270 WSM to 300 WSM?

chunks7mm

can i form 270 to 300WSM? i have some range brass that i would like to use...cant seem to get any 300WSM used brass anywheres

thanks in advance

Can you....yes. Should you....not so sure. Forming down is a much easier thing to say yes to...i.e. going from 300WSm to 270WSM. Problems creep in when you stretch out the neck wall and you run the risk of having a very low overall neck wall thickness. Going the other way you would have to worry about the neck wall being too thick and perhaps have to turn them down (an easier task to tackle).

I personally wouldn't do it as I am a bit of a chicken [beeep] but from a case dimension perspective it should be possible. I would just keep looking for 300WSM brass.

Originally Posted By: daman2270

"... and you run the risk of having a very low overall neck wall thickness."

tt2.gif
tt2.gif
tt2.gif
tt2.gif
tt2.gif

Pure meadow muffins !

Originally Posted By: chunks7mmcan i form 270 to 300WSM? i have some range brass that i would like to use...cant seem to get any 300WSM used brass anywheres

thanks in advance

yes, you can - just expand the neck - if the expander ball in your sizing die has a little taper, then just run the cases through it and they will expand and then get sized and ready to load in one swell foop!

If not, Redding, RCBS and some others have tapered expanders just for this purpose.

As to, "... and you run the risk of having a very low overall neck wall thickness." That is pure bullpoopie. Handloaders expand necks all the time.

As to "having a very low overall neck thickness." When you go from a .277 diameter to a .308 diameter, you thin the neck by less than 0.001"

Good for you CS ! HERO to the rescue, wonder why people get sick of your sarcastic know it all attitude. I said you can, but can't see why it would be worth and there are some risks/ things involved whether you think it is BS or not. Unlike you I don't assume to know everything. I have an opinion just like you. Others have their opinions, I don't crap on them cause they aren't like mine. Am I the most experience handloader out there...nope not even close....do I have all my fingers yep. State your opinion, keep your opinion of others comments to yourself. RANT OVER

I can't see how purchasing an expander die and going through the process, potentially crushing a should or two is worth not looking or waiting for more brass but have at er I guess.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daman2270Good for you CS ! HERO to the rescue, wonder why people get sick of your sarcastic know it all attitude. I said you can, but can't see why it would be worth and there are some risks/ things involved whether you think it is BS or not. Unlike you I don't assume to know everything. I have an opinion just like you. Others have their opinions, I don't crap on them cause they aren't like mine. Am I the most experience handloader out there...nope not even close....do I have all my fingers yep. State your opinion, keep your opinion of others comments to yourself. RANT OVER

I can't see how purchasing an expander die and going through the process, potentially crushing a should or two is worth not looking or waiting for more brass but have at er I guess.

Your opinion is based on knowing nothing about the subject. You give advice on something you know nothing about - what do you want, a bunch of roses in return.

BS gets real old, real fast - much faster than my piss-poor attitude.

Tell me something - seriously... why do you give advice about something that you have no knowledge about. Necking up cases is a very common technique, and you are telling him that he is going to ruin his necks - why would you do that??

Just an observation but the shoulder on the 270 WSM is .020" farther forward than the 300 WSM. For those of us who actually have worked with WSM brass...thats a pretty good bump. It can be done, I ll hook ya up with some to try.

Last edited:
when i was in high school i was low on money but could always find 30-06 brass at the range. i shot a 270. i ran '06 brass through a sizing die and voila, 270 brass. the overall length was a little short, but not enough to matter. i still have that brass 25 years later.

i agree with cat, if you dont have knowledge of what you are talking about, keep quiet.

i had 10 270 WSM brass that i just tried and let me tell you,my reloading table was creaking bad...dont know if i trust them or not...they look like they should,but still skeptical for sure

i lubed the sh*t out of the necks and inside of the necks to,but effort was more then i thought it would be,all remington brass

Originally Posted By: chunks7mmi had 10 270 WSM brass that i just tried and let me tell you,my reloading table was creaking bad...dont know if i trust them or not...they look like they should,but still skeptical for sure

i lubed the sh*t out of the necks and inside of the necks to,but effort was more then i thought it would be,all remington brass
I rest my case...I do know what of I speak

The pieces of brass in front of me say this isn't correct but hey...consult the resident expert. And your loading bench? A simple neck up/down won't rip the press from the bench.

Measure fired brass from base to shoulder.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hunter GathererThe pieces of brass in front of me say this isn't correct but hey...consult the resident expert. And your loading bench? A simple neck up/down won't rip the press from the bench. good point,didnt rip it from the bench,but was complaining a bit,LOL

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: daman2270Good for you CS ! HERO to the rescue, wonder why people get sick of your sarcastic know it all attitude. I said you can, but can't see why it would be worth and there are some risks/ things involved whether you think it is BS or not. Unlike you I don't assume to know everything. I have an opinion just like you. Others have their opinions, I don't crap on them cause they aren't like mine. Am I the most experience handloader out there...nope not even close....do I have all my fingers yep. State your opinion, keep your opinion of others comments to yourself. RANT OVER

Your opinion is based on knowing nothing about the subject. You give advice on something you know nothing about - what do you want, a bunch of roses in return.

BS gets real old, real fast - much faster than my piss-poor attitude.

Tell me something - seriously... why do you give advice about something that you have no knowledge about. Necking up cases is a very common technique, and you are telling him that he is going to ruin his necks - why would you do that??

And Daman, Welcome to Predator Masters.
lol.gif

Back