Who feeds their dog red meat?

Phil, I ain't trying to argue with you and get under your skin. Just stating my thoughts. Hope I didn't rub you wrong. If I did, I appologize.

I am just glad to see a post actually go somewhere and actually have a good discussion go on.lol[/quote]

no offence taken from you or anyone, I to am glad to see a post actually go somewhere as well with a good discussion we all learn reguardless if we agree

So I guess ferral hogs carrie more transmitable parasites and diseases, and here I just tossed the pup a frozen pig Icicle? she loves them and they last all day and keep her off everyting else in the yard

so I had to do it and google dog meat, there is a whole list of stuff on the nutritional value as well as a online store puppybeef.com that claims to raise FREE RANGE DOGS sounds like a coyote, LOL

Redfrog I understand your point and would not let my dog shake a mangie coyote much less eat on one but then again none of the deer or other wild game I hunt and eat have had any vac, or hormons or other groth additives in their diet.

to me this is all fun and I know more now than I did two days ago about the nutrititional value of deer, beef, horse, and dog.

go figure not like i could have this confersation at the local star bucks or bar for that matter

i see the point about wild hogs. they are pretty nasty too.lol. i guess it just goes back to canabalism to me.

it prolly wouldnt make alot of difference, but when my dog was so sick he was puking coyote meat and fur. he was just sick to the point that i thought he may die. cost me alot of money at the vet. with the way parvo was spreading out there, it was just a matter of time before he could of caught it. either from another dog or from eating a coyote.

I have some thoughts on this topic. First off you can feed your dogs whatever ya want. As for diseases, anything that is not processed, you are taking a chance.I feed horse, beef, deer, elk, hog, the list goes on and on.I am willing to take that chance. I also vaccinate, regular, and worm every 21 days. As for feeding dogs dead yotes, after they are shinned???? If ya want to, and you have that much trouble paying your feed bill, make your own choice.
Feeding deer meet will not make dogs chase deer, feeding lion meat, will not make a better lion dog, feeding bear meat will not make a better bear dog.feeding a dog coyote meat, may or may not make the dog sick, but it will dam sure not make a better coyote dog. The whole theory is total "BS".
Don't beleive me?????????? Kill a deer, and smell it, then process the meat, and smell that. If they smell the same, you did somethin wrong.Most dogs will eat anything, once the hide is off, dogs don't know what kind of meat it is. I have never fed coyote meat to a dog, and my dogs work just fine for me, by the way,in 20 some years, I never had any trouble with Parvo, intertoxiemia, canine enchephilituos,mange, or any other disease.(my spelling may be off, but you get the point).
So feed what ya want, know the risk, and be willing to deal with the vet bills, vs. what ya saved in feed cost. But you dam sure ain't gonna make a better coyote dog, by feeding them the carcass of skinned yotes.

If that whole feeding coyote to dogs make them better coyote dogs is true.I'm going to feed mine a few 10 dollar bills and see if she can find me a bunch more.

Roode, that will work about as well as feedin them yote, cat, bear, or anything else for that matter. LET US KNOW HOW IT WORKS FOR YA.

"OK" BOYS!!!!!Lets get back on track, this is a family site.
Bparker, did you get a dog from me a few years ago???
The name is the same, but the location is diff.

Originally Posted By: Duane@ssuI have some thoughts on this topic. First off you can feed your dogs whatever ya want. As for diseases, anything that is not processed, you are taking a chance.I feed horse, beef, deer, elk, hog, the list goes on and on.I am willing to take that chance. I also vaccinate, regular, and worm every 21 days. As for feeding dogs dead yotes, after they are shinned???? If ya want to, and you have that much trouble paying your feed bill, make your own choice.
Feeding deer meet will not make dogs chase deer, feeding lion meat, will not make a better lion dog, feeding bear meat will not make a better bear dog.feeding a dog coyote meat, may or may not make the dog sick, but it will dam sure not make a better coyote dog. The whole theory is total "BS".
Don't beleive me?????????? Kill a deer, and smell it, then process the meat, and smell that. If they smell the same, you did somethin wrong.Most dogs will eat anything, once the hide is off, dogs don't know what kind of meat it is. I have never fed coyote meat to a dog, and my dogs work just fine for me, by the way,in 20 some years, I never had any trouble with Parvo, intertoxiemia, canine enchephilituos,mange, or any other disease.(my spelling may be off, but you get the point).
So feed what ya want, know the risk, and be willing to deal with the vet bills, vs. what ya saved in feed cost. But you dam sure ain't gonna make a better coyote dog, by feeding them the carcass of skinned yotes.

I agree
Just because a person breeds dogs does not mean you should buy one from them. Visit the kennel. Is it someplace you'd keep your dog. If the breeder doesn't want you at his place, there's a reason.

