5.56-6x45 questions

Quote:1) SAAMI and manufacturers both say do not fire 5.56 out of a .223

Of course SAAMI and manufacturers say NOT to fire non SAAMI manufactured cartridges in SAAMI chambers. This is obvious and I would think anyone wouldn't expect them to say otherwise. A manufacturer being a member of SAAMI telling people to use non SAAMI manufactured ammo in a SAAMI chamber would be booted from the SAAMI..

Anyone that has access to a pair of calipers and a scale along with knowing the powder burn rate of most 5.56 ammo (WC846, WC844, H335) knows you can interchange them. Now if I was a member of SAAMI or a manufacturer belonging to SAAMI I couldn't/wouldn't tell you to interchange them.

What is sad is most of the .223/5.56 internet debates are filled with reloaders and it only takes about 30 min measuring, pulling and weighing cartridges and components to know the facts.

Originally Posted By: CCPQuote:1) SAAMI and manufacturers both say do not fire 5.56 out of a .223

Of course SAAMI and manufacturers say NOT to fire non SAAMI manufactured cartridges in SAAMI chambers. This is obvious and I would think anyone wouldn't expect them to say otherwise. A manufacturer being a member of SAAMI telling people to use non SAAMI manufactured ammo in a SAAMI chamber would be booted from the SAAMI..

Anyone that has access to a pair of calipers and a scale along with knowing the powder burn rate of most 5.56 ammo (WC846, WC844, H335) knows you can interchange them. Now if I was a member of SAAMI or a manufacturer belonging to SAAMI I couldn't/wouldn't tell you to interchange them.

What is sad is most of the .223/5.56 internet debates are filled with reloaders and it only takes about 30 min measuring, pulling and weighing cartridges and components to know the facts.

What size calipers are you using. I tried to measure my leade but my calipers won't fit in the chamber. You using moly lube or something to make it fit?
grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ScryptFirst off, I'd like to thank y'all for hosting this forum and I hope I don't cause too much trouble
tt2.gif

Shoulda been your first clue fellas. Cast bait, set hook and reel like he11. Looks like the fishin was fantastic.

Congrats on some of those catches Scrypt. Ya done good.
tongue_smilie.gif

For 62-77gr .224, I am considering Ramshot TAC, Hodgdon Varget, and Alliant Reloader15.

From what I read, all of these should work well enough with 6x45 and .308.

Any recommendations for or against?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ScryptFor 62-77gr .224, I am considering Ramshot TAC, Hodgdon Varget, and Alliant Reloader15.

From what I read, all of these should work well enough with 6x45 and .308.

Any recommendations for or against?

I had a bit of a journey developing 75-77 grain 5.56 loads. My goal was to duplicate the MK 262 Mod 0 round with a velocity of 2750 FPS through a 16 inch carbine barrel. Using the Optimal Charge Weight method (OCW)I started with TAC using Hornady 75 BTHP and 77 grain SMK's. That stuff meters so easy and velocity was great, right at 2750 but I was unable to obtain decent accuracy. I think my barrel just didn't like it but I have read many others report mediocre accuracy as well. Same thing with the Hornady 75's so I moved to 77 SMK's

I tried AA2230 again with mediocre results but the accuracy was good with 55 grain bullets.

Tried H4895
thumbdown.gif

I settled on Varget for a while. It gives great accuracy and is very insensitive to temperature variations. The downside is it is a stick powder and meters poorly. I was having to compress loads just to get to 2575 FPS through a 16 inch barrel.

I wasn't quite satisfied with velocity and and metering so I finally settled on RE-15 and CCI 450 primers. It meters easier and I can reach 2600 without pressure signs or compressing the load. Not quite the speed I was looking for but without access to factory blended powders it's pretty standard.

The price of SMK's started going through the roof after they beat out Nosler for the MK262 Mod 1 contract so I switched to Nosler 77 OTM's. I get identical accuracy and trajectory out to 300 yards ,they are a few dollars cheaper, and deliver more consistent fragmentation.

I use H335 for my 6x45 so I tried that recently for the Nosler 77's but the results were mediocre. As I recall I did try RE-15 for 6x45 but accuracy wasn't great.

Of course every barrel is different but that is my experience.

Last edited:
Ya'll might want to give AR Comp a look-see as it burns about the same as Reloder 15 and seems cleaner burning and meters pretty well. There is data on Alliant's website.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760

"I really like 8208 XBR in the 223 family."

Me too - It is now my first choice "go to" powder for the 222,223, 222 Mag, and the 6mmBR cartridges.

Back