#2 Bridger double coils.

cherokee305

New too trapping. We got a little rain today, and now it's going to freeze up, snow chance tonight. Will my double coil traps be able to break thru fast enough or should I be pulling them up for the season?

don't pull them for the season. once it freezes 're bed them in dry dirt, and you are good To go. as long as your dirt stays dry it can't freeze.

re bed if they are frozen. Sometimes it is just the top crust is frozen, I lift it off with my scratching tool and it is good. It takes about a week here for moisture to seep into the trap bed and freeze the trap in dry dirt or peat moss. Then rebed it.

I guess my next question would be how are you baiting once the ground is froze? Also how are you digging a trap bed in frozen ground? I pulled all my traps today. They were all froze in after the rain yesterday.

Bedding in frozen ground is the same as bedding in concrete!
lol.gif

Really, hammer and chisel time. Use that to gouge out your basic bed hole and then use dry dirt, peat, whatever, to create the bed and cover the trap.

As for bait, you could go to just a scent post set or you can use some rebar or other stake and the hammer from above to make your bait hole...pound stake into the ground...pull it out...repeat until you get the hole you need.

Use a full sized pick ax, if it can be done, it is much faster with a pick ax. I broke the crust or removed it on my rain frozen ones. I should be bringing a few home soon, just set them.

Back