Copenhagen

Lots of good advice from a lot of different people. All who have been there, done that. They all say the same.

Odd we\ll come on this forum and ask for and follow advice on how to call a coyote but it's tough to follow the advice that will save your life and change the lives of your family.

Call a friend if you need help quitting or fighting the urge. It only lasts a couple minutes. Heck, call me we'll talk about killing stuff.
thumbup.gif

I chewed Skoal for many years and quit many years ago. Very tough habit to break. Especially cold turkey. I managed by switching to Skoal bandits.

At first I would put six or eight of them in at a time trying to "match" the strength of what I was used to. Then I slowly reduced them until I was down to one at a time.

Then one day I just stopped and said "enough".

That was it and I've never looked back. I won't say that when on occasion I see (or smell!) someone else that's using it that it doesn't bring back good ol' memories, but I can say that I'm no longer at all tempted to partake.

And I feel WAY better too!

So good luck my friend - it ain't easy to quit but you can do it!

You have to want to stop. It takes discipline and asking the good Lord to help sure won't hurt.

I quit an 18 year habit cold turkey when I made that choice.

If you have fillings...keep away from Jolly Rancher candy.

I like the idea that was put out there already
Just tape a pic of that little girl on the lid of that can and every time you get the urge you look at that pic and remind yourself
Why your quit. . .
I quit over twenty years ago and weaned my self down a little at a time.
Every time I'd get the urge I would just tell my self
"Oh yeah, I quit". Literally out loud I would say every time
giving myself that suggestion. "I quit".
Just saying , it helped me.
Good luck... the urges get farther and farther apart as time goes on 'till one day it's gone .

This stuff is awful i havent had a dip in almost 2 years i have a 4yr old and a 2yr old and didnt want them to waste there time and money like i had done im only 34 but i staarted chewing when i was 14 i was up to over 2 cans a day is all i can think of is wow i wasted a lot of money. you can do it you just have to try it is hard as [beeep] to do it but just do it you will survive i promise.

I've never used tobacco so I can't fully appreciate what it takes to quit. But I will not belittle the hold it has on so many people. I do know people that have quit and heard what helped them do it.

For some people it helped when they took the money they would have spent and put in a jar each day. Doing this daily was more helpful than doing it once a week/month/year. By doing this daily they could see their "vacation fund" grow daily and that helped get them through one more day. I know this idea is almost a cliche, but if it helps then it's a good cliche.

Another suggestion that just occurred to me after looking at all of the good ideas that have been listed on a "Hunting Forum". You might try looking for a forum that focuses on quitting tobacco. There's bound to be lots of good ideas there as well.

Good luck, guys. I applaud your efforts.

Quitting smoking/chewing and losing weight are all tough. I have done it all. My wife says i have abnormal self motivation i say i have better things to do such as take care of my daughter and be a good role model to my family and friends. I quit smoking after my college party days, then quit chewing about 4 years ago, and most recently started doing an intense workout/diet plan. It takes serious dedication and you absolutely have to change your mindset to believe that what you are doing is the right thing to do. Life is too short to give it away to something so easy to control. Just make up your mind and do it, stop making excuses not to do it and make excuses why you should. Good luck and God bless.

Prayer is also very important in success!

I quit smoking, dipping, and chewing on Feb. 3rd 1999. I smoked 3 packs of menthols a day plus dipped skoal and chewed Red Man. Sometimes I'd smoke and dip at the same time. I tried the gum and patches and they didn't do much for me. Finally, the wife and I got hypnotized in a large group hypnosis. It is suggestive hypnotism where you are conscious the whole time. They start out with educating you in the costs and harms of tobacco usage, then put a bad image of it in your mind. It only works if you truly want to quit. I've bought quite a few toys since I quit and wonder how I ever afforded the habits. I feel better for doing it and like not being tethered to a spit cup or lighter. Starlight mints helped me through and my pencils looked like a beaver had camped out in my desk for a few years, but the urges faded with time. I work with lots of people that smoke and can sit next to them when they do and don't crave a cigarette. The smells are somewhat offensive to me now where I never noticed them before. When I start poking at my lip for a dip of snuff, I just grab a lifesaver or mint and carry on. While I was just beginning the recovery process, I would still put money in a jar equal to what I would have spent on tobacco for each week. My love for guns quickly killed my love for tobacco when the money started adding up
wink.gif
. Best of luck in quitting. Oh, if the money and other methods don't make you want to quit, try lazer gum surgery. Been there 3 times and going back again next month and it still sucks
scared.gif

I was in H.S. and my mom caught me chewing, made me eat as much as i could untill i started puking, sounds harsh, but 14 yrs later i still feel a twinge in the stomach everytime i smell the stuff.

