A question for you long range shooters

EasternPredHunter

If I were to build a....i hesitate to say sniper...so we will just say long range rig, what action would you choose? The two actions I am looking at is remmy 700 or savage.

Thanks

ford or chevy pretty much, for me, a rem gets the nod only because of a greater availabilily of new and used aftermarket parts.

Remington is you want to hire a gunsmith or Savage for the do-it-yourself guy. If you feel confident in your mechanical abilities the Savage is a good choice.

I would build on a Stiller tac 30 but that is not what you asked. If I were choosing between the two I would build on a remington 700. Let me clarify my thoughts.... If you are just looking to screw a new barrel into an existing action, open up the barrel channel to accept that barrel and rework the factory trigger, then build it on whatever rifle you have in the safe. If you are going full blown with a trued action, custom barrel, new stock, trigger and scope rail then go remington. I think it would hold the value if you decided to sell it down the road better than the savage. There are also a gazillion remington 700 after market parts out there. My 2 cents for what it is worth.

Originally Posted By: EasternPredHunterIf I were to build a....i hesitate to say sniper...so we will just say long range rig, what action would you choose? The two actions I am looking at is remmy 700 or savage.

Thanks ,
Sniper rifle....really? You watch too much tv.

Long range shooting rifle...depends on your budget.

Surgeon!

IMG_4929.jpg

IMG_4930.jpg

IMG_4931.jpg

Originally Posted By: Hunter GathererOriginally Posted By: EasternPredHunterIf I were to build a....i hesitate to say sniper...so we will just say long range rig, what action would you choose? The two actions I am looking at is remmy 700 or savage.

Thanks ,
Sniper rifle....really? You watch too much tv.

Long range shooting rifle...depends on your budget.

Read. I am calling it a LONG RANGE RIG. I said, I hesitate to say sniper because I get reactions from people like you. I specifically worded the sentence to clarify any doubt about my intentions.

Back on topic. I see where each has their benefits. It seems like you cant really go wrong with either. I would like to do most of the work myself to keep costs down. The smiths around here are pretty stiff on prices.

I had a topic sort of similar to this awhile back, except I discussed calibers more so than composition. So I should state that I'm looking to build a 300 win mag.

Bob L. Swagger--
Those rifles are true pieces of art!!!

Thanks, more info and pics are appreciated!

Last edited:
700 if you want the rifle to feel like a real rifle and look equally as well.

If you want a rifle that makes buncha noise when you shake it and is ugly as sin then go with the savage

Can't go wrong with either
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: EasternPredHunterIf I were to build a....i hesitate to say sniper...so we will just say long range rig, what action would you choose? The two actions I am looking at is remmy 700 or savage.

Thanks

How about "Practical field match" rifle...

I built two - one a 308, he other a 300-WM - both on Rem 40XB actions.

The 308 shot this group with shots #36, #37, and #38. at 405 yards. The 300 WM is almost as good.

M24Rifle046inchgroup-300.jpg

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: EasternPredHunterIf I were to build a....i hesitate to say sniper...so we will just say long range rig, what action would you choose? The two actions I am looking at is remmy 700 or savage.

Thanks

The 308 shot this group with shots #36, #37, and #38. at 405 yards. The 300 WM is almost as good.

M24Rifle046inchgroup-300.jpg

Practical field match sounds about right. If you dont mind my asking, would you be willing to tell your setup on the 300 win mag? Thanks

The answer to your question can be as simple or complex as you want.

For the simple answer, based on the small amount of information you provided, I would say pick whichever one you like best because both, if built properly, will shoot, for all intensive purposes, as well as the other.

If you already have one or the other I would build off of it.

If you are looking at buying one or the other as a donor to only use the action you will be better off going with a custom action and build it from the ground up because when it's all said and done you will only have a few hundred dollars more in a full blown custom that will hold a much higher resale value.

