problems with reflex sight

jrcampbell

I have a cheap reflex sight that has four different reticles in red and green. recently the red quit working. Anyone have similar trouble, and have a fix? besides getting a new one. I have another but like the different reticles.

Quote:I have a cheap reflex sight....Not to be downgrading anyone else on their equipment, but I've always found that you only get what you pay for in most cases...

Usually, the cost of repair will exceed the cost of replacement...I have two Halo/reflex sights that I paid more that $200 for several years ago and they are still going strong after a bunch of recoil 'abuse' on high power semi-auto handguns and the other is a less expensive BSA that, while I use it frequently, it wouldn't pay for me to repair it if it dies on me...

If you have the company address/e-mail contact info, you might send them a message as they just might tell you to send it in for repair or replacement...Some companies are like that, even on the less expensive optics, just for customer good will...

Quote:....Not to be downgrading anyone else on their equipment, but I've always found that you only get what you pay for in most cases...

Where have I heard that before
grin.gif
OP when it comes to optics and especially optics with integrated electronics if you try to go cheap are just setting yourself up for disappointmet, headaches, and lost hunting opportunities.

For a measly $400 you can get an excellent Aimpoint pro red dot sight with mount. 30,000 hour battery life, combat tested, over a half million in service with the U.S, military. You just can't go wrong. Gotta go big or go home buddy. I look at it this way. Mr. Coyote doesn't want you to buy an Aimpoint Pro. He would prefer you choose an NC Star.
wink.gif

Last edited:
neither was an answer to the question. most of us can't afford to drop 400 on a red dot. If we all went by that most of us would be sitting on the couch saving up for expensive stuff instead of starting with what we can afford and working up to nice equipment. I'm perfectly aware of how good an aimpoint is and how crappy my no name red dot is, I bought it and an nc star for around 60 bucks just to see if id like them, as I had never used or even looked through a red dot before. eventually I will get a higher grade reflex sight, but that is a long way off.

It most certainly was an answer to your question. Both post were straight up no B.S. permanent solutions to your issue. Of course you are going to have problems in the field when you buy the cheapest chinese made red dot sights on the market. You can't fix them because they are garbage. Sooner or later (Usually sooner) they will all fail. NC Star optics are junk. I would much rather rely on iron sights than an NC Star product. Im not trying to be mean. Im not trying to hurt your feelings. I am just stating facts. It's a fairly cheap lesson just learn from it and move forward.

Last edited:
Quote:neither was an answer to the question....I realize that my response didn't answer your question and within my limited scope on optics, I'm not sure there is a repair that an owner can perform...

My point being that even if you can find someone that has the ability, you might be better off to plan on replacing the item due to the cost of shipping and repair...

If there is a talk forum for whatever brand you have, you might want to do a little searching for it and maybe one of the posters will have an answer...It's just not something that most of us would get into...

I've been where you are financially and have learned over the years that when dealing with electronics type items, you are much better off to wait and buy something that has a good reputation and/or warranty...very few do...

thanks old turtle I liked that response. Like I said I am aware what I have is junk, I don't even know what brand it is! After patterning my shotgun I needed one bad, it was shooting approx. 2 ft right @ 50 yds.( maybe I should sit @ home til I can afford a $800 plus shotgun as well?) Right now a $200 reflex sight is not an option at all, too many other things I need, not want. it is usable with just the green reticle, just a little harder to keep focus on the eyes. I don't really like the red dot scopes either. Plus I'd rather be hunting with a piece of crap than sitting on the couch with my thumb You know where.

Originally Posted By: jrcampbell maybe I should sit @ home til I can afford a $800 plus shotgun as well?

No, no, no. Nobody wants you doing that!

Here's what you need and at a super price. It shoots where ya point it and patterns several loads very well. You can sell your crooked barreled shotgun and red dot, buy mine with TWO barrels and have money left over. Don't say I never done nuttin for ya.
smile.gif

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...9373&page=1

I just want the long barrel, will fit great on my crooked mossy 500! Ive been drooling over that since you posted it. They don't like tuna, make it a years supply of gluten free mac n cheese and we'll talk. Can't sell it, was given to me by my dad. all the guns he gave my brothers and I were on the condition that we pass them down.

