hunting truck?

Just wondering what kind of setups you guys have ...winch, tires,spot lights, calling stands,dog boxes stuff like that. Thinking of building my 87 Toyota as a sole purpose hunting truck....would love to see some photos of your guys trucks ..

I run my daily driver. Around here I dont know if stands in the truck would help much as there is a lot of ground relief. I think with flatter ground the stands that I have seen would work very well.

I use the only truck I've got, a 95 Chevy Z71, no rack or anything since night hunting is a sin in Arkensaw.

It would probably be better if it wasn't red and maybe if the little bit of chrome was covered.

Shayne

I just picked up an older Jeep cherokee for a dedicated hunting rig. Will put a roof rack and a hitch on it so I can put my hitch hauler on it as well. I had my truck stolen and wasn't able to replace it. until now.

02 Toyota with cross bed tool box full of hunting goodies, home made dog box, and my little off road trailer full of camping gear gets me away from the crowds and goes everywhere I have any buisness being.
S7301142.jpg

007-1.jpg

Toyota's pretty hard to beat for a dedicated hunting rig.
I'm on my third one.
87 reg cab died after 135000.
92 reg cab was still going after 235000 when I traded it in on this truck. It's currently got 121000 and still runs like the day I bought it. The extra cab and V-6 are nice, but my 92 was hands down the best hunting rig.

Gotta love that old beast that is nice ....love the dog box yota ...looks like a cool setup to get away from folks ...my daily driver is a 2wd silverado ...so I am limited to calling areas but not Afraid to walk ..and lord knows I could use the excersice Lol...anybody ever run yotes down in a RAZR ..the little side by side...

This year I'm using my f250 long bed. Not ideal by any means but it's what I have ready. '1991, big block so it gets terrific gas mileage.

But it fits 2 elk comfortably in the bed, has multiple accessory lights and a 12k winch.

I've been going back and forth on building either my tracker up or buying an old toyota and building it instead. Good chance I'll end up doing both over the next year or so.

I sold my actual hunting rig last year, haven't started the build on the next one yet.

picture0001.jpg

0919001846a.jpg

This will be the base for the next trail rig. But it will end up in 33 or 35" tires, winch etc. Just have to get moved to the new house so I can start setting up my shop and room to work on it.
2011-09-07_12-45-33_913.jpg

Hard to beat the suzuki/geo for size and price. Pretty much go anywhere in stock trim, really go anywhere with a few parts thrown at them. And a fraction of the price of my jeeps, and really a fraction of the side by side's prices that got me into the samurai to start with.

I've always thought, depending upon how many hunting buddies you take, a jeep, or the above samurai with a small trailer, would be the ultimate hunting rig.

You can get it into tight spots, and still carry your gear and some dead yotes without smelling 'em.

BUT!!!

I've taken my old '87 Honda many the time, even my '03 Focus, the Wife's minivan....whatever it takes to get you there!!!

That's my deal, I don't care what rig I gotta take, as long as I go.

I feel the same way about guns...although I defiantly don't want to sit next to the guy with the broke 300 mag!
wink.gif

Even AR 15's are bad with a flash suppressor.....don't like putting my ears through that kind of pain.

Dodge Megacab with pop up camper. I usaly stay out for at least three or four days. Chains,winch,anchors,tow straps/chains,tire repair, jack,shovel,ax,saw,tools ect.

I had to walk home alot when I was younger

Rigged up my '02 Wrangler to fit my hunting needs quite nicely w/9.5ti Warn Winch on front (a bit larger than needed but robbed from my silverado when it was replaced by the jeep) and a 2000# ATV winch on rear for animal retrieval. Use the hitch mounted chair for night hunting and as a base for the retrieval winch on rear. No tellin' what you're liable to find hangin' out there.

35532153682_f15b3d8c4a_b.jpg

35534028352_7b8b5a838e_o.jpg

35317773180_558b2147cd_b.jpg

Rack on front comes in handy for smaller game and on a good day serves to carry a second animal when rear boom is tied up as it was on this particular evening
smile.gif

34895191193_b4fec8185d_c.jpg

35535896972_50ce3bf31f_c.jpg

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: yotebuster10I am really liking your calling chair on the back of the jeep...and it looks like you got your moneys worth by the pics.Lol....very nice

That chair doesn't owe me much, yotebuster. I originally built it for my silverado and moved it to the jeep later. Can move to/from any vehicle w/a 2" receiver hitch. It has evolved over the years but has taken up pretty permanent rsidence on the jeep now. Had to move the boom closer to the hitch on the jeep to reduce mechanical leverage when a rather large nilgai pulled the threads on a bumper mounting bolt. The truck had a frame mounted hitch but jeep used bumper bolts for mounting hitch.

34842849774_7e5c415db6_b.jpg

34893836533_de03793da4_b.jpg

Regards,
hm

Back