Google is our friend and literally a world of information is at your fingertips. check out diseases like parvo and distemper. see how contagious they are. You may get lucky and spend a ton of money at the vet to keep a diseased puppy alive, but it will never be a hundred percent. It may be fine as a pet but as a hard charging hunting dog , he will pay the price for the disease later in life when you have had him for several years. Believe me it is easier to put a pup down than a hunting partner of many years.

As Duane said there is a risk in anything you feed, but feeding canines to canines only makes the risks greater since the same parasites and diseases are common to both.

Get a vaccination program and a parasite control program in place and both you and your dog will be better for it.

Use your head not your heart when buying a puppy. Ask the hard questions and if the breeder tries to avoid them or steer you in a different direction, walk away from the deal.

Originally Posted By: RedfrogMy dogs do very well on a straight meat diet.

Sometimes when people think they are seeing good results, they are good for a time, but the initial benefit may hide a nutritional deficit that takes years to show the damage, and once the liver, kidneys, or other organs are damaged because they didn't get what they needed all along it's irreversible. There are multiple single vitamins and minerals that a dog will develop organ damage from not having access to in their diets.

I had a bird food company that was one of the first pioneers in complete pelleted diets for birds (it still exists). Dog and cat food had been around a lot longer but continually gets better as more research is done on what dogs really need. Dog food manufacturers run into problems with a feed seeming to be great but problems may show up as statistics on dogs over decades can be assessed and analyzed, adjustments to diets constantly get made to commercial formulations.

The benefits of feeding meat comes from the fact that many dog foods have grain fillers, lots of dogs develop allergies to wheat, corn, soy, and other things. Rice tends to be an allergy neutral grain for most animals so it's used in non allergen specialty diets.

There is quite a movement toward making dog food out of meat, it needs to be cooked and grain like rice and vitamins and nutrients added. The problem with this is that the vitamins and nutrients bought as human products will cost you hundreds of dollars and gets into titration issues, or problems getting the micro amount needed because it's in parts per million.

When people start feeding meat they may often see immediate results that indicate a healthier dog, but damage is being done that will cause organ damage, not may be done, is being done. This problem is way worse in breeding dogs, a female that has a litter without the proper nutrients for the puppies growth is going to have puppies that aren't nearly as sound as they would be with proper nutrition, and the mother will decline from litter to litter and the litters will get smaller and the dogs punier. I know people will argue with this, but it's best for a breeder to go a couple of years in between litters. The third or fourth litters will be healthier.

You can say "I've been doing this for however long and my dogs look great". But they will not live as many years and they will have problems they wouldn't have had they had proper nutrition.

Raw game meat, no way. Again maybe you've been getting away with it for decades, but that doesn't mean you will always get away with it.

When I saw how big the idea of making food with better ingredients has become I got the idea a few years ago of creating a complete supplement pre mix for people who want to make batches of healthy food for their dogs, I'm sure there are products available now. People can use any type of meat and we'll do the nutritional breakdown of how much rice or grain and vitamin mix to add per pound.

The advantage we have is that expensive human vitamins are way way cheaper bought in bulk. We get the vitamin mix for our bird food made in thousand pound batches that gets added so many pounds per 40 tons of the pellet mix at a time before it's extruded. We can have an excellent specialty mix of everything needed by a dog that is right for when it's a growing pup, when it's grown, and for breeding females. Buying in bulk it costs a fraction of what it takes to assemble all the human vitamins and minerals. The research correlation involved in studying every research project done on every single ingredient takes a lot of time, my wife has been going to the University library going through research papers for four years now as she's got time and is close to being done.

We are looking to make it to where people can feed their dogs a really healthy diet that they make themselves with quality ingredients. Dog food companies can't afford to use the quality of meat and grains that people are willing to do if they could have the supplements right.

there's some people that believe what they want to believe, and others that are willing to hear what someone says when it's based of reality. I hope this is heard by people who look into it further and have healthier dogs because they heard it.

I agree
Just because a person breeds dogs does not mean you should buy one from them. Visit the kennel. Is it someplace you'd keep your dog. If the breeder doesn't want you at his place, there's a reason.

Google is our friend and literally a world of information is at your fingertips

redfrog, you are right, google is a good tool but i have seen posts on this website pulled because somebody was giving stairt up info that was against one of the sponsers, i have seen it more then once about different sponsers, hard for guys to look up and get truthful info if the posts get pulled, just saying.

the last post i saw warning people was took off in 5 minutes. i bet 5 people didnt get warned!!! this should be changed asap!!!!

giving people a heads up is hard when people who have been bent over and breech loaded cant speak up!

Back