12 ga Buckshot Loads for Coyotes using # T and # 4

Anyone have any coyote buckshot load data for # T or # 4 buckshot, using 2 3/4" Federal Gold Medal or Fiocchi hulls? I have approx. 800 of each type of hull. I trying to find a good coyote load.

I tried substituting # 4 Buck for a regular lead 1 1/4 load - 1 1/8 of Buckshot and 20 grains of buffer @ 1,440 FPS. All the other componets match the published load data exactly. I wasn't too happy with the pattern. But this was my first buckshot load. My gun is a full choke.

I have five rounds loaded of an 1 1/8 oz load to pattern today. 23 #4 pellets - 4 grains under 1 1/8 oz, no buffer. Twenty three pellets stack well in a Federal 12S3 wad using an overshot card. Overshot card weighs 1.3 grains. Load is a published Alliant load: Powder - Longshot, Primer - Win. 209, Wad- Fed. 12S3, Grain - 38.1, PSI - 10,600 PSI , FPS -1585. Powder and shot are weighed on a scale.

I have T shot on order.

Last edited:
I'm working on the same thing. I have alot of fiocchi hulls as well. Have not found load data for those hulls yet

Lyman Manuel has 1 1/8oz load with Winchester hulls , win 209 primer,33g. Longshot, waa12 wad, @1474fps 9,200psi

ill let you know how it works for me

Caution
Just noticed the manuel says not to use with
Steel
Bismuth
Hevi shot
Buck shot
Slugs

Guess its back to searching

Blue dot is your baby!

fiocchi hulls with 35g of Blue DOT with 1 1/2- oz of #4 (32)buck shot kills like lightening@ approx 1250-1300 fps.

You may want to order some T shot from Ballistic's products and/ or some F buck.

Remington and Winchester hulls are available.

In the Winchester, 50g of AA2400 with a BP12 wad and gas seal is smoken with 1 5/8 of shot at 1350 fps. This load patterns EXTREMELY TIGHT!!!

For 40 yards and under 24 #4 buck with 24g of Unique at 1250 fps is a tight load and 37g of Blue Dot is 1360 fps AA hull.

I have a bag of Lawrence High Antomony BB's if you want to go that route, send me a PM if interested.

What wad do you use with the fiocchi hulls,35g. blue dot And which primer?also also is that for 2 3/4" or 3" hulls

Last edited:
You want a coyote killer here is what I use. BE CAREFUL!
Published load but it's a BPI and it HOT!!!

3" 12 ga ,1 5/8 oz Nickel "F"= Fiocchi 3" Pre primed hull/Multi metal 3" wad/6 gr buffer/ .060 plastic over shot disk/ roll crimp 37.5 gr blue dot # F Nickel 42 pellets

Originally Posted By: jetmanYou want a coyote killer here is what I use. BE CAREFUL!
Published load but it's a BPI and it HOT!!!

3" 12 ga ,1 5/8 oz Nickel "F"= Fiocchi 3" Pre primed hull/Multi metal 3" wad/6 gr buffer/ .060 plastic over shot disk/ roll crimp 37.5 gr blue dot # F Nickel 42 pellets

+1

I have been shooting this load for many years, 38g of Blue Dot in a Rem or Win 3" hull, Ballistics Product wad BP12 + bp gas seal and 1 5/8 oz of shot, buffer if you like, can't say enough good about this load.

Another load that is out of this world in a Win 3" hull, 50g of 2400, with a BP 12 and Gas seal with 1 5/8 oz of shot. This load patterns so tight it is hard to believe. I have been shooting this load for 20 years. Speed on this load is an honest 1350 fps and is not for the faint of heart.

Keep plastic out of the barrel!

Originally Posted By: ackleyman
jetman said:
This load patterns so tight it is hard to believe. I have been shooting this load for 20 years.

You are taking a big chance with this statement, we have so-called experts around here that have to see pics of you at the range and a sworn affidavit.

Blue Dot powder is bad in cold weather. You lose velocity in cold weather, especially when it gets into the single digits and below zero. Lack of recoil and killing power supports this. I learned it the hard way while moonlight calling in cold weather.

Last edited:
I think T shot is only available in steel shot
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Randy G.Blue Dot powder is bad in cold weather. You lose velocity in cold weather, especially when it gets into the single digits and below zero. Lack of recoil and killing power supports this. I learned it the hard way while moonlight calling in cold weather.

Ok, what is your alternative. I killed a lot with it in 5* weather in Kansas, 38g of BD, 1 5/8oz of 4's. Typically, I would use a magnum cci 209 primer for cold weather vs the normal win. The cci will open up the primer pockets for normal win primer use from then on, so I mark the base of the hull with a magic marker as an indication of enlarged primer pocket...cheddite primers will do the same thing.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanOriginally Posted By: Randy G.Blue Dot powder is bad in cold weather. You lose velocity in cold weather, especially when it gets into the single digits and below zero. Lack of recoil and killing power supports this. I learned it the hard way while moonlight calling in cold weather.

Ok, what is your alternative. I killed a lot with it in 5* weather in Kansas, 38g of BD, 1 5/8oz of 4's. Typically, I would use a magnum cci 209 primer for cold weather vs the normal win. The cci will open up the primer pockets for normal win primer use from then on, so I mark the base of the hull with a magic marker as an indication of enlarged primer pocket...cheddite primers will do the same thing. I never use Winchester or CCI primers with slow burning powders, I always use Federal. As far as powders, I use IMR 4756 for all my cold weather loads now. As far as Blue Dot, Ballistic Products research backs up the experience I had with it in very cold weather. In fact if I remember right, they don't recommend Blue Dot in temps below 25.

Last edited:
Back