.223 loading

.357 Hunter

Gonna start loading for my .223 here shortly....Savage sporter model 22'' barrel 1-9 twist.....I'm thinkin a 50gr bullet should be good for yotes out to 250-300yds....I'm condidering the V-max , Ballistic Tip , But think a good hollow point would be better for penitration like a speer TNT ...I can shoot a 50gr at 3500fps with CFE 223 powder.....ust lookin for some imput....how are the 50's performing in the feild as far as knock down....or should I look to a 55 gr at like 3350fps...?

Both kill coyotes. What matters is how they shoot in your rifle. Bullet placement is key. Stay away from bone and sharpe angled shots.

The 50's in VMax/Ballistic tip/Spitzer/Blitzking/Hollow point are all suitable for the job. 55's thru 69 will also work well. Just the find the bullet/powder load that your gun likes and you will not regret it.

Tom

357:

Try the Speer 52 gr. HP in your .223; excellent re accuracy and expansion. About $19 for a box of 100...used to be cheaper. Sierras HPs in all weights are great as well....

If you think that a TNT has "better" penetration than ANY of the tipped bullets, you aren't paying attention....
TNT's(non-green) have about the lowest RPM limit of any available bullet. The Sierra's have about the highest.

I hope you can actually get 3,500 fps out of your 22" 1x9 twist Savage with 50's, but I couldn't do it. Same barrel and twist at 28.5gr would only give me 3,200 fps. Even with a model 12 with 26" barrel I could only get 3,460 fps with 50's. CFE 223 on the other hand gives me great velocity and accuracy in the 22-250. Just my results, your may vary, good luck.

Last edited:
I am getting 3440fps. out of Remington SPS Varmint with a 1 and 12" 26" barrel. Load is : 25.5grs. of Benchmark, 50gr. V-max and a CCI400 primer.

Back