If you have your mind set on using a factory action and you aren't using one you already have I would use a Rem M700. Just about all smiths will build off a Rem 700 but not all smiths will build off other factory actions.

I had and older gunsmith once say to me "we can make this as simple or complex as you want. It all depends on how much you wanna to spend."

Originally Posted By: EasternPredHunterOriginally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: EasternPredHunterIf I were to build a....i hesitate to say sniper...so we will just say long range rig, what action would you choose? The two actions I am looking at is remmy 700 or savage.

Thanks

Practical field match sounds about right. If you don't mind my asking, would you be willing to tell your setup on the 300 win mag? Thanks

They were both built on Remington 40XB actions. The 300-WM is on a single shot action, the 308 is a 5 shot repeater.

They are the two rifles on the bottom.

Insidethedoor-640.jpg

The stocks are H-S M-24 standard military stocks with "Sand & Spinach" paint jobs, and adjustable LOP.

Bedded in Brownell's "Steel Bed". The bedding covers the lug and action, but does not touch the barrel.

Triggers are Rem 1.5 pound 40x's, that have been stripped, polished, and overhauled.

Scopes are a Leupolds... a M3-LR on the 308, and a MK4-M3 on the 300-WM. Loads are carefully matched to the ranging cams, so the rifles hit to point of aim to past 1,000 yds.

The barrel on the 300-WM is a 12 groove match made by OGK...

... ("Only God Knows" but I got a such a good deal), but it is excellent.

The barrel on the 308 is a Kreiger... one of my current favorite barrel peoples.

They were both built for stability, without any "finickiness" or "personality problems". You pick them up any day, and any weather, and they hit where they did last time.

I did all the work, except the paint jobs - those were factory H-S paint, and my favorite paint patterns.

There are alot of aftermarket for savage action also. I have both built and I like both equally. I would go savage for the fact that you can have someone true your reciever for you or buy a jig and do it yourself. The rest of the rifle goes together easy. You don't need to finish chamber your barrel. I also like that if you decide you don't want to win mag for about 50 bucks you can change the bolt head out and run a 6.5-284 or what ever long range round wogh another 10 min barrel change. I'm gonna get my 7-08 put together then start on a savage in 308 Norma mag just so it's not the same as a 300 win. Maybe even a 7STW

Originally Posted By: nastynatesfishThere are alot of aftermarket for savage action also. I have both built and I like both equally. I would go savage for the fact that you can have someone true your reciever for you or buy a jig and do it yourself. The rest of the rifle goes together easy. You don't need to finish chamber your barrel. I also like that if you decide you don't want to win mag for about 50 bucks you can change the bolt head out and run a 6.5-284 or what ever long range round wogh another 10 min barrel change. I'm gonna get my 7-08 put together then start on a savage in 308 Norma mag just so it's not the same as a 300 win. Maybe even a 7STW

If you get a good receiver, it does not have to be trued.

"Action Truing" is very over rated (but it has paid for a lot of gunsmith's kids braces).

I prefer Remington 700's and Winchester M-70 actions, cuz Savage actions are uoogly!!

Just as an alternative, here is one that I picked up from another member on this board.....308 caliber...Loves 168 gr. BTHPs...

004.jpg

Styer-Mauser action, blue printed and pillar bedded, with a Parker-Hale M2 Sniper (their designation, not mine) and a lightened Timney trigger that breaks at ounces instead of pounds...Safety had been reconfigured to work with a scope installed...Stock is a Boyd's laminate...Weighs slightly more than I want to carry very far, but very stable in the bags or on a bipod....Mauser actions are still regarded as one of the stronger ones designed...

Originally Posted By: CatShooter
"Action Truing" is very over rated (but it has paid for a lot of gunsmith's kids braces.
Savage actions are uoogly!!
I agree with the 1st line...but not w/the second.
All my own rigs I own/build are on the Savage actions.
No need for a smith and the ease of doing it yourself w/out having to sit around waiting for it to be built on another persons time.

Back