Barnes TTSX in a 7mm08

I am trying to get a good all purpose load for my wife's 7-08, she is really wanting to try the 140gr barnes ttsx. So has anyone shot this bullet or any of the other barnes in this caliber? Her rifle is a weatherby vanguard and this is her primary deer/elk rifle.

I load 120 TSXs in mine right now. 44gr. R-15.

For many years I loaded 140gr Nosler Partitions over 46gr IMR 4350.

I haven't tried the 140gr TSXs.....

This bullet was the savior for my Win. Model 70 7mm-08. I was rapidly growing to despise this rifle. Every brand of ammo I tried in it was not good to horrible, until I tried Barnes Vor-TX factory ammo. This turned a rifle I was seriously considering trading off, at a loss, into a rifle I'm now pretty proud to own. Most common factory ammo, Remington, Fed. Prem. etc. only shot at best, 2 to 2 1/2 inch groups, the Barnes would float around and inch, sometimes less, sometimes just a tad more, but always very acceptable for a big game rifle. I now hand load this same bullet over 43.5 grains of RL-15 to very similar results, at significant savings. Needless to say, that little Barnes has a special place in my heart.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Roger Londonthat little Barnes has a special place in my heart.

Has a special place in his heart too......

C97EE5BC-9FD6-4A52-94B3-237F76BF4CCC-336-000002AEA685E925-1.jpg

08642653-891E-40C9-8017-010E4A2BCA38-1767-000002AF0AF7F99B.jpg

Quote: I load 120 TSXs in mine right now. Me too. Barnes recommends going a sbit lighter in weight than what would be used with a lead bullet...so I stepped down to the 120. I have only shot a couple of deer and an elk with the bullet. No complaints.

Last edited:
I'm loaded with them in 25-06 80gr and 30-06 150gr for deer/goat and elk respectively. First year with them, didn't pull the trigger on the 25 this season. No trophy's so they get to grow up another year. I hope to have a real report for the 30 after the 1st of december elk trip.

As far as shooting goes, they both have done well on paper. Much of what I read says they lighter weight works like a heavier lead/copper combo, so I loaded both lighter than I normally would (100 and 180) for their respective uses and am pushing the velocity very high.

My buddy is now swearing by them. He loaded them for his africa hunt, recovered the bullet from his water buffalo. 416 rigby I believe and loaded hot, shot at 75 yards, broke both shoulders and the buffalo made it about 130 yards. Bullet almost but didn't quite make it out of the skin on the far side. Animal weighed as much as a small car. The bullet lost 1 gr in weight and looked like a catalog photo in the picture he showed me. Perfect mushroom to midpoint. Amazing what the bullet did and how well it stayed together when you know the animal it went through.

I was really wanting to see what the 80gr would do but it wasn't meant to be.

I agree, I wanted to shoot 180's out of my .300saum on a goat hunt but I decided to load up 168's instead. I am glad I did. My buddy and I both took goats with my rifle shooting the 168gr ttsx, I would not hesitate to use them on moose either.

004.jpg

For several years, I searched for a premium bullet that would penetrate well, maintain it's weight, and be accurate. That's a tall order.

I tried Partition bullets in a variety of calibers and got the first two of the three, with accuracy always lacking.

I tried Speer Grand Slams, which did pretty good, but again, lacked accuracy to meet my standards.

Then I decided to try Barnes bullets. First was the X bullet. It performed well in the two areas of penetration and weight retention, but accuracy suffered in my rifles.

When Barnes came out with the Triple Shock, I read a lot of reviews before giving it a try. I took an expensive chance on a box of 140 gr. TSX for my 7mm STW. BINGO. It shot great and has now become my favorite load for that cartridge. My son also loads the TSX in a .300 Rem Ultra Mag, with great accuracy, and I have used it in a .338 Win Mag too.

In Wyoming the TSX got it's trial run in both the STW and the Ultra Mag. A total of 12 animals (mule deer and antelope) were taken at ranges varying from 100 to 400 yards. Of the 12, 10 animals dropped on the spot and didn't take a step. The other two went perhaps 25 yards.

