How windy is too windy?

Big95xj

Was planning on goin out in the morning but looks like its gonna be a rainy night and 15-20 mph winds in the morning? Would it be worth while to go out or not? Also what can a guy use as a make shift decoy? Funds are kinda tight right now with christmas and all...

Anything over 20mph and i stay home. I say go call a little louder so your sound reaches out.

Take a turkey feather tie it on a piece of fishing line with a barrel swivel. Then find a 1/4" rod about 3' and bend the top over and tie it on. I like using a 1/4" rod it's easy to stick in the ground and you can stick it in a tree too. You could use a small dowl rod or something else you have layin around.

Thanks sounds simple enough. Is there anything else i could use other than a turkey feather though? I dont think i want to rip a feather out of my fan and beard mount to make a decoy lol. But if i have to then i will...

YOU CAN call in any wind,BUT... I have found your success goes way down the harder the wind blows. The coyotes are more skidish ,there senses are all messed up too. They will cut farther down wind on your and get your sent way before you see them. Its Not that you CAN'T call them in 20/30 MPH wind it just doesn't work very well.

Well the area we will be calling is a river bottom conservation area that is thousands of acres of farm land with a healthy strip of woods along the Missouri river with the farm land in the middle and bluffs and railroad tracks kind of adjacent to the river. So from left to right its river woods/crp wide open farm land rail road tracks bluffs. I think if we can set up near the tracks and call towards the river they wont be able to circle without being seen. And if your at the parking area its open farm land land as far as you can see so im hoping we can have some luck and make a bunch of sets. The only thing im a lil worried about is there is a conservation area not to far away that is a popular place to run em with dogs so im thinkin the place i wanna go is possibly getting hit with dogs too. Is this a problem for a call hunter?

I'd say YES!
Any presser will make them that much more skidish. Just My two cents..
PS can you cal and shoot at night?That may be a better trip.

I dont think it specifically says no hunting at night but im almost possitive you cant use artificial lights in MO. Dont quote me on this [beeep].

Just asking.
The more the coyotes are bothered the better you have to be to get them to come in.I don't know about Mo but up here when we run in to high pressure dogs we go to more coyote sounds then food sounds. If you can get them pissed off they may come in even in strong winds. If your using an electro call turn it loud it won't penetrate the wind very far. OUT here there are times we are calling in dogs from as far away as 2 to 3 miles...You just have to go and try a bunch of different thing till you find something that works.

I am using a Foxpro Spitfire with the preloaded sounds. Could you be a lil more specific as far as what vocalizations to try? I have like the locator call, female long howls, pup distress, and stuff like that but dont have a thorough understanding of what the sounds mean to other yotes...like is the long howl a lonely, hungry, looking for a male etc...i just dont know...

Try a female howl wait 10min min then roll into pup distress. Yotes around my area dont budge in high wind, same with deer. They are skittish enough without it.

Well we went out this morning even with 20 mph winds gusting up to 25. On our third set we had a good size male comee in after about 15 minutes and he took a 52 gr A-max to the shoulder and went night night. It was cool becuase he came right in to the decoy i bought last night. Just a cheap ole primos sitnspin. Wasnt payin any kind of attention to us at all. So that makes 3 since october...not to bad for a newbie i guess....

Originally Posted By: Dead Down WindStick to the draws, thicker cover and always keep the wind in your face or place the call upwind into a crosswind.
Yep thats pretty well how it worked saturday. I am very new to this but i think we had the ideal setup on the set i got him on. The wind was in our face, hunting in the corner of a L shaped field backed by about 400 acres of plowed farm land, calling into some thick conservation land. I think i learned more from that one set than i have at all the others ive made put together...

You can hunt at night in Missouri.....but any use of artificial light is prohibited
thumbdown.gif

Originally Posted By: CookiecutterYou can hunt at night in Missouri.....but any use of artificial light is prohibited
thumbdown.gif

Which makes it a lil tough to hunt at night...

Back