Load data for 87 gr vmax

possum#1

Has anyone found any data for the Hornady 87 gr Vmax bullet in a 243?I plan on using IMR 4350.I have checked Hornady and IMR websites and have found nothing.Neither of my manuals have it in there either.If I can not find any I guess I will use the starting load for a 90 gr bullet.Thanks for any info.

Im using the 87vmax in my 243win and it likes 43 grains of H4350 with a Rem 9 1/2. I havent tried the IMR version As always this works in my gun and may not work in yours. Be safe and work up slowly.

Originally Posted By: EJ ReichenbachI just bought some 87gr vmax's to try out tomorrow with h4350.
You wont be disappointed they shoot great out of 243wins. Remember most 243win factory guns are designed for 100 grain pills. The farther you drift away from that then u are fighting yourself. The 87 is the lightest i shoot in my 4-243wins. The other 3 eat 105Amax's.

Originally Posted By: 1holeaddictOriginally Posted By: EJ ReichenbachI just bought some 87gr vmax's to try out tomorrow with h4350.
You wont be disappointed they shoot great out of 243wins. Remember most 243win factory guns are designed for 100 grain pills. The farther you drift away from that then u are fighting yourself. The 87 is the lightest i shoot in my 4-243wins. The other 3 eat 105Amax's.

What twist do they Have? I was wanting to try them in mine but I have a 1-10

Originally Posted By: possum#1Has anyone found any data for the Hornady 87 gr Vmax bullet in a 243?I plan on using IMR 4350.I have checked Hornady and IMR websites and have found nothing.Neither of my manuals have it in there either.If I can not find any I guess I will use the starting load for a 90 gr bullet.Thanks for any info.
you should be good to start at 38or39

Originally Posted By: EJ ReichenbachOriginally Posted By: 1holeaddictOriginally Posted By: EJ ReichenbachI just bought some 87gr vmax's to try out tomorrow with h4350.

What twist do they Have? I was wanting to try them in mine but I have a 1-10
1:9, 1:9.25

My gun has a 1-9 1/4 twist.I hope they shoot well out of it.I tried some 75 hp Hornady in front of Varget today.They shot ok but hope I can get better groups out of it.Just ordered a oal guage and comparator.There is a lot to learn in this reloading.It should be a good winter project for me and my son.

Originally Posted By: possum#1My gun has a 1-9 1/4 twist.I hope they shoot well out of it.I tried some 75 hp Hornady in front of Varget today.They shot ok but hope I can get better groups out of it.Just ordered a oal guage and comparator.There is a lot to learn in this reloading.It should be a good winter project for me and my son.

With that twist you should give the 105amax a try, you will definetly be able to shoot the 87vmax

Mine likes em with Varget.

0641d18c99cd0a3d08f4f6fe8242b22f.jpg

This weekend I did a quick pressure test starting at 43 grains IMR 4350, and going down by 1/2 grain increments to 39.5 grains, in Lapua brass.

Started with the 39.5 and worked my way towards the 43 grain max load. The rifle digested even the 43 grain charge with the 87 gr. hollow point bullet, with moderate fire ring expansion, no signs of cratering or flattening of the primer, so I will stop at 43 grains for max pressure.

Seated the bullet .015" off the lands as measured with the Stoney Point comparator. I used CCI standard large rifle primers. Next is the ladder test to come sometime in the next couple weeks to arrive at a final charge weight. Then, futz about with seating depth and primer choice to arrive at "the load."

IMR 4350 is a coarse extruded powder, and I wish it would meter better than it does. I generally like the performance of extruded powder, but I think I am in search of a ball powder that is suitable in this cartridge, so I can just throw charges and be content.

Last edited:
I run the 87's with IMR 4064. Plenty of load data for that powder and seems to work well for me in my 243. Didn't see the IMR 4350 mentioned in my sources for that bullet weight either
unsure.gif

Mine doesnt like Varget thats for sure, I am going to tweak with h4350 and if that dont work I am going to h4831. Its weird my throat on this gun is really short, saami specs call for a max length of 2.710 at that length I am jammed into the lands, 2.680 is right at .005 off the lands

Guys thanks for all the replys.I will load some up with both Varget and IMR 4350 and see what happens.I will let you know if the Remington likes either of these.

Back