Funny to see this thread...

I forgot my fresh can of Copenhagen wintergreen sitting on my desk at the house when I left work this morning. I carpool to work. So once im at work im at work till its time to car pool back to the neighbor hood.

Anyways I texted my wife and asked her to throw away my new can so when I got home I would not have any. I figured a day at work with out it should be a darn good start. I have been chewing for 7 years now.

I have a 3 year old son and a 5 year old daughter. I catch my son spitting on the ground when were out side. Like daddy does.... F this stuff im done!!!

Originally Posted By: Clayne_BFunny to see this thread...

I forgot my fresh can of Copenhagen wintergreen sitting on my desk at the house when I left work this morning. I carpool to work. So once im at work im at work till its time to car pool back to the neighbor hood.

Anyways I texted my wife and asked her to throw away my new can so when I got home I would not have any. I figured a day at work with out it should be a darn good start. I have been chewing for 7 years now.

I have a 3 year old son and a 5 year old daughter. I catch my son spitting on the ground when were out side. Like daddy does.... F this stuff im done!!!

Good for you. Hang tough, the cravings only last a minute or two and get less and less each day. Your family will appreciate having you around.

Last edited:
I have never used tobacco products so can't directly relate to the difficulties of quitting, but I have to chime in too. I strongly believe one of the reasons I never started using tobacco was that my parents didn't either. Not only did they not use it, they actively discouraged me and my siblings. So best of luck to you who are quitting!!! Do it for your kids and families. It WILL make a differance in their little minds.

I also believe asking the Good Man Upstairs to help is useful. Ask Him specifically to take away the craving. I'm saying a prayer for all of you right now.

Best of luck. You can do it.

Well guys , after almost 40 yrs of chewing tobacco, I quit the last time after a bout with the flu. I figured that I had gone thru the DT's already and that was half the battle. Been 2 years now. I do the smokey mountain when i have to have something.

Originally Posted By: tt35I chewed for 18 years. They say its more difficult to get off than cigarettes. When I started waking up before daylight and putting a chew in to make it through the rest of the night, I knew I had to do something.

I'm not sure what the product was but I used the patches that take you through three levels. But, I started on the middle dose. My advice is start on the high dose! I also started chewing the mint leaf snuff and just ate it for about a year then realized one day that I was packing it and not dipping. Dumped it and been free of it for 21 years.

Was it easy? Absolutely not. Was it worth it? You bet.
You guys can do this thing. Being there at your kid's graduation will be worth it.

Glad I wasnt the only one who did that.

I chewed cope. and smoked For 9 years. All thru high school and into college. I was a Division I athlete. It was the same in high school as in college with sports and tobacco/alcohol (zero tolerance). Well my chewing got the best of me and lost my scholarship. I then realized that it just cost me a very important thing in my life, and I was very embarrassed. I quit cold turkey. I cant stand the smell of chew or smoke now.

I wish you all the best of luck. Atomic fireballs helped me out.

Last edited:
When I quit chewing I used a button. think about it you are always using your tongue to pack and move to tobacco to where you want it. The button gives you something to move with your tongue which is a big thing when quitting.

Just wanted to mention that when you're trying to quit something & you maybe catch yourself cheating ... don't lose faith! I smoked for 12 years(a full pack a day) & have now been smoke free for 10 years. I started and stopped smoking so many times during the last couple years that I lost track. Anyway, I think that is how I finally kicked it. I finally got so disgusted of myself for starting again & eventually said "enough is enough". You gotta want it bad enough! Plain & simple.

You can quit!
thumbup1.gif

ok so heres my take chewed and smoked many years. Got divorced in 2003 was driveing down the road when my lawyer called and said it was finalized threw a half pack out the window and NEVER picked up another since . Still chewed till 2008 used chantix still chewed for three weeks then one day i was takin a dip and said why ? im not craveing it so gave rest of can to a friend the dr said 7 to 10 days to get over the physical addiction and you never fully get over the mental addiction and he is correct as a verey close friend still chews cope and i have told him several times that its been all of four years since i stopped chewin but i would still to this day knock him on his arse for a dip . So far i havent caved in and i still aint busted him in the chops for a dip either good thing cause he knows how tough it was for me and im afraid id have to knock him out if i was gonna swipe his cope. You have a great reason to quit and i know you can do it for your wife and daughter good luck

Back