suppressor point of impact change

yoteblaster

Ok, its cold here like -3. Will a suppressor cause a point of impact from the first shot to the third. My groups are a little bigger and seem to shrink after a couple of shots. Will my suppressor cause this.

There is much debate on cold bore shots(with and without a suppressor). Track it and see if it happens every time, that will tell you if its the gun or you.

Depends on the suppressor. I have seen some that do and some that don't. Some got better with more rounds through them. Some did not.

There are some makers that specifically addressed this issue when they designed their precision cans for competitive shooting where every shot has to go in the same hole.

Others are more concerned with nothing but Db reduction and making a buck.

That being said I don't know what your can is or even if you have explored all the possibilities that can influence the situation you have.

So your answer is YES suppressors can.

My good cans don't have a 1st round shift, so the question is for you to answer about YOUR suppressor.

Each gun I have put the Suppressor on has had to be re-zeroed but seems to shoot well once that is done and it is a Gemtech as well.FWIW. I have not had mine long enough to really explore it's tendencies completely but the two guns I have used it on most have not missed anything I have shot at on the first shot and that is from steel targets to fox,coyotes,raccoons. Give me about two more weeks of shooting all the above and I will get back to you.

I have zero POI change on my firearms with or without my TSW cans attached. They run the same zero with can or with thread protector. I do not run brakes on them with no can but imagine if I did that could change things.

Originally Posted By: yoteblasterIt's a Gemtech Trek

Ok, now were are getting somewhere. No way am I blasting Gemtech but I will tell you what I have found shooting many suppressors.

Remember we are talking first round shift to second round, third round, ect. All bullets going through same hole no flyers. As that is what the OP is asking about.

The worst offender that I have seen was a gemteck sandstorm.

Other suppressors on the same rifle under the same condition did not exhibit first round shift.

Shooting the suppressor hundreds of times (getting it dirty) has reduced the shift, however I feel it is a side effect of the design based on others experiences and will likely not totally go away.

I know this is not what you wanted to hear but I hope it helps you out. Hopefully as you shoot it more it will get better.

Remember you need to exhaust all other possibilities or potentials also before you say you are 100% sure its the suppressor. If you do not have another brand of suppressor get around some people with other brands and try theirs on your gun. See what they do compared to yours.

Last edited:
My suppressor has a significant POI shift between zeroed with and zeroed without. But once it is zeroed with, I just shoot it with the can on. If it is off, I re-zero. Of course a heavy object on the end of a skinny barrel will do that.

Back