spinning wing decoys

yotehunter57

Who here uses them, and are they worth the hassel, and have the ducks learned what they are?

i have one me and my son used 10 or 12 years ago. I used it because I am not a duck caller, but wanted my son to have a chance at some ducks.
I haven't duck hunted since then and wondered if the ducks were educated to them.
Now it'll mainly be just me, and maybe a couple of friends occassionaly.

I'm not looking to slaughter the ducks, just maybe kill a couple for some dressing.

Shayne

I just try to read what the birds want. Yes some have learned to avoid them when hunting water, but they work great field hunting. I will usually put at least 1 out, and see how the ducks react. This year it worked great, last year i hardly used one.

I don't hunt without one. They work great on days where the sun shines in the woods or in fields. I have had ducks land on top of the "robo ducks". You can call too much when you have a robo duck running. On still days I prefer the swimming robo ducks as well if not better than the spinning wing elevated robo duck.

I agree, we mostly field hunt and the ducks are drawn like a magnet to those things. This year we started running two and it was even better.

The only drawback we have seen is that when calling in geese they tend to flare of the set if the spinners are running. I guess that is the down fall of trying to hunt ducks and geese with the same set but we bag our share. Actually, the first day we put out two of the spinners in our set we had to go home early as we ran out of shells...that was a first...a frustrating and great day at the same time.

We usually run atleast 4 and up to 7 or 8 when we are field hunting. When hunting water we will usually stick with 3-4 and use some jerk cords and splashers.

I guess I'll try it and see if it makes much difference.

Hopefully they will start flying better. I went Wednesday morning and there was nothing flying after shooting hours.
There was around 200 ducks on the field ( 20 acres flooded) Around half and half, between Mallards and Shovelers.

They swam and fed, with the Shovelers occassionaly getting close to the blind, and with the Mallards avoiding the end with the blind like a plauge.

The field is a square 40 acres, with the only cover being 3 trees in the SW corner. The West end is the low end, so we put the blind by the trees, but the ducks stay on the North end for the most part.
After the rain a few days ago, the field is half flooded, so I started letting some water off yeterday. If I can get it down to the West 1/4 of the field maybe it'll help some.

I also found a place on the North side where I may be abe to lay on the levee in my ghillie suit and be closer to where the ducks want to be.
Other than the 3 trees, the rest of the levee (wide enough to drive on) is mainly Bermuda grass, between 4 and 6 inches tall. Not much to hide in.

Shayne

Back