Who feeds their dog red meat?

Jesse, i want trying to imply you were wrong.lol. My post was merely saying that they get deer scraps when i clean them. They stay fit on their feed, but they sure do love eating a shot up front shoulder.haha. I also give them any trimmings when i am boning and making steaks.

No harm no foul. I didnt take it as you saying i was wrong. Just making it known that there is a difference between fat and healthy. I feed my dogs deer also when i am cleaning one. all the scraps i have go to them. But its just a bonus. Its really not doing anything extra for them, but trimming down my feed bill.

If I can trim down the feed bill, and the dogs are still heathy that to me is perfect.
Those that been to my house have seen what my dogs look like, and have hunted over them.I have no shame in feeding whatever meat I can, so long as it is not from sick animals.

Just cleaned another deer. dogs are bloated and sunning now.haha. i hope Nuts wants to work this evening with a full stomach because we are going to a honey hole!!!

I don't see how it could give them more hunt, but I don't know. I want to get a dog but I haven't had any luck finding a good one that's for sale.

well it is common to train blood tracking/trailing dogs with deer blood and Liver , if the prize at the end is some tender liver, backstraps or hinds then its a prize and reward that will continue their prey drive, reguardless if its hog,deer or coyote, if she will eat it and enjoys it then that has to be better than find it but don't you eat it!

It is not uncommon for professional trackers to tell a hunter in advance that the tracking dog gets to eat anything they wants first from the shoulder mount down and do not try and interrupt them.
whats the difference between a few shakes and a tast? both are a reward for positive behavior and Instant gratification

just my thoughts

Last edited:
I will stick to letting mine tear up a tail at the end of a trail.

Biting one and eating one is totally different to me. I dont mind Nuts wooling one around after a kill, and he loves it!! But there are way too many parasites there for me to let him eat it. Just take a look at my last vet bill!!!!

Coyotes can carry the same nasty viruses and parasites that kill dogs and they dont get vaccinated very often, unless I get them in the scope!

As long as my dog stays satisfied with a tail, he will get no more than a tail or wooling at the end of a hunt.

I am in no way calling myself a dog trainer, please don't get me wrong. But to me it is kind of against my morals to do that. Canabalism to me is wrong.

I mean, I will beat the [beeep] out of a guy and even bite him if I need to, but I will not eat him when I am done.

I have killed coyotes and left them in fields and come back a week later and not even the buzzards have ate them.

Biting one and eating one is totally different to me. I dont mind Nuts wooling one around after a kill, and he loves it!! But there are way too many parasites there for me to let him eat it. Just take a look at my last vet bill!!!!

Did you feed him coyote and make him sick?

Dont get me wrong I'm not about to 1/4 one up to save on the food bill LOL,

but if I skin one out and she wants to nibble a little on the hams I'm ok with it I think she may be in as much danger of contracting the same dieses that can be transmitted by the fleas from shaking said coyote as from eating its meat? isn’t that how the plague spread?

now the Canabalism thing is something else, I once shot a ferral dog I found eating another road kill dog, thinking you sick baztard eating your buddy, then I thought

well it is a dog eat dog world and my belive wont change a thing about it.

I did do a googel on venison/beef and from a human stand point Venison is higher in Iron, and B vit lower in saturated fats and higher in protiens dont' know how that helps a dog? but seems to be better for humans

Well, I guess if a dog is hungry enough it will eat anything.lol. I just can't see doing it. May not ever get sick from it, but I just dont want to find out.

Like I said earlier, I have killed coyotes and come back a week later and nothing has eatin them. That just tells me that they are nasty creatures.

When it comes to deer meat, it may not benefit them at all but they love it and it seems to keep them fat and their coats shiny. And when they are fat and happy, i am fat and happy.haha

Phil, I ain't trying to argue with you and get under your skin. Just stating my thoughts. Hope I didn't rub you wrong. If I did, I appologize.

I am just glad to see a post actually go somewhere and actually have a good discussion go on.lol

With coyotes being related to dogs, they carry the same diseases and parasites both external and internal that other canines do. In addition they are never wormed or vaccinated. Why expose your dogs to that risk?

Back