Staking down traps?

cathntr

How do you guys stake down your foothold traps when targeting coyotes? Do you use just one stake or two? Also what do you do if you catch someone's dog in your trap? Let em go and send them home with a broken leg or what?

if using stakes i use two and cross stake. but i usually use earth anchors. i put almost 3 foot of cable on mine. i trap some pretty sandy areas, and its always better to have too much than not enough.

Earth anchors are the way to go. Light weight and easy to pack alot in your pack.

Also if you catch a dog, just let it go... Your trap should not break its foot unless its a little tiny lap dog.

Bryan

So traps dont break the feet of coyotes that you catch? There must not be as much pressure behind a trap as im thinking. I figured when the tripped the pan and the jaws snapped it would break a bone.

Nope, just holds them tight. Normally. I have not been trapping for a long time, but every fox, yote, or coon I caught never had the foot broken. Some times a little cut or swelled but ever broken.

I use bridger's 1.75 modified with offset jaws 4 coiled and base plated.

Bryan

earth anchor type anchors, like Wolfangs are far superior to 1 or 2 stakes of steel. They are lighter, and have nearly 360 degrees of swivel, a steel stake can only allow round and round action. Anchors are usually not pullable by thieves, thus saving me several 20$ traps in the past 20 yrs. Steel stakes should be a thing of the past, like toothed traps, both are inferior compared to equipment choices today!

Wolf Fangs in 18" with a cable stake driver and a post hole digger is all a guy needs.....and u dont need the post hole digger until your done with the set....BET!!!!!!!
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: Tactical .20on firm soil you can shorten an anchor like the WFang to around 12", just make sure they anchor if sandy or real loose soil.

if u get 18" u just dont drive it in as far in firm or semi frozen soil......then when u need 18" for loose or less firm ground u have it......BET!!!!!!!
thumbup1.gif

WOW this is starting to sound like a Wolf fang anchor commerical more then anything, at least with what I use I DONT NEED A POST HOLE DIGGER, just my trapping trowel. dig down 2 inches farther and hook the loop and pull the stake back out of the ground.

I use a fox hollow superstake head with machine chain instead of cable.

open a link of chain and connect it to the stake head. Close the link and weld it shut. Attach the stake to the trap with a HD swivel and J hooks and you are ready to roll.

if you want a bullet proof setup, weld the j hooks shut as well and you will need a puller or bolt cutters to remove the trap.

Originally Posted By: Jeff ErwinWOW this is starting to sound like a Wolf fang anchor commerical more then anything, at least with what I use I DONT NEED A POST HOLE DIGGER, just my trapping trowel. dig down 2 inches farther and hook the loop and pull the stake back out of the ground.

WOW and YOUR STARTING TO SOUND LIKE A DW.............u promote what u want and everyone else will too its an open forum.....as well nobody was responding to U or even asking U if u did need a POST HOLE DIGGER it was only a recommendation to another member...WAFDW
lol.gif
.........PERIOD!!!!!!
cool.gif

Back