Custom Hunting Rifle

Dirt Nap

I was wondering if I could pick someone's brain about getting a custom rifle made. I don't want anything crazy but would like my custom to be somewhere along the lines of a Remington Sendero. I was looking at Carolina Customs but $4000 is more than I would like to spend. Any insight would be appreciated!!

Chambering? Action preference? Barrel contour? Stock type/config? What is your real budget, with out glass?

These will help greatly with the answer.

Remington Action........$450-ish deepening on where/how you find it.
Custom maker barrel ..$350
Chamber cut, bbl inst...$300
Stock?..........................$200-800!
Trigger..........................$150
$1500 can get you a real sweet rig, then add glass, mounts, etc

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Chambering? Action preference? Barrel contour? Stock type/config? What is your real budget, with out glass?

These will help greatly with the answer.

Remington Action........$450-ish deepening on where/how you find it.
Custom maker barrel ..$350
Chamber cut, bbl inst...$300
Stock?..........................$200-800!
Trigger..........................$150
$1500 can get you a real sweet rig, then add glass, mounts, etc

Looking for a 25-06 and a .338wm. I want a heavy fluted barrel with a hs precision stock

The problem with used, lots of folks don't/didn't take very good care of their firearms.

Look at the bolt lugs for galling, pull the action out of the stock and look for rust pits in areas that never get pulled....if you can get the screws out, might be rusted in place. Haven't even mentioned barrel or muzzle wear.

But if you can find an old one for cheap, you can always use it for a build!

And if you don't mind waiting for what you want, buy it one piece at a time, and eventually you will have exactly what you want.

Good Luck!
Pick a good 'Smith, too!

As mentioned above build is the way to go. Get yourself a good action and then start ordering parts, stock, barrel, trigger etc. Most barrels are 16-20 weeks out and same on stocks like mcmilian or manners. But when its all done you will have exactly what you want and won't have to settle for what's out there.

You don't have to wait on stocks and barrels. You can almost always find someone who has what you want in stock and ready to ship. If you narrow down your choices on exactly what you want, PM me and I'll be glad to help you find someone who has it in stock and ready to go. Waiting 16-20 weeks is ridiculous. You just have to know where to look.

I can also give you the name of some very good gunsmiths that won't charge you $4000 to build a rifle.

Finding an action is easy, especially if your wanting a Rem700. Go to your local Dick's Sporting Gooods or Academy and pick up one of the synthetic ADL specials in a short or long action caliber depending on what you want. They are $379 + tax. You now have a action to build off of. Take the stock off and either throw it in the trash or use it to practice your painting skills or bedding jobs. The trigger can be tuned, by a smith to some degree, but I'd sell it for $40-$50 and buy a Timney or a Jewel. The smith will remove the factory barrel for you when he's ready to install your new one.

If you just get on Brownells and order a action alone, it's going to be $400-$500 (for a Rem700) depending on what you want. The way listed above is the cheapest way, unless you score a used one somewhere on the cheap.

As with anything read on the Internet, put your own thought into it and don't just listen to what others tell you or reccomend.

Good luck

If you are close to Phoenix, go see Lester at Brouno's shooter supply. He will most likly have a barrel, and stock in stock. If you want he will do the gunsmithing also. There is several other good smiths in the central Az. area also.

Originally Posted By: nr123Take a close look at Cooper rifles before you take the plunge on a custom.

Pretty sure they supported the obama administration. Not trying to spark a political debate but they wont get a cent from me.

Originally Posted By: NE_WelderOriginally Posted By: nr123Take a close look at Cooper rifles before you take the plunge on a custom.

Pretty sure they supported the obama administration. Not trying to spark a political debate but they wont get a cent from me.

See what happens when you exercise your freedoms and others disagree with you.
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/2008-10-30-gun-ceo-ousted_N.htm
glare.gif

Last edited:
Back