Best factory rifle in 6.5x284

nodakor

Hello, I've decided on purchasing a hunting/target rifle in 6.5x284. I primarily hunt whitetail, mule deer and antelope.
I see that Savage makes the long range hunter in 6.5x284, but I would like to know if there are any other options in the $1200 price range.
Thanks!

I agree on the custom, but 1200 might make it a little tough. You could do it on a Savage action, especially if you have a donor action. You could also buy used and put the extra money in glass, then later rebarrel.

Would not spend 1200 on a savage long range hunter, that's just dumb...

Id try an look for good used one...just be careful because barrel life isn't the greatest on this round.

That or id rebarrel a current rifle you have if that was an option. Be cheapest surest way to come outwith a shooter anyways.

In that price range, if you're looking for one that you can buy and shoot right now, you'll be hard pressed to find something better than the Savage. I may not care for how they look but there is no denying how well they shoot.

Thanks for the replies. I went to my local gun shot to take a look at the Savage and they just happened to have a used 6.5x284 Savage long range hunter for $699. It looks to be in pretty good shape but I don't like the stock. I'm under budget for the gun so am thinking of looking for a better stock.
Anyone know if thats an ok deal and if there is anything available in aftermarket stocks?

Originally Posted By: nodakorThanks for the replies. I went to my local gun shot to take a look at the Savage and they just happened to have a used 6.5x284 Savage long range hunter for $699. It looks to be in pretty good shape but I don't like the stock. I'm under budget for the gun so am thinking of looking for a better stock.
Anyone know if thats an ok deal and if there is anything available in aftermarket stocks?

There is lots of aftermarket parts for savage I personally dont like them

I have had two Savage Max-1 rifles in 6.5x284. Still have one, sold the other to finance another purchase. Both are very accurate with 140 Bergers. Too bad Savage made them in a 24" tube instead of a 26". As far as aftermarket stocks, I am not aware of a replacement for the Accustock rifles.

Savage makes a special run 6.5x284 for Cabelas. It comes with a 24" heavy stainless fluted barrel, accustock and accutrigger for $749.99. Id get that one way before I upped that much cash for the long range hunter.

Probably not what your looking for but you did say hunting/target.My buddy has the f-class Savage 6.5x284 he bought it used with 50rounds down the pipe worked a pretty decent load up for it.

5 shot group shot today and yes he bucked the last shot lol
photo-14.jpg

Originally Posted By: nodakorThanks for the replies. I went to my local gun shot to take a look at the Savage and they just happened to have a used 6.5x284 Savage long range hunter for $699. It looks to be in pretty good shape but I don't like the stock. I'm under budget for the gun so am thinking of looking for a better stock.

Get ahold of TT35 on here and have a McMillan made for it. The best option in aftermarket stocks.

Back