Primers for reloading AR-15?

I may have screws up. I bought 4000 Remington 6 1/2 srp I got them from a old man not reloading anymore. I got them to use in my ar until I come across this post. I use a win primer federal brass 24 grs of benchmark with 55 gr. Nosler bt. Should I not use the Remington or new win primers? The old man had some magtech small rifle primers. They was 18.00 dollars a 1000 the rem 6 1/2 was 20.00 dollars a 1000. Should I not load the rem or new win? Please tell me what u think. I only shoot my ar to sight it then at a predator.

Normally, you will do fine with the regular primers....The only potential problem is when you drop the bolt carrier on a live round since the firing pin is free floating and there is a potential for a "Slam Fire"...

As previously posted, just be sure the muzzle is pointed in a safe direction...The chances of it happening is very slight...

I've only seen it happen once in one of quite a few action competitions, but the fact that is can happen just needs to be considered....

I can say that rem 6 1/2's don't work in the 223, i tried em, everyone had a burnhole in it with the same loads i had been using cci400's in, which now i'm told don't work either, but i have had good luck with 4oo's, it seems they tend to flatten a bit eaiser than 7 /12's or 41's though.

Originally Posted By: Jack RobertsIf you are worried about a slam fire in an AR, you have to be terrified about being struck by lightning. It is much more likely.

Jack

While slam fires are extremely rare there are certainly many reported incidents out there. I use CCI 450's for my 5.56 and 6x45 and Remington 7 1/2 for my 300 Blackout.

I agree with Denny. I use CCI #41 and 400's. The 400 does flatten before the #41 and I use it when working up a load, then switch to #41's.

Next time you load a cartridge and eject it without firing it, take a look at the primer. There will be a tiny indent from the firing pin there just from the bolt seating it. In hunting season I might load and eject that first cartridge more than a few times if I don't take a shot. With thin cup primers I might eventually set one off when letting the bolt ride home.

No, not in 223 or .17, rem advises against 6 1/2's in these 2.Originally Posted By: varmit_masterI shoot Remington. 223 ammo don't they use the 6 1/2 in factory loads. Just asking.

Originally Posted By: goose_boyJust wondering about those #41s, I have never had a problem myself and I know it is SUPER rare, but I'm working up new load for it so if it performs as well as the rest and could POSSIBLY help prevent an AD for the same money then I figured I might as well. If they are indeed the same as a 450 I'll just use those though, easier to get ahold of.

I uses them all the time in my 5.56mm and my 6.8mm.

I just loaded/shot a few rounds with Tulammo priners, which have the copper cup and are soft. Guess I should have done more research on them. Think I'll switch back over to the Remmy 7.5's after this discussion.....

Back