Now, I realize that both cartridges are way more than needed for antelope and mule deer (I've taken several antelope with a 25-06). But, the TSX is accurate, penetrates into tomorrow, and drops game with authority. It has become my bullet of choice for the 7mm STW, being a very flat-shooter, accurate and drops animals as if they were been poleaxed. There's been no tracking of wounded game.

As to damage from the bullet, I've had mixed results. Of course, antelope are thin-skinned, so I'm sure the damage is more pronounced on them than say, on an elk, especially with larger calibers like the 7mm STW and .300 Rem. Ultra Mag. If you hit an animal broadside through both lungs, most likely you will not get a lot of damage unless a rib goes through. If you hit the shoulder or gut shoot one, you may find a mess on the offside. I have never recovered a TSX bullet, however.

While they are a bit pricy, the TSX are good hunting bullets. I have never used the TTSX, but no doubt they are equally impressive. I have heard they expand a bit quicker, but that's only what I have read.

You will be using a 7mm08 and less powerful rifle, so the result will prove itself in the field where it matters most. You won't know for sure until you give them a try in your rifle.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Here is an example of a whitetail buck I shot with a .338 Win. Mag. and a 210 gr. TSX. The distance was probably 75 yards. The damage was less than I would expect from a 30-06. Entrance was hard to find, and exit was not bad - broadside lung shot. The deer dropped on the spot. Hit in a different area, the results could have been more dramatic. As a side note, the rife used was a Vangaurd Sub MOA.

Entrance side

Entrance-1.jpg

Exit side. This photo was "doctored" to remove the blood around the exit wound. The wound
itself was not touched. The blood was cleaned up so the exit wound could be seen better.
Nothing hidden here or manipulated to appear as something other than what it was.

ExitCleanedUp.jpg

Some 7mm STW animals with 140 gr. TSX

100_1627.jpg

100_1623.jpg

387 yard mule deer, dropped on the spot with the STW and 140 gr. TSX

100_1643.jpg

My son and his 360 yard antelope with 168 gr. TSX from a .300 Ultra Mag.

NelsonsAntelope5.jpg

VicFox from Australia and some animals he took on our Wyoming hunt, using the 7mm STW
and the TSX bullets

DSC01736.jpg

DSC01716.jpg

Here is a target I shot with the STW. The two rounds to the right, both top and bottom,
were shot first. I then adjusted the scope to the left a bit and shot two more shots, which
almost mirrored the first group. Total group size was 9/16".

STWTarget-1.jpg

Last, here is a video clip of our 2010 Wyoming hunt. The first antelope to drop in the video
and the mule deer were both shot with the TSX bullets, the antelope buck being at 360 yards
and the mule deer buck at 137 yards.

Sounds like I'm a salesman's for Barnes Bullets, doesn't it. Actually, I just found
a bullet that performs well for me, one that I really like and I'm sharing my
experiences.

Your results or that of others may vary.

I was a little suspicious of the original Barnes bullet largely because of concerns over expansion. I have become a believer in the TSX. I have a large stockpile of traditional lead jacketed 7mm bullets for my wife's 7-08 and my 7 r.m. so I have not yet switched in that caliber. I have begun using it in the 257 AI my middle son shoots. He killed a cow elk this year with it. 100 gr TSX in the chest did a great job. She never got out of her bed.

I will be moving to them in the future for my 7mm guns as I deplete my stock.

My buddy and i both took elk on the 2nd. I dont know what brand he is shooting but 180gr 300 winmag broadside into a calf at about 50 feet. It took ribs and lung, i recovered the bullet for him under the skin on the far side. It did the job and mushroomed nicely. Regular soft point from the look, knowing him it was probably a corelokt.

I took a cow, roughly twice the size of his at about 30 feet. 150gr ttsx in 30-06. It took shoulderblade, spine and ribs, exited unto parts unknown. Did very little meat damage in passing.

Not quite apples to apples, but similar ranges, similar calibers. The heavier bullet didnt do as much structural damage on a lighter target as the ttsx did on a heavier animal. I was really hoping to recover the bullet, but besides that dissapointment, i think i like it.

We're planning for another attempt in january, hopefully i'll have twice as much field data to report.

Back