3 out of 13

jarheadhunter

Well that's not completely true. 10 of the 13 were on a private ranch that I do not have access to. So I guess you could say I was 3 for 3 on called in coyotes.

First coyote I see is driving to my first stand about an hour and a half before day light. He is a monster just walking up the side of the two lane highway. I stop right next to him and he doesn't even care. So tempting to pull out the AR and shoot him from the window, but I refrain from doing so.

First stand I was almost certain that I was going to call in a coyote. After 20 min and not seeing anything I get back to the call only to look up the canyon I walked down and can see my truck clear as day.
cursing.gif

Second stand I don't call in anything and starting to wonder if it was even worth being out in the cold, wind and snow.

As I make my way to my next stand I see a coyote trucking across the private ranch pasture and crosses the private road right in front of me to the other side of there property.

Third stand is one of my favorite stands. You can see for miles and I have never called it and not at least seen a coyote. Here is a little panaromic pic of the set I took with the iPhone just so you get the idea.
B3ACDA15-F9EC-4A5C-8127-B60EE8351DF7-4885-000005F27A2392CE.jpg

CDE4D184-F7E6-409F-A6EA-F145DA6DF0A7-4885-000005E6D897EB9B.jpg

Wilydawg and myself called this stand back in Sep and he shot a nice coyote on that stand.

At about the 3 min mark I see a hard charging coyote coming from about 500-600yds out. I think he got to me in about 20 seconds or less. I waited until he sniffed the caller and was just turning to leave the area and I put one in him. My first nice big male of the day.
4B96DBC2-1B97-4161-B6DD-A41C66E5095B-4885-000005E6B0F74C95.jpg

This coyote was pretty old I think. He was missing 1 and a half of his k-9's and his other teeth were pretty worn.
6B39A1F3-FAE2-4E47-8F78-7F73A7CA892B-4885-000005E75D863FDC.jpg

Driving down the road to my next set and come over a little rise in the road and to my left is 3 coyotes running away from me at about 50 yds. Of course private property. I wave as they get out to about 150 yds and stop and look at me.

Next two stands are blank.

On my next stand I stop at a place we drive past every time we come to this area and say I need to call that spot today. So I park the truck on the side of the dirt road just passed the nice canyon I want to call. I walk up a small ravine and pop over the top of the hill and set the caller in the bottom of the valley. I get back up on the side of the hill and the caller is about 20 yds from me. I am at about 7 min on the calling sequence and I catch movement coming from up the canyon right down a cow path. The coyote gets to the call sniffs it and does a 180. I couldn't get on him as I had a sage in front of me.

I had to stand up and fire a shot at him running. First two shots nothing. Third shot I connect and he hunches up, but keeps moving. I continue to follow up on him until I run out of ammo in my 20 round clip. By the time I run out of ammo he is barely running and has made a complete circle around me. He ends up running into the same ravine I walked up to get to the stand. He crosses about 50 yds in front of my truck and you guessed it, ends up going under the fence and onto the private ranch.

I hit his tracks and follow them to the road and at that time here comes the Game Warden. I tell him what happened and he says that I can probably drive back to the ranch house and get permission to get the coyote off the property. It is a 20 mile drive back to the ranch house and I don't think I will have much luck getting on the property.

So I head down the road to my next stand which is only a mile or so. As I am about to my next stand I look to my left and see another "Good Place to call". So I park the truck and walk out about 150 yds and set up the call up wind of me about 20 yds out. The wind and snow is hitting me right in the face on this stand. I call for about 10 min and then I see a flash of brown comming at me. He is another hard charger. He heads slightly to my left and the straight for the call. He gets almost to the call and then I pick my AR up and he flares. I take no time getting the scope settled on him and put a shot into him. He tries to get up for another round of death spins so I give him a follow up shot and he is down.
38B03252-4004-4BC6-9881-FE5617E261E4-4885-000005E8592C49EF.jpg

You can see the tall sage I was calling from.
846BC264-5D7A-44A4-A62A-C437755DE50C-4885-000005E86DAC474D.jpg

1BC4627D-CA1F-4098-961A-9BB500338880-4885-000005E86419B1EC.jpg

My next few stands are just cold and blank. By this time it is about 30-45 min before dark so I decide to head back out and see if I can't get a bonus coyote on my way out. I get almost back to the ranch house and see there is a lot of crows and eagles by the fence. I take out my binos and there is 5 coyotes eating on a dead cow about 300 yds from me. Just on the other side of the private property. I too wave at those five and make my way back home.

39624D63-90DD-4E55-A77F-F7DBAB494DD8-4885-000005E8767083E4.jpg

It was a great day only thing that would of made it better is if my hunting partner would of been there with me.

HOMAnimated_zpsa2612f08.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Dang, sounds like some kind of "can't refuse" gratuity may be in line for that rancher. Gotta get permission somehow! Great day and some nice shootin'!

good stuff Man.... question....? When they run up to your caller... is it still blaring or turned off...?

Just wondering because the only way I could stop some hard chargers is to turn it off during their last 50-75 yds... which made for easy standing shots.

Well... most of them that is... I did have one that could see the call on the ground and it ran right to it, and just stood there for the shot... but he was full of mange and had a mercy death wish.

Seems like your making a living off of killing dogs this year... that's great.

Originally Posted By: dan brothersgood stuff Man.... question....? When they run up to your caller... is it still blaring or turned off...?

Just wondering because the only way I could stop some hard chargers is to turn it off during their last 50-75 yds... which made for easy standing shots.

Well... most of them that is... I did have one that could see the call on the ground and it ran right to it, and just stood there for the shot... but he was full of mange and had a mercy death wish.

Seems like your making a living off of killing dogs this year... that's great.

Still blaring. I actually never shut my caller off or muted while calling this day. The only break in calling would be changing sounds which didn't happen much. I just let it go.

Last edited:
jarheadhunter--Thanks for posting the great photos and the story. By the looks of the teeth on that old dog, I think he could have used the services of a good dentist!!!

Back