30 MOA rail? Help! (Added pics of AR-10 build)

Predator257Roy

I've got an AR-10 SASS and the flat top isn't working with my IOR 6.5x24x56 35mm tube as I would like it to. I know thaere are canted rings, but the IOR rings that came with the scope are actually TPS's (I think that's it) and of great quality and I'd rather not touch them. I want a canted rail of 30MOA. Badger and GG&G both have 22MOA. I've searched without luck on a 30MOA. Armalite has one for their AR50, but I'm not sure if that would work. Anyone know of one and where I can get it?

I don't know of any. Im not sure if you will find one because 30 degrees is far in excess of what the .308 is capable of. My 50 BMG rifle only has a 20 degree base and that is plenty. I looked up the specs of your scope and the 30 degree base would just be a band-aid for the root issue which is that scope only has 55-60 moa of adjustment. That is unusually low especially considering it has a 35 mm tube. 90 moa of adjustment is pretty standard for 30mm tubes. For comparison the Leupold MK4 16x LR/T has 120 moa of adjustment.

A 20 degree base should get you out to 700 or 800 yards. That looks like a great optic but if you want to shoot farther you need a different scope with a greater adjustment range.

Biggest problem is that I ate up 5 mils of adjustment in zeroing it. It's a custom built rifle and the gunsmith zero'd the rifle during break in. After that the rifle was tore down and was completely coated. I thought the rifle had been zero'd for me when it was ready....it hadn't. I don't know if the insides of the rings were coated or the scope got coated where the rings contact. Anyway, the rifle went from zero'd before to out by 5 mils @ 100 yards, unfortunately it wasn't in the minus direction. That only leaves me with 5 mils of elevation left. After sighting it in at 100 and figuring out a velocity, I shot it out to 700 yards at some steel here at the house. I had to hold over 2 or 2.5 mils (don't remember). Wanting to go a thousand yards with it and further if possible. It does shoot sweet though, 100 yards is a jagged hole 5 shot group, it shoots tight. If I can't get a 30 them it will be a 22 MOA. Both Badger and GG&G are great.

I can't speak to the quality because it is pretty low priced but I found one at Brownells. It looks like you would need to purchase the base plus the 30 MOA riser.

http://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/scope-bases/rifle-bases/ar-15-m16-ar-style-308-modular-flattop-riser-mount-system-prod23115.aspx?avs|Make_3=AR-15/M4

Last edited:
2012-12-09_11-41-04_583.jpg

2012-12-09_11-40-20_356.jpg

2012-12-09_11-41-49_52.jpg

Custom Armalite SASS, Built at Predator Custom Shop in Knoxville, TN. Magpul Stock, Ergo grip ("Nastygrip" textured). Scope is IOR Valdada 6.5-25x56mm 35mm tube, IOR rings, Armalite gas system with adjustable gas block, Armalite Quadrail, Rock Creek 20" 1-10 twist barrel, Thunderbeast 30P-1 Suppressor, Blue Force Gear sling.

Thanks guys. Two kills so far, unable to post. Blew the face off of a coyote @ 80yds and probably would have been considered too graphic. Other was a 150yrd shot thay slit a turkey's neck
thumbup.gif

After doing a lot of research I've found two choices. Larue (20moa) and U.S. Optics (30moa). I'm going to get the U.S. Optics (When I save up the $380 bucks for it)

Originally Posted By: Predator257RoyAfter doing a lot of research I've found two choices. Larue (20moa) and U.S. Optics (30moa). I'm going to get the U.S. Optics (When I save up the $380 bucks for it)

Wow, spendy but that is quite the scope mount. It looks exceptionally well made/designed which is what U.S. Optics does best.

Back