Last edited:
JR,,,I wish I were still in MO...I'd send you my 42mm BSA red dot...I realize it has a 4 MoA dot but the visibility is great and that size dot will work for a shotgun...Unfortunately, I'll be in FL until May and that won't do you much good..

old turtle, is it a reflex or scope type? I may be biased because the only red dot scopes i've looked through were on pistols, and I did not like them one bit. I like the reflex I have especially the circle/dot combo reticle. in the middle, and most ive seen don't have that. A bigger dot may help, although I've never used the dot at night just the circle. for now I'll just keep taking my chances with it or the nc star.

Originally Posted By: jrcampbellOh, a measly 400 dollars buys a lot of groceries and clothes for my kids too.

Hey man if things are that tight I would sell the shotguns and get a part time job. I have had to do it so I understand. If I was a golfer and had time and money to golf but all I had was a bent club and ping pong balls I would get something more appropriate for the task at hand. That's all Im saying.

The problem is, you jump from one extreme, to another. There are certainly serviceable Red Dots available under the $400 and even $200 price tag that will work, well.

Burris FastFire II for $209

Vortex Strike Fire for $169

Bushnell FirstStrike for $139

And at the lower end, but I still think serviceable are

TrueGlo Gobbler Stopper for $75
And
Bushnell Trophy Tube red dot for $70

Originally Posted By: pahntr760The problem is, you jump from one extreme, to another. There are certainly serviceable Red Dots available under the $400 and even $200 price tag that will work, well.

Burris FastFire II for $209

Vortex Strike Fire for $169

Bushnell FirstStrike for $139

And at the lower end, but I still think serviceable are

TrueGlo Gobbler Stopper for $75
And
Bushnell Trophy Tube red dot for $70

I certainly agree with you. Many of those listed are certainly adequate for the task. However I usually think in terms of biting the bullet up front a single time for an optic that will outlast me rather than purchase and replace several optics over my lifetime.

Last edited:
Quote:eek:ld turtle, is it a reflex or scope type?,,,It's very similar to THIS one,,,42mm from front to back and only about 3-3.5" long...The cost isn't that high, but from my experience, it's been really reliable and sturdy...

Originally Posted By: mj36639Originally Posted By: jrcampbellOh, a measly 400 dollars buys a lot of groceries and clothes for my kids too.

Hey man if things are that tight I would sell the shotguns and get a part time job. I have had to do it so I understand. If I was a golfer and had time and money to golf but all I had was a bent club and ping pong balls I would get something more appropriate for the task at hand. That's all Im saying.
wow, u must make a whole lot more than I do. things aren't tight, just too many pans in the fire right now. And if you read my other post, you'll see that a stated I can't sell the gun, dad would whoop me. Frankly, I picked the two red dots up on here for cheap because I needed one and they were cheap, so I bought two to see which I would like. I have my sights set on a meprolight because it has the reticles I'm looking for.
Some of us are perfectly willing to use the equipment we can afford at the time and are perfectly aware of the limitations that may be put on us by such equipment. we will make do until we can get better stuff. It's obnoxious and discouraging to read a post from someone who says they have x amount of dollars, which scope, or caller, etc. should I get, only to have a bunch of guys say whoa wait til You can afford one two or three times as much. NO! That's what they can afford to spend now, and they wanna hunt now, not in a few months or longer. A lot of us started out hunting with what our parents can afford and worked up to nicer stuff, some of us still have to.
So lets stick to the topic at hand. If I wanted opinions on what red dot to get I would have asked.

Last edited by a moderator:
can you get the shotgun fitted to you? that might change the poi.
i have been pretty lucky that stock stocks seem to fit me fairly well, but maybe that would help. idk? i like my shotguns set up like shotguns. except my slug gun. btw, i have shot apart a couple bsa tube type red dots a 42mm and a 30mm shooting turkey loads and slugs. plus had power issues in the cold during deer season. went to a 1x4x32 shot gun scope on slug barrel, and no optic during turkey season. never took a shot at a turkey with the rds that i couldn't have made without it. and weather dont bother my bead sight. jme

Back