey come to investigate
huh.gif

I just got into coyote hunting last year, never used a hand call, but I am going to this year, I have been told that after you set up you can start right away calling, I myself wait for about 5 min before I do, and when I do call, I only let the call run for maybe a min. or 2 then wait 3 - 5 min. and do it again, if nothing happens I will change the sound to something soft, like a bird or mouse, but before I pack it up and move, I will try a coyote locator or pup in distress, some times that works, some times it dont, Only been out about a dozen times, and so far only called in 3 at one time using the coyote locator, they came from about a mile off on a dead flat out run right to me, to bad I missed, but I had to shoot through a fence because he spotted me.

Radio;

Use the ecaller the same as you would if you were using a hand call. Call 30sec to a minute then sit for a bit. I like to build the intensity for the first 8 -10 minutes then taper off for the rest of the stand just like with hand calls. I don't blast the volume any louder than I can call on my own. Search out additional sounds, you will find ones you like. Tony Tebee has some that are my favorites. Just keep working on sequences, and sounds till you get it dialed in.

Let it run.. Coyotes have A.D.D and by playing the sounds you keep their attention.

Put the call out off to the side and up wind. They like to circle and come in from the down wind, which, if you put the call out right will walk them right out in front of you.

I do suggest that you start off for the first minute or two soft incase you had one that was close. Then hit a howl, and then let what ever sound you like roll.

Definetly start out with distress quietly. You never know how close they are. I start out wit the volume on low after 5-10min raise it up and down like with a hand call. Once i start calling i dont turn it off except when i change sounds then I will take about a minute break. If no takers after 25-30min hit some pup distress.

Before I got my Foxpro e-callers with a remote I used a cassette e-caller. For the 22 years I used the cassette e-caller the volume was on full blast and the sound was on 100% of the time I was calling.

It worked very good.

If you shut off the sound and no predators have heard your e-caller when it was on, now that you have shut off the sound you are not calling anymore you are just sitting there.

Not all of the predators out there are in a perfect spot to hear your e-caller. When they move around and get into a good spot to hear my e-caller I want it to be putting out sounds so they can hear it.

Last Friday I started out with my Fury and SP-55 Speaker on 35 volume, 16 seconds later two coyotes were right at my Foxpro.

I have never seen higher volume scare off coyotes.

If you don't crank up the volume a few times or more during your stands with a e-caller you will not get your sounds out to as many coyotes as you could have.

Out West (wide open spaces) keep it running, keep them coming. East smaller properties, lots of cover, start and stop they will hunt for the sound.

Out West (wide open spaces) keep it running, keep them coming. East smaller properties, lots of cover, start and stop they will hunt for the sound.

Do whatever. I let it run longer and more frequently than my dad or my brother. I've sat there for 30 min and they run the call 3 times for a min each time. I run it whenever i feel i need to for however long i feel like. Both ways produce. Dad frustrates me by switching sounds after one try. He still calls in yotes. Annoys me though.

I typically let it go.. start soft and go for 2 minutes.. If something shows up then you are getting good at getting into location and picking good spots since they had to be close to come so fast..
I then hit a howl to wake them up.. and wait a minute or two, and then play other sounds. But I let it go and play non-stop..
Being out here, i have some places where I can see them out there over a mile, and when you can watch them come in like that, you see their behavior. I have tried the play, stop, play.. The walk, stop, and walk.. I need to keep their attention and keep them coming.. As they come in I don't change the sound.. If they are coming don't change anything.. The only thing i have done is lower the sound slowly as they are walking. I have however had coyotes run in and stick their head into the speaker of the Prarie Blaster on full volume trying to figure out how to get the rabbit out of the box.

Thanks guys! I'm getting permission to hunt a couple of 300 acre farms, so will try some of the advice before too long. I have an inexpensive Flextone Echo I traded for, but someday would like to have the Alpha Dogg. The new Foxpro shockwave looks awesome, but is out of reach at that price! Just getting the new AR kinda wrecked the budget for a while
whistle.gif
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Widow maker 223What u have will do the job.

I'm sure it will. Kinda wish it had the capability of more volume though. My closed reed cottontail distress is louder than the e caller

Originally Posted By: cmatera Out West (wide open spaces) keep it running, keep them coming. East smaller properties, lots of cover, start and stop they will hunt for the sound.

That is exactly why I don't stop the e-caller and/or if hand calling try to maintain a pretty busy calling sequence. I want that coyote coming hot and straight like a torpedo. If I am not keeping them tuned in with their ears and eager to see the source of the sound then they turn to their nose to "hunt" for the source of the sound. So they cast downwind which means in tight cover where you can't see very far a coyote can circle downwind 100 yards away and you may never see it. That circling coyote in tight cover gets a snootful of human scent and disappears and you most probably will never know it was ever around. I learned this lesson the hard way, by cutting fresh tracks in the snow overlaid on my own trail into the stand. Then I began to better understand stand selection in heavy timber and steep terrain and how to try to keep this from happening. Using terrain and cover to funnel approaching critters and a busy crosswind calling routine helps prevent that slippery wide backdoor treatment.

I use both hand calls and a fox pro. I almost always start my stand with a couple hand called howls a minute or so apart...if this gets no attention I will start some sort of distress depending on where I am at. I've heard people say don't run them at full volume but that has never seemed to hurt my stands, I wait a few minutes and get comfortable with my surroundings and glass what could be something to keep me from wandering and then turn the fox pro on as loud as it goes. Usually let it scream for 15 minutes or so and if nothing comes in shut it off and go to the next spot.

Here in Colorado you can see for miles! For me it is my Krakatoa and soon (Tomorrow) my Shockwave as a back up caller.

Hand calls are great but they know exactly where the sound is before they ever crest the hill 1/2 mile away.

Depends on your setup. Properties here are small. When you have an opening 150 feet wide X 100 yards long to shoot in, oh the coyote will come "straight like a torpedo". By the time you see him, he will scent you anyway and be gone before you ever stop him. Proper setup is always the key.

Originally Posted By: cmatera Depends on your setup. Properties here are small. When you have an opening 150 feet wide X 100 yards long to shoot in, oh the coyote will come "straight like a torpedo". By the time you see him, he will scent you anyway and be gone before you ever stop him. Proper setup is always the key.

Not to be argumentative, but simply offering a differing viewpoint for consideration. Coyotes don't know property lines; they'll go where they want if you let them. Which would seem to me to be a very important reason to set-up and call in such a way to bring them directly in to the small property where you have permission to hunt. On a small property how many stands can you realistically make? It would seem very important to funnel the coyote to the one or two places where you can actually set-up and not have that coyote casting around downwind off the property boundary “hunting for the source of the sound”.

Back