Savage 11/111 Hunter XP vs Trophy Hunter XP? Buying online?

CatfishSlayer

Hey all first post and new to the predator hunting world.

I am in the market for a new 22-250. I have narrowed things down to the Savage 11/111 Hunter XP or the trophy hunter XP. I have never used the accutrigger and it looks freakish to me so I don't know whether it's worth buying the Trophy version or not. I have read the reviews of the accu on here as well and it seems a 50/50 love hate relationship. I also am leery of the Nikon BDC recticle as I am used to normal crosshairs.
Can anyone tell me how good the scope is on the regular hunter XP?(it's a Bushnell 3-9x40). If the scope is decent I may get the regular hunter as it is $100 cheaper and if I don't like the trigger I can use that $ for an aftermarket one.
I wish these guns were sold without the scopes so I could buy what I want but this can get me by until next season.

The Axis is sold without scopes but read too many negative reviews on the milk jug plastic stock.

I have a Savage 110 7mm Rem Mag and it shoots well thus the reason for solely going with another Savage.
Last pestering question is I am 60 miles from a stocked gun dealer and nobody has a 22-250 in stock. It looks relatively simple to buy one online. I am considering Bud's Gun Shop and Able Ammo if anyone has past experience. I see several complaints from Bud's.

Thank you all for your help on my first post!
BTW I am from SW Indiana...........

Accu trigger just takes some getting used to. I hated mine at first and now it's nothing. The Nikon has your normal center cross just has the BD in circles I would take the Nikon over the Bush any day and say it is worth the extra $100.

Also if you plan on selling the scope you will get more out of the Nikon then the Bushnell $100+ compared to the $50-.

I bought mine from Buds and it was shipped fast and easy since they already had my FFL on file. I think it took 3-4 times from time I ordered till my FFL called to have me pick it up.

Welcome to the site

I bought my hunter xp with nikon from cheaper than dirt. they have great prices and the shipping cost was only 10.00..... the nikon is a very good scope, but I sold it for 150.00 and bought a coyote special. the accutrigger is okay... but a custom trigger is better... which cost 100.00.

My local gun shop price matched to within 20 bucks of Buds. So I just had them order it for me. I had it within 3 days.

I now have the Trophy Hunter XP in both .22-250 and 7mm-08. I have yet to shoot either, but will after the new year starts.

Wifey got me the Hunter package for Xmas last year in .243. I replaced the scope with a Bushnell Elite 4x16x50 and put a rifle Basix trigger in it. Ended up with a pretty darn nice setup without having to break the bank. Unless you are going to leave it alone get the cheaper one and set it up how you like it.
243firstjpg.jpg

Unless the shooter just doesn't like the Accutrigger, the Trophy Hunter package makes more sense to me. The Trophy Hunter XP has the Accutrigger and a good scope for about $500. The Hunter has a lower quality scope and the lower grade trigger. By the time the trigger and scope are upgraded, you have spent more than the cost of the Trophy Hunter package.

I just had a buddy buy a .243 in the Trophy Hunter XP. It's a nice shooting gun. In my opinion, the difference between the Nikon and Bushnell scope is worth the $100 difference. Not to mention that the accutrigger is a far superior trigger than the stock trigger on the Hunter package. By the time you upgrade the trigger and scope on the Hunter XP package, you will have much more into the gun than if you would have if you would have just purchased the Trophy Hunter package. That's my 2 cents.

I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions. I think I am going with the Trophy version to start off with. The price difference is only $60 or so at Bud's. Will be ordering Monday if all goes well. Thank you.

Back