Making coon bait

swift one

Our bigger lines in our trapping season consist of coon. Me and my trapping buddies are big fans of the DP traps and of course pocket sets near and in the water.

With the amount of bait that we use, we have been experimenting with making out own bait. The basic stanbys of course with the DP traps have been marshmallows and maple syrup, dog food mixed with sardines and things along those lines.

We really want to get into some paste style baits for the DPs. Through research in making paste baits, I have found that Lanolin is used quite a bit as a base- then add whatever oils and scents you want. However, at around 12-14 dollars a pint along with the price of oil, I though this would not be cost effective when you cna buy pre made paste baits for around the same price.

At the store yesterday, I came across Crisco and a light buld turned on in my head at possibly using this as a base.

Would this work in place of lanolin? Has anyone here tried it? has it worked?

I picked up some Laughing Lady coon paste bait from Dakota Line products and it looks pretty much like Lanolin with a sweet berry oil mixed in with it. Looks to be prettyneasy to make as long as I can get a base that is goijg to be more cost effective than commercial bait.

Last edited:
Never used dp traps but you why why couldn't you make a simple dough and add whatever kind of scents or flavors to it. There are plenty of oils and whatnots on the market today that you could make your own flavor or scent with. Just my thoughts

Originally Posted By: swift oneOur bigger lines in our trapping season consist of coon. Me and my trapping buddies are big fans of the DP traps and of course pocket sets near and in the water.

With the amount of bait that we use, we have been experimenting with making out own bait. The basic stanbys of course with the DP traps have been marshmallows and maple syrup, dog food mixed with sardines and things along those lines.

We really want to get into some paste style baits for the DPs. Through research in making paste baits, I have found that Lanolin is used quite a bit as a base- then add whatever oils and scents you want. However, at around 12-14 dollars a pint along with the price of oil, I though this would not be cost effective when you cna buy pre made paste baits for around the same price.

At the store yesterday, I came across Crisco and a light buld turned on in my head at possibly using this as a base.

Would this work in place of lanolin? Has anyone here tried it? has it worked?

I picked up some Laughing Lady coon paste bait from Dakota Line products and it looks pretty much like Lanolin with a sweet berry oil mixed in with it. Looks to be prettyneasy to make as long as I can get a base that is goijg to be more cost effective than commercial bait.

We have had good luck blending Jack Mack in with marshmallows to a paste. Sometimes add a little glycerine to get the right consistency. However, I dont use paste that much with the Dp traps, It seems to gunk them up faster. I use fish feed pellets with a squirt of fish oil normally. But the marshmallow fish paste works great in pockets.

Bryan

Here in Florida we have something called Menhaden oil. Menhaden is a small baitfish and you can buy the oil at the larger tackle stores. It smells just like sardine sauce to me but its more concentrated. I mix it with oats and chum with it. BUT for raccoons, I mix it with cheap bread and mush it up. They cant say "NO"!! Menhaden oil is pretty cheap and it goes a long long way.. I think I paid $15 for a gallon 4 years ago. Still have some left!

Back