new 22wmr cz 512 or a bolt gun?

TripleDeuce660

I sold off my old mossy 22mag. I'm thinking of a new 22mag now. I have it narrowed down to cz 512 semi auto, cz 455( or 452), or a marlin xt. what do you guys think?gun will mainly be for cottontail and jack rabbits along with occasional coyote of opportunity(I have a .223 and 12 ga for calling.) Might call with it for bobcat or if regulations require it.

512 pros... follow up is fast with less movement to alert game and just plain fun. Can mount scope on low rings without worry of bolt clearance. I've handled one local and I liked it but went to but it today and it is gone.

Con is trigger of about 6lbs and if you lighten it with a spring down to 3lbs it may not always reset. I really like a trigger around 2 or 3 lbs. Possible it could jam. Most expensive with prices around 425.

455 Solid reliable bolt gun. Much lighter trigger and ability to get other caliber barrels later on.Everyone knows you can't go wrong with a cz bolt gun. these are about 375.

Last is a marlin xt... pro is a light trigger and most of all price. I really only use a 22 mag a few days a year at most for hunting and maybe some plinking. sure like the 200 dollar price tag and decent accuracy reputation. Going to see if bass pro has one to handle next week. Tried to handle one in 17hmr today but the line was insane.

Last option is hold out for this mythical new rimfire from winchester...

I do not like the savage 93 so do not suggest one.

455 hands down.
Don't like the sound of that 6# trigger or the plastic frame on the 512 (yea I know, plastic's better), and all the stamped parts on the Marlin just seem cheap to me. They do shoot though, but so do CZ's.
While more expencive, in my mind the CZ's better built and just feels more like a grown up rifle so why settle?

455 or 452 I have yet to see a cz bolt gun that did not shoot good groups.I have never been a fan of 22mag autoloaders just my 2cents

Originally Posted By: hunt1I have the 455 and love it. Looks good and shoots very well. It likes Hornady 32gr vmax.

how is it doing with 40 gr? that is my other worry is that it might not like 40 gr. I really want it to shoot 40 gr well for whacking coyote. I wonder if the twist is different in guns that shot 40's well vs 30's ?

Mine likes the 40g cci's very well...

f6875f29.jpg

And who said 22mags don't shoot?

Originally Posted By: RePete455 hands down.

I have one in 22LR that I bought here on the Forum. I have a 22 WMR barrel on back order. Very nice rifle. It is a grown up,s rim fire.
drool.gif

I should mention I had the 452 american in 17hm2 for a while. I also had a 452 lux in 22lr. Both nice guns so I know about their quality.

Last edited:
Be careful of the Marlin XT mag- I bought the XTM with wood stock and sights. It was/is a very nice looking rifle at a great price-$218. However the front sight was mounted with a right hand cant that caused it to shoot 5" to the left at 25 yds! Sent it back twice! and Rem/Marlin finally sent a new rifle with properly mounted sights. The bolt, action, trigger, stock, and general fit and finish are very good. The comb is too high for comfortable iron sight use but overall it is a good value.

Originally Posted By: TnTnTnBe careful of the Marlin XT mag- I bought the XTM with wood stock and sights. It was/is a very nice looking rifle at a great price-$218. However the front sight was mounted with a right hand cant that caused it to shoot 5" to the left at 25 yds! Sent it back twice! and Rem/Marlin finally sent a new rifle with properly mounted sights. The bolt, action, trigger, stock, and general fit and finish are very good. The comb is too high for comfortable iron sight use but overall it is a good value.

I have read more then one thing about sights being off. I would use a scope but still, pretty sad.

Back