Copenhagen

burris

This is not really related to hunting but some may benefit from the post. I have been a Copenhagen snuff dipper for the past 20 yrs. I have a two and a half year old that follows everything I do and yesterday after I spit she followed me and did the same. I have tried once before to quit with Chantix or something and it did not work with me. Does anyone have any suggestions to quit dipping a seriouly addicting habit? I would really appreciate any feedback. Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

Yep this post is in the wrong forum but I'll leave it here because it is really an important issue.

I quit smoking years ago. Then I went to Copenhagen for about a year. decided to quit that and did. If I could lose weight as easily as I quit the nicotine, I'd have it built. Everyone is different and it takes different triggers to quit.

You might try taping a pic of your little girl on the top of the can. That would sure do it for me.

I am in the same boat , I smoked for almost 10years then started chewing right after that . Its been 7 years for the chewing , I have a 3 year old girl myself . Just decided its time to quit , gonna quit the first of the year . Putting in my last chew at 11:30pm on December 31st . Good Luck !!!

Ive chewed wintergreen snuff since i was 12! Im 26 now and still chewing away. I could never gut it (swallow the spit) until a few years ago, but now I find myself spitting rarely. Have had some strange sores in my mouth and spit blood from deep in my throat several times. It is time for me to quit and get back into shape. Ill try whatever you do burris!!!

The only suggestions I can give you to maybe help you quit are this ...

My dad used to smoke & chew and he has been fighting mouth cancer for the last couple years. Last year they had to totally remove one of his cheeks & lower jaw in order to get the cancer out! They rebuilt everything with tissue and bone from one of his legs. It's been very hard to watch him suffer through this and I hope your children never have to watch their dad do the same.

Good Luck!

Hey guys new to the sight and found this post, and had to reply. I chewed cope for 10 years and never could quit. I realized it wasn't because I couldn't, but rather because I never really wanted too. When I found out my wife was pregnant with a little girl ( our first kid) I decided right then and there I had to quit. People have tried to back off and take smaller dips, or say ill quit tomorrow but for me I was headed down the road with a brand new freshly opened can in my had, I thought about that little girl and out the window the can went, (yes I littered). Since then I have been chew free. Is it easy? [beeep] no, my mouth waters every time I'm around buddies that have a dip in, but you have to decide what is important to you. What ever method to quit you chose and how ever long it takes, good luck. Sunflower seed take the edge off too, it helps. Good luck

I chewed for 15 years I wanted so badly to quit because I didnt want my little boy to think it was cool, one day I noticed a white patch in my cheek it didnt hurt but it realy scared the livin daylights out of me so I quit and it will be a year next month, and it took a good 6 months for that white patch to completely go away.

As an Oncology RN I would recommend quitting NOW. Head and neck cancer from chewing/smoking is a BRUTAL treatment and ALL self induced. And I have so many, many patients that smoked in their teens and developed lung cancer later in life. It's to hard to stay healthy as it is so, why add insult to injury? I used to smoke so I know how hard it is to quit. It's habit forming and that's what makes it so difficult to ditch. After a few beers on a friday night and I want a smoke. Will be that way forever. So now I watch my alcohol intake too. Chewing gums helps me.

Good luck

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: burrisThis is not really related to hunting but some may benefit from the post. I have been a Copenhagen snuff dipper for the past 20 yrs. I have a two and a half year old that follows everything I do and yesterday after I spit she followed me and did the same. I have tried once before to quit with Chantix or something and it did not work with me. Does anyone have any suggestions to quit dipping a seriouly addicting habit? I would really appreciate any feedback. Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

Originally Posted By: Flat Land CoaxerIve chewed wintergreen snuff since i was 12! Im 26 now and still chewing away. I could never gut it (swallow the spit) until a few years ago, but now I find myself spitting rarely. Have had some strange sores in my mouth and spit blood from deep in my throat several times. It is time for me to quit and get back into shape. Ill try whatever you do burris!!!

I don't post a lot of pictures of myself on here because every time I do I've got that big stupid redneck stereotype lump in my lip from a giant dip of Skoal. I think it looks stupid and sends a wrong message about me, I'm really embarrassed about it. Also I see customers walking around my shop carrying a nasty disgusting spit bottle with them, I hate it when they set it up on top of the gun counter for everyone to see. I'm a dipper and I think that is DISGUSTING!!! That being said, I just bought a fresh can of snuff and a can of SNUS for when I'm at work, how stupid am I? I'm going to try and quit for New Years myself...AGAIN. Think of all the money we will be saving! That NightForce you want could be paid for by your snuff money alone!

Chupa

Your Girl mimicking you should be enough incentive. I smoked a pipe for many years until my 3 year old Son crawled up in my lap and said "Daddy, you stink"! I put it down that day and been quit for 24 years!
Bet your Wife will kiss you a lot more often after quitting also
thumbup.gif

I just stopped decided it was a wast of money. I had been a cope user since I was 14 and I was in collage at the time so I just quit. It's time so just do it just stop. It can be done

A friend of mine who is a long time Copenhagen user is going through radiation and chemo.He had to get a feeding tube put in his stomach because the treatment leaves his mouth so sore he cant eat.After the treatment they will do a surgery which will leave him scarred for life.If he could talk to you he would say,QUIT! DO IT NOW! And for those of you that notice any strange white patches or lumps in your mouth for gods sake go to the Doc!

I've never dipped or smoked. I guess I never saw the glamour of it??

I wish you all the best of luck in quitting. I hope you can pull through it. After watching my Grandfather wither away and die of lung cancer, I knew then I'd never smoke, nor chew. It may be hard for you to quit, but it will be harder for your children to burry you because you didn't.

Originally Posted By: boscoA friend of mine who is a long time Copenhagen user is going through radiation and chemo.He had to get a feeding tube put in his stomach because the treatment leaves his mouth so sore he cant eat.After the treatment they will do a surgery which will leave him scarred for life.If he could talk to you he would say,QUIT! DO IT NOW! And for those of you that notice any strange white patches or lumps in your mouth for gods sake go to the Doc! ,

I did in fact go to the doctor, 2 different ones, cuz I didnt trust the first one, they told me it was like probably scar tissue, it wasnt lumpy. I am so glad that I quit, I think about it everyday I chew alot of gum but I dont recall anybody losing there face from gum. All I have to say is QUIT now before your getting surgery or worse yet, my biggest fear was that my son would grow up and start chewing and be one of those that chewed for 3 months and got cancer, I would never be able to deal with that.

Its easy to quit! I have done it a number of times. I also have tried the chantix and things. The last time I quit I would buy a can of smokey mountain which is all natural non tobacco. I would mix smokey mountain and my brand and slowly weened myself. I then continued to with just smokey mountain for several months.

I chewed for 18 years. They say its more difficult to get off than cigarettes. When I started waking up before daylight and putting a chew in to make it through the rest of the night, I knew I had to do something.

I'm not sure what the product was but I used the patches that take you through three levels. But, I started on the middle dose. My advice is start on the high dose! I also started chewing the mint leaf snuff and just ate it for about a year then realized one day that I was packing it and not dipping. Dumped it and been free of it for 21 years.

Was it easy? Absolutely not. Was it worth it? You bet. You guys can do this thing. Being there at your kid's graduation will be worth it.

I smoked for 25 years and decided I needed to quit.

Just tossed them away and quit.Was not easy but I have not smoked for several years now.

Back