anybody using cage live traps...

Yeah I use them. I purchased 8 over the summer. I bought them from Mercer Lawing in California. They are really nice. Just a little bulky compared to the footholds. His website is cagingbobcats.com

I have 48 cage traps set in colorado for Bobcat and Pine marten and fox.

Mercer cages are great. have a few of them. also have a few briar patch cages.
I like cage traps better them leg holds. because I can set 5 cage traps for every leg hold trap.
also don't have to worry about my catch getting eaten by another critter. plus ranchers love my cage traps because i don't catch or harm his dogs or barn cats.

Holy crap didnt think anybody ran that many cage traps ...I think I am going to give them a try ....I am also going to look into those traps you guys mentioned ...thank you guys for the info

i use them for coon
but now after catching a few,every morning the baits gonna and door still open,dont know what happening,tried moveing bait to back still same thing.

do u guys put bait wright on trip pan?

I put my bait in hole under cage when targeting coons.
makes them go all the way in cage to even get to bait.and then if miss trigger by walking. them shaking trap gets them every time.

I just use dog food and fish oil mixed together. for coon bait. cheap and lasts forever.
also catch fox, ringtais, SKUNKS.....

I set my lure or bait underneath the cage towards the back to make sure they come all the way into the cage to get a sniff. If they go in there usually is not coming out that way. I also place a stick from one side of the cage to the other at the very back right past the pan to make sure they don't step past the pan.

I mostly use cage traps around the house but sometimes put one on the trap line. Bait coins with darn near anything you would eat. Use peppermint oil on a string tied to the cage to attract them. Drill holes in an empty tuna can and wire it to the cage, put your bait in the can and replace lid to the best of your ability. This will keep the coon in the trap longer and give him more opportunity to trip the trap.

Check out the video I just posted of my first bobcat caught in a cage trap I purchased from Mercer out of California. I do not have any other brands, so I cannot speak for them, but Mercer makes a quality cage. I will be getting more.

It is gospel on what Shepherd0610 said about setting 5 cage traps for every 1 leghold. I run both right now.

I make my living by trapping and use a lot of cage traps. The two that are mentioned I hear are great traps, I have never used them but they both have a great reputation so I am sure you can not go wrong with them. I use a trap from a company called Advanced trap and his traps are tripped by a wire trigger like from a coni trap not a pan type trigger. This wire trigger will stop a lot of the bait thieves that are used to the pan type triggers. These traps can be set at extreme angles, upside down, sideways it does not matter the doors are spring powered on many of his models. Look at www.advancedtrap.com

Last edited:
Use cages exclusively around the house for skunk, opposum, coon, and feral cats. Can't use anything else because we have dogs, but the cages have accounted for a lot of turkey and quail nest robbing varmints. 50lb bag of cheap dog food will catch just about anything.

my friend in OK uses live ducks in the compartment cage in the rear... catches bobs all the time... as well as other stuff. Two traps with hearing of each other will keep them quaking more often.

I just bought two sets of Schroader Nesting cages. they are awesome. always wanted a few and they work like a charm.
thank you marty Baxter of Petska Furs for bringing them down.

Back