Bushmaster Varminter Bullet Weight Question

TCRay

I have a Bushmaster Varninter. I have missed 2 coyotes with it this season. I have a good Burris 4-12x42 on it. It doesn't seem to keep great groups. The twist is 1:9.

Dies anyone have some advice on bullet weight and /or brand that worjs well for them?

Thanks!
Tom

Originally Posted By: TCRayI have a Bushmaster Varninter. I have missed 2 coyotes with it this season. I have a good Burris 4-12x42 on it. It doesn't seem to keep great groups. The twist is 1:9.

Dies anyone have some advice on bullet weight and /or brand that worjs well for them?

Thanks!
Tom

That rifle SHOULD shoot a bunch of different bullets plenty good. At least plenty good enough to hit coyotes.

If it's *not keeping great groups*, I doubt it is the bullet you are shooting. Could be lots of other things though.

What bullet are you shooting?

Thanks for the feedback. I have shot 60, 62, 68 and 69 grain of different makers. None keep a tight group.

My scope mount is a LaRue Tactical. My scope is a Burris 4-12x42 with Mil-spec reticle and rangefinder. It has good, clear optics.

I put a small rubber device between the lower and upper receiver that I purchased through Brownells to take out any "slop".

I am not a bad shot. I had a really nice Savage 110 FP and could keep dime and nickle-size groups at 100 yards easy.

It seems that the Bushmaster just isn't being consistent with any load. I am about ready to send it to the manufacturer for them to look at it.

try some lighter bullets first. My varminter loved the winchester 45 gr jhp. you have a 9 twist so it should shine with 40's thru 60.

I got an AR-15 too. I remembered the day I got it..after I left the rifle range with it, knew it wasn't accurate like my 308 is.
mad.gif
after I spent $1000.00 ...Its a battle rifle, with a hard trigger pull. nuff said
thumbdown.gif
My 308 Model 10 Savage with accu trigger can't be beat. A dime can cover 3 holes at 100 yds. 4x to 16x scope; so, with a 147 FMJ it takes them all down. They all get thier pictures taken that I shoot.

I shot a couple yotes with 223 and I couldn't recover them for pictures at the tailgate. You probably hit those yotes you shot at, remember its a 22 bullet. On the other hand I just kept that AR-15 in case the zoombies come to my house.

Originally Posted By: Bob Tucker
I shot a couple yotes with 223 and I couldn't recover them for pictures at the tailgate.

Sounds like you may need a few pointers on where to hit coyotes.

Do some reading here and you'll figure out how to get er done with that puny .223.

TC,

I too had a bushmaster varminter and never could get it to group as accurately as I had hoped. Got rid of the upper, ordered a Dtech .223 and never looked back.

Well, doggin, LOL, I don't know, maybe I do need a few pointers, aint like a lot of guys,that make a one shot kill everytime. Only been huntin and shootin since 1962.

Originally Posted By: mikegrangerTC,

I too had a bushmaster varminter and never could get it to group as accurately as I had hoped. Got rid of the upper, ordered a Dtech .223 and never looked back.

What lenth barrel and rifling twist is that?
I know the trigger has got to go for sure. Like pulling on a team of horses.
I could probably get a tighter group with a decent trigger.

LOL all ya want Bob. You come on here claiming you shot a couple of coyotes with a .223 and couldn't recover them. No biggie. You shoot enough coyotes sooner or later you're gonna lose a few. MOST times it is due to piss poor shot placement. And that's usually the cause no matter what a coyote is shot with.

Then you go on to say:
Originally Posted By: Bob Tucker You probably hit those yotes you shot at, remember its a 22 bullet. On the other hand I just kept that AR-15 in case the zoombies come to my house.

And that made me LOL. Dang sure makes me wonder how much real world experience you have with a .223. But it's your story Bob. If you say you've been hunting and shooting since '62, then by golly that's what is going in the archives.

Originally Posted By: Bob Tucker On the other hand I just kept that AR-15 in case the zoombies come to my house.

Keeping that AR15 just for zombies could be a costly mistake Bob. If that *22 bullet* shot out of the AR won't kill a coyote, it surely won't kill a brain eating zombie. Just looking out for your well being Bob.

You're welcome.

Mine prefers the Hornady 40 grain vmax in their Varmint line of ammunition. Shoots about .60- .75 at 100 yards. Good enough at around $17.00 a box of twenty.

My bushy varminter shoots 40 to 69 grainers very accurate.
If it wont shoot under an inch at 100 yards theres a problem somewhere,i would change the scope out first.

I only shoot 55 gr in my Bushmaster Varminter. mine is over 10 years old and has always been a tack driver. SP, HP and FMJ all are excellent in that rifle.

Most of those came in a 1 in 12twist are you sure on the twist rate? I use 40gr vmaxs out of my Bushy Varminter with sub .5in groups all day long.

I have a Bushy V 24" 1 in 9 will shoot bug holes at 100yds
useing 50gr v max fiocchi ammo.
also a 20" preditor bushy. will do the same thing, same ammo 1in8.
hope this helps.

Back