SPS Tactical accuracy update/question....

I have an SPS tactical in 308 and one suggestion I'll make if you want to make sure its not the stock is to get you a dremmel, hollow out a channel in the forend about 2" infront of the recoil lug area big enough for a rod. Get a 1/4" or 3/8" steel threaded rod and cut to fit the entire length of your forend in the chanel you hollowed out. Then bed that rod in there. I used cheap 1 hour epoxy, the kind in the dual syringe, one tube was about perfect amount. It made my gun go from a 1" gun to a 1/2" gun even though I never thought I had barrel contact. There is absolutely no flex in the stock now. Would a new stock change things more so? Maybe but I'd rather spend money on glass or reloading stuff.

Originally Posted By: svt tacticalI have an SPS tactical in 308 and one suggestion I'll make if you want to make sure its not the stock is to get you a dremmel, hollow out a channel in the forend about 2" infront of the recoil lug area big enough for a rod. Get a 1/4" or 3/8" steel threaded rod and cut to fit the entire length of your forend in the chanel you hollowed out. Then bed that rod in there. I used cheap 1 hour epoxy, the kind in the dual syringe, one tube was about perfect amount. It made my gun go from a 1" gun to a 1/2" gun even though I never thought I had barrel contact. There is absolutely no flex in the stock now. Would a new stock change things more so? Maybe but I'd rather spend money on glass or reloading stuff.

That would work well. Mine is a .223 Rem 1-9 twist.

I just glassed the length of the forend, floated the tip of the forend, and glassed in the recoil lug.

60gr V-Max me likey.

006.jpg

Smokeless,

How did it shoot before putting the glass in the forend?

It shot the downtown bullets under an inch, but not factory.

Thanks.
Steve

Those HS stocks are nice. As are the BC Medalist. Either one would do you fine.

The hogue stock is heavy. Around 40oz, IIRC. the BC is 30, so there is some weight saved there. I'm unsure on the HS.

Check out stockysstocks.com. They have a lot of pertinent I of on their site.

Unfortunately Cabelas is out of them.

I was looking at redhawkrifles.com, I am not sure what stock to look for OR if I should just leave it as is. I may just leave it as is for now, and try some custom reloads and some more factory before going to the stock. I just figured if I could run to Cabelas and get it I would just bite the bullet.

Thanks all.

I never shot any factory stuff in it. I noticed some variance in groups when working up loads. It seemed very picky. Then I noticed that when the forend was resting on bags the tip of the end would touch the barrel I use a bulls bag a lot and I had to be careful to position the bag rearward as far as possible to get the best groups. That Hogue forend really flexes. I glassed in the forend, but it still moves to much so I Dremel tooled the tip out a bit. This settled it down to a consistent level. I finished my load work ups and found several loads that shoot well.

I have some of the Kevlar stocks too, but I will stick with the rubber Hogue on this one for its good grip when wet or cold and it is quiet. That's just me though.

Originally Posted By: SmokelessOriginally Posted By: svt tacticalI have an SPS tactical in 308 and one suggestion I'll make if you want to make sure its not the stock is to get you a dremmel, hollow out a channel in the forend about 2" infront of the recoil lug area big enough for a rod. Get a 1/4" or 3/8" steel threaded rod and cut to fit the entire length of your forend in the chanel you hollowed out. Then bed that rod in there. I used cheap 1 hour epoxy, the kind in the dual syringe, one tube was about perfect amount. It made my gun go from a 1" gun to a 1/2" gun even though I never thought I had barrel contact. There is absolutely no flex in the stock now. Would a new stock change things more so? Maybe but I'd rather spend money on glass or reloading stuff.

That would work well. Mine is a .223 Rem 1-9 twist.

I just glassed the length of the forend, floated the tip of the forend, and glassed in the recoil lug.

60gr V-Max me likey.

006.jpg

Looks like pencil pokes to me.
w00t.gif

I tried some Hornady 55 grain Vmax. It shot the best for factory so far at around 1" constantly.

I think the rifle may just be picky as Smokeless stated. My stock isn't touch as I have the pressure more under the bell of the scope.

Is it possible it is a 1 in 12? Remington told me 1 in 9, but do they just not want to have to fix it? I may try to verify this myself.

Thanks.
Steve

Remington can verify the rifling twist rate with the gun's serial number. Some of the earlier rifles were 1/12 twist, later guns are 1/9. My rifle is 1/9 and shoots hand loaded 60 gr V-max MOA at 200 yds no problem. Every improvement I made to the rifle was worth the money, H.S. Precision M24 stock, Jewell trigger, good glass and time developing a hand load. The gun didnt start to group well until 100+ or so rounds had been through it. The factory Hogue stock was worthless.

Take your cleaning rod, mark it, and get a ruler or tape measure and find out what the twist rate in your barrel really is.
I've had super results with Benchmark and 60 grain V Max's, and 55 NBT's over H 4895 in several rifles that I own. I've never had a lot of luck with 55 V Max's in any of my .22 caliber rifles, in several different cartriges, but that's just me......they do very well in some rifles!

I have a shooting buddy that bought two "package" 700's from Dicks sporting goods for about 350.00 each. They were SPS Varmint models in 22-250 and 308. Neither shot under 1.25" with most factory loads. We worked up some loads for each rifle and both started shooting .750" to 1.00". Then he put Jewell triggers and HS stocks on them, and both are now shooting consistent .5" 5 shot groups! We had to fiddle with torque settings on the guard screws, and a little more with the reloads, but they really shoot now! He was new to rifle shooting and has no idea how genuinely lucky he is that the metal work was good enough to produce that kind of accuracy!!
F1

Lose the SPS stock and get something else. The biggest handicap that rifle has is the SPS stock with the trigger being the second.

Mine when new shot groups of about 1" with occasional fliers opening it up to 1.5".

A B&C stock and Timney trigger closed that down to about .5".

You will not have much luck fooling with that SPS stock, it's to flimsy. I tried with mine and managed to cut the group sizes but the stock is so bad that you still get fliers.

I agree with others, testing different reloads is warranted.

I often find that factory ammo that is loaded pretty warm/hot, which is not necessarily preferred by all guns.

I bought my sps tac 223 week ago....couldnt be happier as she shoots 5 ultramax 68 gr hp's cheap rounds into a sub 1/2moa group at a 100 on my way home from scheels sporting goods, where i bought the rifle. just glad i didnt get a dud......sorry to here about the way your rifle groups .....maybe try 68,69 or 75's...they might be favored by your rifle as they are by mine....im new to masters. just wanted to toss my 2 cents in.

300930_10151154474101485_969703439_n.jpg

Back