Miss = educated coyote forever???

1toppy

I'm real new to this whole calling thing. I went out the other night and called in two coyotes. The first got within 80 yards and I don't know what happened but I missed with my 22-250. My buddy says those coyotes are educated and will never come into a call again. Is this true?

Originally Posted By: takYou should be able to call them in again. Use a diffrent sound and call from a different spot.

+1

About 15 years ago, I had my son and his buddy, both 12yo, out for a coyote hunt. I had one stop on the edge of a winter wheat field with 1" high wheat. I knew with a little more coaxing, I could get him to come, but the boys were getting really antsy, asking if they could shoot. Finally, I told them to shoot, and they missed. I watched him disappear through my binoculars and noticed he had a lot of red coloring in his hips.

About 3 weeks later, I was within 1/4 mile of there and as I set up I see a coyote standing there and, as soon as I start calling (with the same call I used previously), this coyote looks in my direction and then starts to run full speed, until he is out of sight. I watch him through the bino's and see lots of red in his hips. I'm convinced it's the same coyote the boy's shot at, and that he recognized my call and calling style.

A week later, I went back, used a howler, and killed him.

Same coyote, new call, worked well.

Thanks for the replies! My comment back to my buddy was "I guess since I educated him so bad by calling him in with the rabbit in distress call and missing he's never going to eat rabbits again so he'll probably starve and die??" His comment back was "You got me there". So I'm going to give it a week or so and do what you guys are suggesting. I think he'll be vulnerable again in the near future when his stomach is telling his brain what to do...

Back