New coyote hunter

Jordan1186

Hey all, I'm new to coyote hunting as of about a month ago. I've been reading these forums for awhile and there is some awesome tips. I live in southwest Missouri and I have always heard coyotes howling and carrying on in the night, so I decided to try and hunt them. Wow is it tough.

I'm still yet to call one in but I'm hopeful when I get more experience that it will happen for me. This is my gear list, so anyone feel free to add something in that I need.

Savage Axis .22-250
Foxpro wildfire call
Flextone mimic call

I'll probably get a decoy in the near future, been reading good things about the stray cat decoy on here. Well I guess that's it, sorry for the long introduction, thanks for the tips guys

As a new hunter myself, all I can say is patience and keep learning, trying new things, new setups, etc...

I could tell you a story about how I just called in my first yote Sunday after being unsuccessful for three months. And this was on land that I have never hunted on at all.

So patience my friend, being out in the woods alone increases your chances. You have the necessities in my opinion that you need, a gun and the fox pro wildfire call. Now you just have to go out in the woods and practice patience.

Now I hope to actually make contact with a yote this coming weekend because I missed when I called my first and only in...

welcome

now your hooked and you wont be able to do anything but think of hunting yotes

but i would get a decoy of some sorts

just keep pluging away and soon it will be fur down

Welcome, I too am relatively new. I joined about this time last year and went through the entire last winter with zero luck. I ended up popping my first one about two months ago and got my second last week. Both of them were just literally walking through my yard. Didn't have to call them in. As stated, patience. I'm still trying to figure out a good calling sequence to get them to come in. Stay at it and it will only be a matter of time before you get one
smile.gif

Welcome Jordan
smile.gif
add a good pair of boots to scout in and keep that sames pleasantness and appreciation when you knock on doors for permission and success will find you. Good luck
smile.gif

Thanks guys for all the warm welcomes. It was so windy today(30 mph winds) that I didn't get to go out out like I wanted to but I'm hoping on tomorrow. The patience coyote hunting takes is amazing, but in the end it will all be worth it I think, just gotta keep going at it. Again thanks for the welcome and as soon as I tag one you fellas will be the first to know!

Hang in there Jordan.....it's been really slow here in Southeast Missouri,what we need is some serious cold weather and snow to make those Coyote's cold and hungry and they will come in to the Calls much easier!
wink.gif

Yeah I'm hoping when it starts getting cold that they will come in easier. It's suppose to be in the 60s here the rest of the week so I hope it starts cooling down before too long.

A Feather Distractor is an easy and simple decoy that keeps a Predators eyes on it and not where the Hunter is sitting and trying to get a shot.I have the H.S. foldable distractor and it has help me several times in getting a Coyote while calling!

I also have recently bought the Jack Attack motion decoy,have only used it a few times so far and haven't had anything run in on it yet but hopefully as the colder weather sets in it will earn its keep?
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jordan1186Hey I live in southwest Missouri and I have always heard coyotes howling and carrying on in the night, so I decided to try and hunt them. Wow is it tough.

What part of SW Mo you live in? I just joined up here, so maybe we could hunt together if you are close enough. I'm South of Springfield

I too just got hooked on coyote hunting in Missouri. I cant offer any advice due to i dont have a clue what im doing either. The difference between our situations [beeep] is i got spoiled. I had one come running in on my second set ever with in about 3 minutes of sitting down. It was dumb luck i think but now it has me expecting the same results every time out. And my biggest problem is staying on stand long enough. So if i had any advice it would be what everyone else is saying...be patient and dont give up...I have grandparents in Theodosia on Bull Shoals and get down in that area quite a bit. Maybe we could join up sometime and give a go...

Originally Posted By: Big95xjI too just got hooked on coyote hunting in Missouri. I cant offer any advice due to i dont have a clue what im doing either. The difference between our situations [beeep] is i got spoiled. I had one come running in on my second set ever with in about 3 minutes of sitting down. It was dumb luck i think but now it has me expecting the same results every time out. And my biggest problem is staying on stand long enough. So if i had any advice it would be what everyone else is saying...be patient and dont give up...I have grandparents in Theodosia on Bull Shoals and get down in that area quite a bit. Maybe we could join up sometime and give a go...

I live about 20 miles from Theodosia.

Originally Posted By: RJM AcresOriginally Posted By: Big95xjI too just got hooked on coyote hunting in Missouri. I cant offer any advice due to i dont have a clue what im doing either. The difference between our situations [beeep] is i got spoiled. I had one come running in on my second set ever with in about 3 minutes of sitting down. It was dumb luck i think but now it has me expecting the same results every time out. And my biggest problem is staying on stand long enough. So if i had any advice it would be what everyone else is saying...be patient and dont give up...I have grandparents in Theodosia on Bull Shoals and get down in that area quite a bit. Maybe we could join up sometime and give a go...

No kiddin? We were just down there for thanksgiving. I thought about bringing the gear but didnt. Hows the hunting in that area? i would have to imagine its difficult with the almost mountainish terrain...

Im in Clever, it's about 15 minutes west of Nixa. I just got a Primos double cotton tail mouth call so I hope it works, I'm going to go try it out right now. Wish me luck lol

Originally Posted By: Big95xjOriginally Posted By: RJM AcresOriginally Posted By: Big95xjI too just got hooked on coyote hunting in Missouri. I cant offer any advice due to i dont have a clue what im doing either. The difference between our situations [beeep] is i got spoiled. I had one come running in on my second set ever with in about 3 minutes of sitting down. It was dumb luck i think but now it has me expecting the same results every time out. And my biggest problem is staying on stand long enough. So if i had any advice it would be what everyone else is saying...be patient and dont give up...I have grandparents in Theodosia on Bull Shoals and get down in that area quite a bit. Maybe we could join up sometime and give a go...

No kiddin? We were just down there for thanksgiving. I thought about bringing the gear but didnt. Hows the hunting in that area? i would have to imagine its difficult with the almost mountainish terrain...

Hunting should be real good about now.
I've been hearing coyotes every night starting just before dusk
until well after dawn.
To hunt in my area, high top, lace up boots are pretty much a
must due to the steep terrain and loose rocks. I tend to hike
in a little ways to get away from the roads. Road noise doesn't
seem to bother the coyotes but folks will go by real slow to
see what I'm up to if I'm close to the roads.

Huh i may give it a go next time i get down there. When we were down for thanksgiving i could hear em all around the lake...with it being as low as it is i may try setting up down by the water once...dunno if it would work but you never know.
Good luck Jordan let us know how that call works out!!

Originally Posted By: Big95xjHuh i may give it a go next time i get down there. When we were down for thanksgiving i could hear em all around the lake...with it being as low as it is i may try setting up down by the water once...dunno if it would work but you never know.
Good luck Jordan let us know how that call works out!!

Give me a holler next time you're coming down this way.

Back